Hidden and Dangerous MINIGAME

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
rambo 999
Private

Hidden and Dangerous MINIGAME

Unread post by rambo 999 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:56 am

Any chance the hidden and dangerous minigame can be brought back? because it was an absolute classic!!!

Jason
Administrator

Re: Hidden and Dangerous MINIGAME

Unread post by Jason » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:17 pm

Lars and myself have been trying to track it down but the company that made it have disappeared.

The hidden and dangerous 2 mini-game that was hosted on the gathering website was developed by G.B.T. - Global Business Technology - www.globalbusinesstechnology.com
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

rambo 999
Private

Unread post by rambo 999 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:54 pm

is there any chance that a new company can pick up where they left off?

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:38 pm

We could recreate something using javascript or flash I suppose but it would take an animator and a good action-script (flash) programmer... if someone has details on how it all worked we could write up a specification sheet and I would pay someone to write it from a freelance board or something... as long as it didn't cost too much funny01

Anyone remember how it all worked? it was turn based and you had a limited view... you could turn your view or move back side ways or forward as ONE GO or one move per round

rambo 999
Private

Unread post by rambo 999 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 pm

yeh and you could choose either to be a medic, sniper, assault rifle,etc,  as well as being able to knife from close range. camouflaged in the trees was a gd tactic to attack people, and the sniper was used by a random dot moving and u had to click the mouse in time as it went through the centre dot...which was harder to do the higher the rank the person u were trying to kill was. something like a 3 second timer between actions and u couldnt move and shoot at the same time. when u died u had a bit of time when a medic could come and restore u to something like a quarter health.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Wow, this is really great. Been thinking alot lately about getting into Flash game development (been learning ActionScript 3/Flex development). I have a book on the way grin01

How many players did it support? were there teams? I only played it a couple of times. All I can really remember is the limited view, ability to shoot or move but not at the same time.

rambo 999
Private

Unread post by rambo 999 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:56 pm

yeh it only came back to me recently.. i think it was 4 or 5 per side, 2 teams.. snipers had longest sight, then assault rifle and medic, then the big machine gunner which was more powerful but shortest distance. there were buildings u could go into, and u couldnt see passed the door unless u stuck your body out a bit which made yourself prone to knifing. i just remembered there was dynamte as well, which would have a set timer of between 6 and 12 secs (cant remember time exactly) which was great when being chased i seem to remember. u could normally move anywhere within a centimetre/little more from your location per go. medics had around 8 refills of medicine to restore themselves or others.

rambo 999
Private

Unread post by rambo 999 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:01 pm

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Wow, excellent a screenshot of the game thup01

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:55 am

Well it has nearly been a year and now that I actually know Flash and how to develop games with it I can actually re-create the H&D2 mini-game myself but I need help. First of all I barely remember how the game played, so if anyone can post what they remember it being like, please do. Also I'm not an artist, happy to hire someone if anyone knows anyone... eh? help01

rambo 999
Private

Unread post by rambo 999 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:10 pm

fantastic! the first time ive looked on here in over a year and you sent a message 2 weeks ago. i've written a bit about it on the thread already, and the link in the thread also highlights a few good points about the game.

there is a view and action bar down the right hand side which has a time limit - the view bar has a shorter time than the action one tho theyare both quite quick (3-5 secs). the action bar allowed allowed you to either move or shoot within that go - not both. you also had a circle around you which showed your shooting range - small viewer covered this, medium exceeded it by about a cm.

9 levels of rank that you could climb, increasing your power and accuracy.

choices of player:
medic - can heal/regenerate people a number (maybe infinity) amount of times but has limited time to recover the injured person if dead.
rockets - something like 2-3 rockets ammunition
assault rifle - weaker but longer distance
heavy gunner - strong but short distance
sniper - a dot running over the enemy which you've got to click when alligned with the centre dot in the middle of the enemy. if you are of a good rank or against some weaker opponent the easy it is.

secondary options being dynamite (lasting around the time it took for 2 moves), frags and mines.
everyone can knife.

3 sights - short medium and long sight for snipers.

you click on the enemy and the option to either shoot or knife comes up depending what the situation is and how close you are. on your own team if you are a medic when you are next to your guy you click on him and an option to heal will be there, same with yourself - which, if you can remember, made it possible to med-knife which was a useful tactic.

doors were open but if you were inside you couldnt see out and vise versa until you stuck your head in. trees were a goodway to hide as it covered/mostly covered you, however you could still pick them out by randomly clicking in the trees when the action bar had restored.

i think thats all that i can remember!

rambo 999
Private

Unread post by rambo 999 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:54 pm

o yeh just in case you havent seen jason, there has been some development on your request about the game on the forum at this site: http://giantflyingsaucer.com/blog/?p=13

good luck!

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:42 am

Thanks rambo, I'm still at the gathering of details stage once that's complete I will write up a development and gameplay document for people to review (to see if it's accurate to the original).

Xperience007
Private

Unread post by Xperience007 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:17 pm

I remember this game when i was 11 or 12  and noone ever tryed to make a similar game =/

after I complete OO c++ and graphics I'll help with this game

Here is everything on how to play.

The max number of players is 8. But more players will keep the war interesting

How to Play:

Your character is displayed on the map circled in green. Every 5 seconds, you can perform an action, such as moving, attacking, etc. When you are able to perform an action your mouse cursor will become a ?hand?.When you are unable to perform an action the circle will turn red and a 'Move meter' on the left of your screen will count down until you are able to move again.

You will notice that you also have two range indicators: visible range, and attack range.

Your visible range is the area lit up around your character, and you share your visible range with other players on your team. You will only be able to see enemies within your teams visible area. (See also Important Junglewar Features)

Your attack range is indicated by a red circle around your player. You can only attack enemies within that area.

Moving:
Click and drag your character around the map using the mouse. When you let go of the mouse button your character will move to that location. Your character will only move to that location if the terrain allows it, otherwise your character will snap back to it?s original location.

Other actions:
I f you are carrying a gun or grenades and you see an enemy within your attack range you can click on the enemy character and a menu appears to allow you to attack them with either your gun or grenades. Likewise, if you have a medikit and wish to heal a friendly player, you need to move directly next to them, then click on their character and, again, a menu appears.

If you are carrying the Engineer kit, you can click on your own character and a menu will appear to allow you to set an explosive in that location.
If you are carrying a radio to call an airstrike, you can click on any friendly character to get the menu to allow you to call in the airstrike in that character?s location, including your own character.
Explosives and airstrikes are timed not to detonate for 30 seconds to allow all the friendly characters to move away.

Important Junglewar Features:

Landing Zones and Extraction points
Some missions require you to reach an LZ or Extraction point. These areas are lit up on the map as soon as they become available. Get your character there to complete your mission!
Destroyable Objects
Some maps contain huts or bridges that you can destroy. You will need to use explosives or an airstrike to blow up these objects on the map.

Attack indicator
If you are attacked by an enemy, a red arrow indicating the direction of the enemy that attacked you will appear. This is especially important if there are a lot of enemies in your visible area so that you know which one is attacking you, or if you are US and a VC player is attacking you from outside of your visible area.

Visible area
If you are a new US character your visible area will be less than that of a new VC player. VC have better knowledge of the jungle and the area, thus their ability to see enemies is better than that of the US. As your US character increases in skill, your characters knowledge of the area improves and your visible area will also increase.

Skills
New characters start with each of their skills at level 1. As you acquire points by completing missions you will gain ranks. For each rank your character increases you will gain 2 skill points to distribute across your skills. The score required for each rank is as follows:

Level Score
1 0
2 20,000
3 50,000
4 90,000
5 150,000
6 240,000
7 370,000
8 550,000
9 800,000
Shooting skill
This applies to how well you fire guns. (M16, M60, AK47, Dektarev). The better your shooting skill is, the more damage you will do to enemies when using a gun.

Throwing skill
This applies to the use of grenades. If your throwing skill is low, when you attempt to throw a grenade at an enemy, the grenade my fall wide, short or long of the target. Improve your grenade throwing skill and your grenades are more likely to hit the target. Remember if your throwing skill is poor, you may even damage yourself if your grenade lands too close to you!!

