Blender and i3d plugins

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
tharax7
Private

Blender and i3d plugins

Unread post by tharax7 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:55 pm

Hello, im new to hidden and dangerous modding, and ive been strugling to make .i3d model myself.
Ive been browsing discussions about moddeling and that it is possible to export animations in blender, because it is a 3ds compatible program, but i
cloud´t figure out how to use the .dle and .dli plugins

also sorry for bad english, and thanks :grin:

mr.47
Captain

Re: Blender and i3d plugins

Unread post by mr.47 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:58 pm

Well I tried it myself by unfortunately there's none.....hopefully one day we could improve it in a way ...

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:00 pm

Hello,

the .dle and .dli plugins are for 3ds max 3.0 and 3.1
You can only use a compatible 3DS exporter/importer for blender and rename the files. The only issue is if you use a .3ds to .i3d renamed file the editor reports that the model should be exported again. But it works anyway.

Maybe I will add native .3ds compatibily to HD Deluxe again.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:03 pm

NilsZ wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:00 pm
Hello,

You can only use a compatible 3DS exporter/importer for blender and rename the files. The only issue is if you use a .3ds to .i3d renamed file the editor reports that the model should be exported again. But it works anyway.

I didn't know that you could simply rename model from 3ds to i3d format and it works in the game. I never used Blender though. So no more old 3ds Max 3 versions needed? I remember that the classic H&D 1 models were in 3ds format, right? The H&D 2 uses 4ds extension on the other hand.
"Who Dares Wins" - SAS motto.

mr.47
Captain

Unread post by mr.47 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:58 pm

If you told me this earlier..................I surfed the West and the East of the internet to find that answer only to find way too simple as renaming a file .....

I learn something new everyday.

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:29 am

The drivers for 3ds files are still included in HD Deluxe. Thats why you could just rename the files.
As far as i know .i3d, .4ds and .5ds are all just crypted 3ds files. Somehow the developers liked to crypt their files.

tharax7
Private

Unread post by tharax7 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:46 pm

NilsZ wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:00 pm
Hello,

thanks, when i tried opening .3ds model and a in game sten in .i3d with notepad, the file structure looked similiar, and thought about it as .dta was also just renamed .rar, but didn´t actually try renaming it and now i know for sure

thanks!

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:19 pm

HD Deluxe dta and rar are also the same (but the game can handle only archives with no compression and packed with winrar 3.00). Anyway you can just open the dta's with winrar or 7zip.

The HD classic and HD2 dta files are crypted, they can't be opened without the key.

@Jakub: The hd classic models are uncrypted 3ds files. I think the best strategy would be trial and error with every 3D program and every 3DS plugin.
I think the newer versions won't work in HD Deluxe. I will now look about that "error" when using a renamed 3ds file :)

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:29 pm

mr.47 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:58 pm
If you told me this earlier..................I surfed the West and the East of the internet to find that answer only to find way too simple as renaming a file .....

I learn something new everyday.
Just see the world with eyes of a child :grin:

to be honest I tried that just for fun. I wondered why they made these i3d format :roll:

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:01 am

hey guys,

i was successful adding native 3ds support for editor. Now its possible to choose i3d or 3ds files from creation menu. Also the driver for UV textures of 3ds files was disabled. I deleted the error message and re-enabled the texture driver.

Attention, these files are not compatible with vanilla version. You need ultimate mod or extended mod.
bin.7z
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 179 times

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:08 am

NilsZ wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:01 am
hey guys,

i was successful adding native 3ds support for editor. Now its possible to choose i3d or 3ds files from creation menu. Also the driver for UV textures of 3ds files was disabled. I deleted the error message and re-enabled the texture driver.

Attention, these files are not compatible with vanilla version. You need ultimate mod or extended mod.

bin.7z
I checked your files uploaded above and i was able to import a 3ds model directly to the HDD editor (PPSh-41 from Call of Duty 2). Good work NilsZ! thup01

However, the model is shown without texture in the editor window. Is there possible to prevent 3ds Max 3.1 from renaming textures when you export a model in 3ds format? This is often problematic when a model consists of several textures files.

See pictures below.

P.S. So you could now basically use 3ds models instead of i3d in H&D Deluxe with your newest update, right? What about the inventory table? How the game will distinguish between 3ds and i3d when both models have the same names? Do you need to add the .3ds extension to the end of the filename into the table - like Model (scene) w_ppsh41new.3ds?
Attachments
Imported 3ds model.JPG
Imported 3ds model.JPG (36.49 KiB) Viewed 14734 times
Export to 3ds in 3ds Max.JPG
Export to 3ds in 3ds Max.JPG (96.64 KiB) Viewed 14734 times

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:17 pm

I think that is the most annoying thing in 3ds, it does only allow very short texture file names. i3d allows longer names and has different storage of UV coordinates.

If the game can't find a .i3d file with the desired name it will look for a .3ds file. So first choice is always the i3d.
you don't need to add the file extension in the tables, they will be deleted anyway. If you have two files with the same name it will only load the i3d.

Maybe we can get the source codes for 3ds plugins from blender, 3ds max XY, cinema 4D, etc. and modify them to i3d plugins. The source code for i3d plugin is also here, but it's pretty much code.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:20 pm

NilsZ wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:17 pm
I think that is the most annoying thing in 3ds, it does only allow very short texture file names. i3d allows longer names and has different storage of UV coordinates.

If the game can't find a .i3d file with the desired name it will look for a .3ds file. So first choice is always the i3d.
you don't need to add the file extension in the tables, they will be deleted anyway. If you have two files with the same name it will only load the i3d.

Maybe we can get the source codes for 3ds plugins from blender, 3ds max XY, cinema 4D, etc. and modify them to i3d plugins. The source code for i3d plugin is also here, but it's pretty much code.
Thanks for the explanation NilsZ! thup01

Your new feature for HDD editor to open 3ds files is useful when i want to quickly check a custom model when out of reach of my "modding laptop". That way i was able to look into weapon model imported from Medal of Honor Spearhead without the need of converting it first to i3d format. :mrgreen: