H&D Deluxe; the ultimate mod; Mission overhauls

Discuss your upcoming modding & editing projects here or shout out some ideas.
p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Re: H&D Deluxe; the ultimate mod; Mission overhauls

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 am

I decided to make another update of the Greece 1 mission - before i record the gameplay and upload it on my Youtube channel.

Beside already implemented changes i made few new ones:

- added "Potato masher" grenades to some enemy soldiers inventory;

- small bugs fixed.
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Who Dares Wins" - SAS motto.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:58 am

Every time you add grenades to the enemy, you always choose potato mashers, never those gray ones.

Also, did you give the Russians in Prague potato mashers, since the Soviet Union also had a potato masher grenade?

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:03 pm

Myron wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:58 am
Every time you add grenades to the enemy, you always choose potato mashers, never those gray ones.

Also, did you give the Russians in Prague potato mashers, since the Soviet Union also had a potato masher grenade?
Because "potato masher" grenades were the most common ones used by Wehrmacht. You see them on every single movie about WWII (either on original footage or on a war film).

No, i didn't give the Russians the "potato mashers" grenades, because the "Russian version" looks a bit different. They have already plenty of ammo for their PPSH-41 submachine-guns. I am not good at re-skinning 3d models. Maybe ask NilsZ for this.

To be honest, i added all those "potato masher" grenades to enemy soldiers inventory to prevent the situation, when the enemy still fires at you - even when they have no ammo left in their firearms! I didn't remember such bug being present in the classic H&D 1.

You could notice this bug in the early release of my modified Italy 3 mission, when the Italian partisans fired on the Germans with Luger pistols. The problem was, that i didn't equip them with Luger pistols only with Lee Enfield rifles! I "fixed" this bug by equipping the partisans with "potato masher" grenades, so when they run out of ammo they will simply stop shooting.
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Oh, yeah, I keep forgetting about those weird bugs; too bad my men can't conjure a pistol up out of thin air.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Myron wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:27 pm
Oh, yeah, I keep forgetting about those weird bugs; too bad my men can't conjure a pistol up out of thin air.
The only consolation is, that at least the H&D Deluxe has less bugs than the H&D 1 had. :roll:

I managed to fix some of the most annoying bugs of H&D Deluxe in my modified missions, but there is still more to come out and piss off the player.

I always wondered who tested this game before public release, that so many silly bugs get through the testing phase?

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:04 pm

p.jakub88 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:03 pm
To be honest, i added all those "potato masher" grenades to enemy soldiers inventory to prevent the situation, when the enemy still fires at you - even when they have no ammo left in their firearms! I didn't remember such bug being present in the classic H&D 1.

You could notice this bug in the early release of my modified Italy 3 mission, when the Italian partisans fired on the Germans with Luger pistols. The problem was, that i didn't equip them with Luger pistols only with Lee Enfield rifles! I "fixed" this bug by equipping the partisans with "potato masher" grenades, so when they run out of ammo they will simply stop shooting.
Its not a bug, its a feature. If the enemy runs out of ammo and has no other weapons, he "cheats" some pistol ammo in his inventory.

@Myron, I meant the AI driving speed. But of course you can make a high-speed-half-track-truck that runs over the whole map faster that you can say its name.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Its not a bug, its a feature. If the enemy runs out of ammo and has no other weapons, he "cheats" some pistol ammo in his inventory.
Name it whatever you like. For me this is stupid and unrealistic enemy behavior. The enemy should surrender or escape in such situation.

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Yes I agree. HD1 had only one programmer, so the AI has not many Features.
Grenade throwing is also really messed up in Deluxe. Enemies are much too shy to throw directly. They wait and wait until you are in a good distance.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:29 am

NilsZ wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 pm
Yes I agree. HD1 had only one programmer, so the AI has not many Features.
Grenade throwing is also really messed up in Deluxe. Enemies are much too shy to throw directly. They wait and wait until you are in a good distance.
In Classic, they would close the distance in order to be within grenade range, if I remember correctly.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:21 am

OK, i edited the Ardennes 3 mission was once again, because the US graves were previously placed on a minefield (i didn't know, that a minefield was put there by game developers). I changed the terrain material type from minefield to ice in that particular place - just like the game developers did for nearby terrain.
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:54 am

p.jakub88 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:21 am
OK, i edited the Ardennes 3 mission was once again, because the US graves were previously placed on a minefield (i didn't know, that a minefield was put there by game developers). I changed the terrain material type from minefield to ice in that particular place - just like the game developers did for nearby terrain.
Wow, I thought you put the destroyed jeep just for that reason; that the recon men had no idea there were mines there.

And then whoever put mines over the graves did so to deter thieves and necromancers.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 am

I told you that i didn't know that this area is mined - i overlooked the sign because it was small (at least for me).

I removed the yellow sign from the concrete pillar from the road and from a tree nearby.

By the way - i placed the jeep wreck, because the US soldiers got ambushed and killed during their recon mission - could happen.

Download this mission again if you want.
Attachments
ardenes3.rar
Updated 22.12.2017
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 343 times
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:48 pm

I decided to make another update of the Greece 2 mission - before i record the gameplay and upload it on my Youtube channel.

Beside already implemented changes i made few new ones:

- added "Potato masher" grenades to some enemy soldiers inventory;

- small bugs fixed.
Attachments
greece2.rar
Updated 22.12.2017
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 320 times

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 pm

After some testing i decided to edit the Greece 1 mission again - hopefully the last time.

Beside already implemented changes i made a few new ones:

- changed behavior of two partisans, so now they will guard the assigned areas (one guard in front of the gate leading to the church grounds and second at the village main square with well);

- slightly repositioned a roadblock and an enemy hidden behind, so now the player will be able to silently eliminate the partisan which is guarding the gate leading to the church grounds. In addition, the player now has the possibility to enter the church grounds without raising the alarm and the opportunity to eliminate silently 1 additional enemy inside.

- repositioned the sniper on the church tower (now he will stay at the middle of it to prevent him from accidentally fall down which happened randomly). The sniper will aim at the main village square, so the player could sneak silently into church grounds unnoticed.

Those changes above were made in order to encourage the player to silently eliminate enemies whenever possible. However, not all enemies could be eliminated this way.
Attachments
greece1.rar
Updated 23.12.2017
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 308 times
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:21 am

Myron wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:58 am
Every time you add grenades to the enemy...
I have good idea for the name of this mod: POTATOE MASHER MOD
thup01 funny01