What was your favourite campaign and why?

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.

What was your favourite campaign?

Poll runs till Sun Jun 19, 2039 9:11 am

Operation Snowball
33%
Operation Nomad
25%
Operation Sea Wolf
8%
Operation Stranger
8%
Operation Challenger
No votes
Operation Overlord
13%
Operation Liberator
13%

Total votes: 24

geosouv
Lieutenant

Re: What was your favourite campaign and why?

Unread post by geosouv » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:29 am

@shrekdj

What are surrender monkeys? Do you mean the Germans that were surrendering in H&D 2?
Don't think you know who you are, know who you are

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:34 am

geosouv wrote:@shrekdj

What are surrender monkeys? Do you mean the Germans that were surrendering in H&D 2?
yeah, no sight of any monkey ready to surrender which boils down to simple hide and gun enemies which are now having deadly grenades and vast corners to hide :mrgreen:

MCh2207Cz
Private

Unread post by MCh2207Cz » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:30 pm

@shrekdj

Enemy AI has a value of morale. And this morale can be depleted by your actions, for example:
1)- killing other enemies around him in short time or in drastical (explosive) way, it happened to me few times that I totaly decimated a group of Germans and their vehicles using machine guns, RPGs and grenades. I then came to them with gunfire, shot few of them and the surviving rest instantly surrendered.
2)- injuring him (for example into leg, arm or taking his helmet down)
3)- shooting his weapon off (very hard, btw enemies can shoot your weapon off as well :evil:
4)- shooting very large amount of ammo around him (most efficient way is to shoot under his legs)

So basically every enemy can surrender but some of them seem to have "infinite" amount of morale (mostly officers and SS soldiers).

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:43 am

So basically every enemy can surrender but some of them seem to have "infinite" amount of morale (mostly officers and SS soldiers).
I understand your point but in SS its not possible to make them surrender smile01
I tried a lot and perhaps those who surrender are of no use given short campaign structure. I highly doubt SS even programmed just as H&D2. During first playthrough SS was amazing but after few replays Sabre Squadron is nothing more than passing your time killing enemies except One mission. :sad:

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:54 pm

In coop they surrender all the time... just shoot their weapons out of their hands.

MCh2207Cz
Private

Unread post by MCh2207Cz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:10 pm

I understand your point but in SS its not possible to make them surrender smile01
It depends a lot on your single player difficulty and also on gameversion (illusion softworks changed the code for the uniforms and morale in later patches - after the patch it is like in hd2ss).
In coop they surrender all the time... just shoot their weapons out of their hands.
Yeah, they do. But I don't take prisoners in coop because you cannot use enemy uniforms there :sad:

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:55 pm

MCh2207Cz wrote:I don't take prisoners in coop because you cannot use enemy uniforms there
Evil... no_02

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:14 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote:In coop they surrender all the time... just shoot their weapons out of their hands.
A very neat idea if every enemy did in H&D 2 would have completely amazing gmeplay :mrgreen:
I infact managed to piss off a japanese officer in the warehouse area of the first Burma mission by leaving him last to kill. I shot him few times on legs and twice on shoulders. He dropped his weapon and started to run like crazy. He finally surrendered :mrgreen: It works only in Carnage mode and not in Campaign mode angry01
MCh2207Cz wrote:
It depends a lot on your single player difficulty and also on gameversion (illusion softworks changed the code for the uniforms and morale in later patches - after the patch it is like in hd2ss).
Honestly I don't care now much about SS. It somehow broke my expectations early on during first playthrough. On second run it made me dump it and start playing better expansions of other titles. First Alpha Pack of Vietcong is way more fun and suspenseful than SS smile01

MCh2207Cz
Private

Unread post by MCh2207Cz » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:16 pm

Honestly I don't care now much about SS. It somehow broke my expectations early on during first playthrough. On second run it made me dump it and start playing better expansions of other titles. First Alpha Pack of Vietcong is way more fun and suspenseful than SS smile01
I mean that if you patch your hd2 with the last patch it will behave like hd2ss... ;)

Zunami
Corporal

Unread post by Zunami » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:26 am

My favourite campaign is the first one, because it sets the mood for the entire rest of the game.

You're alone, behind enemy lines, with limited supplies and enemies all over the place. Stealth, cunning and precise action is the ONLY thing that will keep you alive until you can extract.

However, it isn't the only campaign I really liked, but for me, it's more the individual levels.

I really loved the levels where you had to sneak up on a castle in the alps, and infiltrate it.
The entire environment in the level is just amazing.

The levels where you sneak into a building from underwater are also amongst my favorites. The game doesn't feature actual parachuting action, so pretending to be SAS isn't really as much fun as it could be. Pretending to be SBS however, is quite entertaining when you get to experience all of the aspects. (I know they're not really SAS, but Commando's)

I also loved Spaghetti airport and Oasis 1&2

My least favorite levels have to be the Japan levels. Not a big fan of those... Nuh uh.

Another of my favorite levels would be the one where you have to sneak into a town and save a contact, that is in turn dead when you get to him. That level always goes terribly for me! So I always end up in these crazy situations with a dead team, and wounded, with only a handgun to try and kill the remaining enemies.

jacobston
Lieutenant

Unread post by jacobston » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:04 am

I enjoyed both desert campaigns a lot, especially the one in SS. I felt like they were pulled straight out of episodes of the "Rat Patrol". I also liked the mission where you have to take over the Czech town and find the gold that the Germans were smuggling. Very Kelly's Heroes. I just wish that the maps were a bit bigger so I could move around the town and get in another way.

jacobston
Lieutenant

Unread post by jacobston » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:30 am

shrekdj wrote:
I tried a lot and perhaps those who surrender are of no use given short campaign structure. I highly doubt SS even programmed just as H&D2. During first playthrough SS was amazing but after few replays Sabre Squadron is nothing more than passing your time killing enemies except One mission. :sad:
I was able to capture a mechanic and another person in the first SS mission. Too bad there were no others in the campaign. But i do see your point, I went back to the first desert mission in SS in easy difficulty, took a BAR, walked right up to an enemy and shot at his feet using the "happyammo 1" and "heal 1" cheats to stay alive and keep shooting at him for ten minutes, he never surrendered, or ran out of ammo... :-?

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:20 am

The only reliable way to do it, is to shoot their weapon out of their hands.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

jacobston
Lieutenant

Unread post by jacobston » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:25 am

I liked Snowball, but there were some confusing bits. Particularly the snow. For instance, in the mission iceberg, we can tell that the snow is at least knee high. From my experience in knee high snow, I was wondering why I was able to walk on top of the snow, without sinking in at all, especially while carrying 25 kg of supplies. I understand that this is likely due to system limitations a decade ago, but I can imagine the potential of this with today's systems: things like skis or snowshoes as inventory objects to make movement easier.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 am

It is cold, the snow is packed tightly. :mrgreen:
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted: