How...?

Discuss modding & editing for H&D Deluxe using the Insanity 2 editor and 3d Studio Max here.
Dwin
Sergeant

How...?

Unread post by Dwin » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:36 pm

[quote=""Grenni""]Well, have you managed to get enemies dismount a vehicle, Bighouse? Cause I never did :? . Once you make them use a vehicle, let them drive to a certain CP, wait for a signal and move to another CP by foot, they will not budge from their seat when they receive the signal to dismount.
So I simply use the trick to make them invisible once they reach their destination and let another fellow become visible right beside the truck. Unfortunately not even that works all the time.[/quote]

Yes, that was the method I was using. It didnt work, but that could be because of a number of reasons. IIRC, enemies will ignore their programming if they are in a firefight or are doing something else.

In my scene, the driver sends a signal, after arriving at the CP, to tell the soldiers on the truck to get off. I was thinking of making this signal be continuously sent, so that even if they are fighting when the first signal is sent, they wont be when the second signal is sent.

I've also tried making the soldiers "use" the vehicle again, but I dont think that worked either. Once again, that could've been because of many reasons though.

In my scene, you take the role of Russian soldiers. I edited the fifth Danube mission, I think. The one where you have to defend a strip of road from the Germans until a plane arrives.

The 3 of you are part of a AT gun battery. You have to defend the field from trucks, half-tracks, and a variety of tanks. Idealy, the trucks and half-tracks would deploy German soldiers with Panzerfausts, who would shoot at the AT guns. Once certain AT guns were destroyed, tanks would move to certain positions of the map and start shooting at your position.

You had the choice of joining the AT gun battery to try to destroy the vehicles before they could come close, or you could arm yourself with an SMG and shoot down the enemy troops as they dismount.

Bighouse
Sergeant

How...?

Unread post by Bighouse » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:16 pm

[quote=""Grenni""]Well, have you managed to get enemies dismount a vehicle, Bighouse? Cause I never did :? [/quote]

Well this was just theory, haven't tried it yet. I started to make a desert map, where some soldiers would dismount a truck. I just haven't reached the part of editing yet.

It seems that I'm too lazy to edit my scenes in to missions :oops: Either I make too many terrains, or I'm just lazy (or lack of time lately)

Grenni
Sergeant

How...?

Unread post by Grenni » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:55 am

Ok, if you haven't tried it yet, let me assure you that it won't work :wink: - they simply are glued to their seats :( . The same goes for the command "guard"; once you tell a character to guard a CP, then wait for a signal and move on to another CP he will ignore the signal and keep his position stubbornly :x .
Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet!

Dwin
Sergeant

How...?

Unread post by Dwin » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:35 pm

There is one thing that will make them get out of a vehicle. If he is using a mounted gun on an Autocannon, runs out of ammo, still sees an enemy, and has his own weapon, he will exit the vehicle.

I dont know if all of the above conditions have to be fulfilled in order for him to exit a vehicle, but it's what I observed.

Dwin
Sergeant

How...?

Unread post by Dwin » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:53 am

Yup, another question.

How do I get certain models to show up in the map view? Some models appear and others dont.

On the original map that I am editing, some pieces of rubble are visible on the map view. But in mine, they are not.

Lars
Commando

How...?

Unread post by Lars » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:49 am

You mean on the tactical map view?
Select the models you want to show and press Game->Models on map->Mark slection

Dwin
Sergeant

How...?

Unread post by Dwin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:17 am

Thanks, that worked.

Now I have a problem...it just doesnt make sense.

My German wont walk on the patrol route he is told to walk on. He just walks around, seeemingly randomly around the patrol route, but never on it.

Checkpoints are user checkpoints. They are all connected. The German is told to "WALK CP" with the subject being the name of one of the checkpoints in the patrol route. I did not mispell the names.

Lars
Commando

How...?

Unread post by Lars » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:54 am

Normaly they only walk along the yellow checkpoints .. so if you want an exact route for him to follow you must make many many green route checkpoints next to the yellow walk cp?s so that he knows that he can walk there. Than it should work.

Dwin
Sergeant

How...?

Unread post by Dwin » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:50 pm

Another question, about accumulative damage.

With vehicles like trucks and jeeps, if you shoot it enough times, it will explode. How do I apply this property (or the opposite) to a vehicle?

Lars
Commando

How...?

Unread post by Lars » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:59 pm

It?s the version setting-> resistance set -> and number. If you want to know witch number does witch damage open the Table Resistance (File-> Resistance).

Dwin
Sergeant

How...?

Unread post by Dwin » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:45 pm

Yes, I know that. Is there a way to define how many bullets it takes to destroy something?

If you click on the resistance set, it opens up some other options. One of those is "thresh". What does that do?

What I'm trying to do is to get a vehicle to be able to take multiple bazooka shots to be destroyed.

Lars
Commando

How...?

Unread post by Lars » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:25 am

Sorry don?t know that. Might be that Grenni knows it.. because he used the bazooka shots for the 'a stalking panther' addon

Grenni
Sergeant

How...?

Unread post by Grenni » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:00 am

The editor is not very flexible regarding this... :(
E.g. I chose a resistance set of 5000 for a tank which makes it invulnerable to granades and bazookas (unfortunately). The treshold of the resistance set is 4999. For an anti-tank gun standing somewhere I took fire-power 4999 - that means, that the first hit will not destroy the tank but the second. Any weapon with a fire-power less than 4999 does not do a single scratch to the tank - you can hit it as often as you want with it, it will never explode.

Dwin
Sergeant

How...?

Unread post by Dwin » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:29 pm

OMG, the editor is just plagued with problems/things not working.

So I have a detector set to kill a bunch of Germans when a signal is recieved.

It worked. Then it didnt. For no reason.

Edit: Wait, does capitilization on the names matter? I'm going to find out...

Grenni
Sergeant

How...?

Unread post by Grenni » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:46 am

Yes, it does, German25 is not german25 - run the scene validity check and it will tell you, that the detector e.g. does not find the actor german25.