Strength
When an enemy attacks you and your health falls to 0, your character becomes incapacitated. During this time a friendly player with a medikit can come and revive you before you die. Your strength determines how long you stay incapacitated before you die.

Stealth
The jungle is full of trees and bushes. Your stealth skill is your ability to use this to your advantage when an enemy attacks you!

Weapons and items:
At the weapon select screen you can choose to carry upto 2 weapons or items into the mission. If you are US and select the M60 gun, or VC and select the Dektarev you will not be able to carry any further items.

Ensure that somebody on your team is carrying the correct items to complete your mission. For example if your mission is destroy a bridge, make sure that somebody on your team is carrying explosives or can call in an air strike.

It?s also a good idea to make sure at least one of your team is carrying a medikit.

Remember that if your character has a low throwing skill, grenades might not be the best thing to carry. If you are new to Junglewar we recommend you take with you a gun and a medikit.

US Weapons

M16 Machine Gun
Standard issue US assault rifle
Unlimited ammo

M60 Heavy Gun
The most powerful gun in the game, but can only be carried into a mission without any other items. Unlimited ammo

Grenades
You can carry 4 grenades to throw at your enemies. Improve your throwing skill to increase the accuracy of your grenades.

Engineer kit
In the kit you will find 3 C4 explosives. You can set this at your location with a 30 second fuse. You can use these to blow up some huts and bridges as well as damaging other players on the map.

You will also find tools to disarm traps. Stand next to the trap you wish to disarm and click on it to disarm it.

Radio
Your bombers are on standby awaiting your coordinates for an air strike. If you are carrying a radio you can call in an air strike onto your location or any friendly players location in 30 seconds time. The explosion will damage players or blow up some huts or bridges within it?s blast radius.

Medikit
Carrying a medikit allows you to heal yourself or other player on your team. You can also revive other players on your team who are incapacitated before they die.

VC Weapons

AK47 Machine Gun
Standard issue VC assault rifle
Unlimited ammo

Dektarev Heavy Gun
Heavy gun used by the Vietcong. You must be at least level 6 before you can use the Dektarev. Unlimited ammo

Grenades
You can carry 4 grenades to throw at your enemies. Improve your throwing skill to increase the accuracy of your grenades.

Explosives
You can choose to carry 3 explosives. You can set this at your location with a 30 second fuse. You can use these to blow up some huts and bridges as well as damaging other players on the map.

Medikit
Carrying a medikit allows you to heal yourself or other player on your team. You can also revive other players on your team who are incapacitated before they die.

Traps
You can choose to carry supplies to set upto 10 traps on the map. Once you set them at a location if a character moves to that location the trap will trigger and damage the player. Other VC players will be able to see your traps across the map. US players can only see traps if they are standing next to them.

Private games
When creating a game you have the option to create a 'Private game' - this is a game that does not appear in the lobby list of games and not open to everybody else joining your game. This is to allow you to set up a game with just your friends.

You must enter the email addresses of people you would like to join your game. You must enter the email addresses seperated by a comma (,) without any spaces. They'll then recieve details of how to enter the game you've created.

If you are using the desktop version of Junglewar: Vietcong, it will attempt to load the Outlook Addressbook from your computer to make it easier for you to find email addresses of your friends.

Dialogue keys
To make it easier and faster to communicate with your friends a number of pre-defined dialogues have been included with hot keys. Including phrases such as "Medic!", "Enemy spotted" etc. To use these dialogues, press CTRL & various keys on the keyboard. Click the question mark (?) next to the Chat window in game to see a list of dialogues.

Huts, towers and bushes
There are various objects around the map that you can use tactically to your advantage. Towers increase your view range to approximately double your view when standing on the ground.

You can also use huts, towers and bushes to hide under from the enemy. Huts and towers can also be blown up using C4.
Last edited by Xperience007 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 am

Thank you very much Xperience007 and welcome to the forums thup01

All these details will definitely help. I'll be writing up the gameplay document in the next couple of weeks. I'll post a link here. After searching the web a fair amount it seems a lot of people from all over the world liked to play the H&D2 and Vietcong mini games.

If anyone knows a Flash animator or graphics designer please let me know, I'm just a programmer so I won't be able to make it pretty so I'll gladly pay for someone to create the graphics for the flash mini game.