3rd person view, ok?

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
evilbean
Private

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by evilbean » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:18 pm

I'm curious. Who likes/dont like 3rd person view, and give me a reason!
Cause i think this argument is to lame: "You can look behind corners.. it's like cheating" Well.. if that is the only thing, then stop whine. cause the game is MENT to use 3person view, right?
It's even more fun when u can look how your character looks like, or how the camuflage works, how it looks when he sneaks behind some enemy's :wink: , open doors, throwing grenades, shoting, reloading etc.. as i said.. the game is ment to use 3rd person view! So i want everyone to say what they mean about this subject :P

www.norwegianresistance.tk

Lars
Commando

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by Lars » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:42 am

Depends on gamestyle ... occupation, dm and coop is fine for me with 3rd person cause you can respawn quickly. Objective is the only one I would say 1stperson is better because you can?t respawn everybody have the same chances ... I think if I mention Africa3/4 as maps you know what?s the problem i?m talking about. I wish the engine would only realy render the enemies you can see in 1stperson even in the 3rd person.

Grenni
Sergeant

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by Grenni » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:58 am

We have had that discussion previously ;) . Nevertheless I think that 3rd person is a must for every mode because you can comprehend the surroundings much better than when having this "tunnel-view" of 1st person. Even though you cannot see yourself from the behind in real life you always know where your feet exactly are (well, most of the time that is :lol: ), which you don't know in 1st person view on the screen. Also in real life you can just look left and right without turning your entire body and even see things in the corner of your eye and 3rd person compensates this capability quiet good.

But I totally agree that the game should only render enemies that are in line of sight from the players location, meaning all directions and not only in the pan of the actual camera-position. That way enemies around corners would not be seen, but e.g. an enemy showing up in a window to your left will be seen.

[quote=""Lars""]I think if I mention Africa3/4 as maps you know what?s the problem i?m talking about.[/quote]
Do you think of someone sitting in the tower with a DeLisle and a bunch of granades :twisted: :roll: :oops: :lol:

Btw. did I mention that I don't like games that only have a 1st person view? :lol: 8)
Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet!

Alexander
Captain

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by Alexander » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:12 pm

Once again as usuall i have to say the game is nothing... well its like playing the game with no sound to have 3rd personview O F F,

but iam not gonna say much more than that... you see... because of my love to 3rdpersonview.. iam actually banned from all klanspel.TV servers :P
just because i said what i meant about turning 3rdpersonview off... :twisted:

anyway... as said iam FOR 3rdpersonview.. always has, always will
Rendevouz with destiny!

Lars
Commando

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by Lars » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:50 pm

I never understand why they made an option "only 1stpersonview" I mean the should made the same with the 3rd personview. So that you can?t switch to the 1st. Would be more funny ;)

evilbean
Private

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by evilbean » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:07 am

hehe i agree:P

capthavoc
Lieutenant

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by capthavoc » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:46 pm

i refuse to play in 1st person

it's like fighting with a blindfold on there is no way to only turn youre head or peek above an edge
ok 3d person is mayby not realistish in the manner of ful 3d view of a normal person but this is as close as whe can get now

Jason
Administrator

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by Jason » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:07 am

I prefer the classic H&D1 3rd person camera styles but 3rd and 1st person cameras are what make H&D what it is... great :wink:
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Kabaz
Private

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by Kabaz » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:41 pm

I only use 1st person. I looking f?r realism and well im not used to se myself walk around......
And its a bit harder to only use 1st peson so I guess I will be a better hd2-soldier :D

Poorlaggedman
Private

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by Poorlaggedman » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:58 am

I dont like it because it gives a player a much greater LOS.

Intel and recon are 2 very important aspects of any military operation. Even in a game. When 2 opposing teams are facing off against each other, in any other terrain than a simple field where they stand face to face 18th century style, and its basically a face to face fight, in any other terrain than that recon is important. There is no doubt that recon is highly important to modern warfare.

Where does 3rd person aid in recon? Very simply it lets you view from a location that is not at eye level but up in the air and behind you. You can see someone sneaking up behind yourself for fricks sake. It does not require a player to use his eyes to spot targets, to expose himself. If an enemy is in a trench you may fire at him to keep his heads down. But no there is virtually no use in that as every player has a periscope, impurvious to damage 20 feet in the air. The player doesnt have to expose himself to danger. To say that has very little or no effect on gameplay is pure 6 month old cemented BS. I've played with 3rd person on, I use it. It gives a mammoth advantage.

It is not comparable to the basics of human senses. A periscope in the air behind the player is not a fundemental aspect of being a human being such as hearing. It has no basis of reality. A commando must expose his eyes around a corner to see whats around it, he doesnt have a camera watching him. It cuts down on realism very heavily.

Alexander
Captain

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by Alexander » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:40 am

A commando must expose his eyes around a corner to see whats around it
well actually modern day commandos do...

but still in 1st person view you have to stick your head out, but its WAY to hard to control what ur showing, you dont know if only the edge of your head or if your entire body is showing.

AND when laying in the snow... all silent with your sniper... just waiting... DO you seriously think someone is capeable to sneak up behind you and stab you with a knife? NO!

no mather what if your capeable of combining 3rd and st then ur a true hd2 player!
Rendevouz with destiny!

[1FJD] Olt Fudge
Private

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by [1FJD] Olt Fudge » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:43 pm

It is possible to stab people with a knife when 3rd person view is on, and they are lying down, just hope they arent paying attention :)
I like 3rdperson view a lot, but i dont understand why most of the main servers online dont use it frown01
"The knife is mightier then the gun... so get running" - [1FJD]
http://disko.co.uk/files/cars_6.wmv

Alexander
Captain

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by Alexander » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:42 pm

because they are stupid, thihihhihihi!

no ill tell you why, simply because this m***er F***ing clan ladder rules have decided it... :evil:

but its starting to show up more 3rd P view around the "world"
Rendevouz with destiny!

Tablett
Private

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by Tablett » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:49 pm

I think I'm gonna wait until I try the game..BUT I will say that I'll probably SUCK at first because I play a lot of CS:CZ online so I'm used to 1st player view and turning around looking in every direction all the time..but to be fair I used to play H&D a lot aswell so I'm going to assume that my brain remembers how that was and it'll just come back to me straight away ;)
Still...seems stupidly unrealistic and I'm sure I'll laugh my head of at first playing multiplayer with 3rd person view lol the whole sneaking behind someone and they see you is hillarious lol

Cyberus
Private

3rd person view, ok?

Unread post by Cyberus » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:49 am

I've noticed, and maybe this is because I'm using a P-3, that often times you can't hit didly in first person when you can hit fine in third (the perspective becomes shifted and you can't line your shots) and vice-versa. You have to have both, otherwise it doesn't work. Besides which, rolling in first is just wierd.
The strongest chains are those of the mind.