H&D2 - IS it Worth buying?

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
shrekdj
Corporal

H&D2 - IS it Worth buying?

Unread post by shrekdj » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:08 am

Hi friends a new member here :)

Well I want to buy H&D2 after my playthrough of the Deluxe - The First installment which was amazing except minor frustrating moments.

Basically always wanted to add H&D2 to my collection but frankly (after playing demo), numerous bugs and the controls to be a bit clunky & confusing with stupid AI just dropped the idea since many reviewers too gave a lot of critical reception more on the cons than pros.

But, still the game had the potential with superb and varied campaigns and quite good looking environment and a true atmosphere.

Now, v1.60 of H&D2 is available at a near game shop and the lender is of the view that those many bugs and glitches are non-existent in this refresh retail copy. Also, there are no reviews of the v1.60 and so decided to land here and have a true opinion from the fellow H&D2 members for a better decision.

Basically, I need the game review but of the latest v1.60 and not the old copy which was obviously a let down.

I have some more questions but will wait for the responses and refine as necessary later.

Thank you for reading and taking time.

Waiting for serious feedback. :)

Ikaros
Sergeant

Re: H&D2 - IS it Worth buying?

Unread post by Ikaros » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:05 am

I've never taken care of bugs in H&D2. H&D2 is simply the best shooter I've ever played (though it's a bit outdated now)...

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:59 pm

All of the initial and frustrating singleplayer AI bugs were fixed during the first round of patches. The 1.12 patch adds some gameplay improvements that the expansion pack added. Although I prefer the original H&D game over H&D2 there are a lot of great missions in H&D2 that you just can't pass up. H&D as a game series is the best tactical squad based action in WW2 that you will come across.

The game was released in 2003 so it is dated graphics wise but is definitely worth a play through if you liked the original. Of course the graphics are better than H&D Deluxe :lol:

You can actually read about the patch improvements from the read me files on this page: http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.net/hd2 ... hp#patches

Maybe you should try out the Sabre Squadron demo here: http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.net/ss/files.php#demo

That said, the demos do not show the best levels in H&D2. Definitely give it a go, you can get the game for cheap now thup01

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:42 pm

1. Graphics are cool. They never were a concern!
2. Yes. An Absolute best shooter to actually give you an open ended feel to carry out objectives at will.
3. I played Deluxe only in Lone Wolf, v.i.z, 1 Soldier. It was simply a pain to order soldiers via map. Please correct me, if by all means, it is possible to command entire team via single press of a "key", like, Ghost Recon. I read the manual but nowhere it allows off the map commands. So, please give me some guidance regarding it as I would love to play H&D Deluxe with Squad tactics.
4. Oh yeah! its good to have a challenging mission campaign
5. Some more help requested regarding the following:

- Do the Enemy (patrols or camp structure) load randomly each time I replay? Ex: In SWAT 3, the enemy spawn points differed a lot hence offered a high replay value and tactic without memorizing their positions on the map.
- Can I play the mission just like Ghost Recon ordering an individual soldier and also controlling a team of soldiers by switching roles.
- Any differences or similarities between Ghost recon in terms of squad tactics would be great to know as well so that I can know exactly the key changes and similarities.

Thank You Ikaros and Jason so much.

Looking forward for the feedback and explore the forums :grin:

wanderer1825
Sergeant

Unread post by wanderer1825 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:52 pm

The best game of it's kind, even now.
I still dig it out every few months.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:49 pm

shrekdj wrote: 3. I played Deluxe only in Lone Wolf, v.i.z, 1 Soldier. It was simply a pain to order soldiers via map. Please correct me, if by all means, it is possible to command entire team via single press of a "key", like, Ghost Recon. I read the manual but nowhere it allows off the map commands. So, please give me some guidance regarding it as I would love to play H&D Deluxe with Squad tactics.
You can give general orders using the numpad like "follow me", "hold fire" etc.
shrekdj wrote:- Do the Enemy (patrols or camp structure) load randomly each time I replay? Ex: In SWAT 3, the enemy spawn points differed a lot hence offered a high replay value and tactic without memorizing their positions on the map.
I've only played SWAT 4 and that had some randomization of patrols but no H&D2 does like like the original game but the levels are more open and you can approach the mission in a few more ways than one. Also in some missions your actions will change the outcome of the mission grin01
shrekdj wrote:- Can I play the mission just like Ghost Recon ordering an individual soldier and also controlling a team of soldiers by switching roles.
You can do it, not sure if it's like Ghost Recon or not, it's not as good as GRAW2 order system.
shrekdj wrote:- Any differences or similarities between Ghost recon in terms of squad tactics would be great to know as well so that I can know exactly the key changes and similarities.
Not sure exactly but there isn't any "breaching" as such but you can set up the same sort of situation if you like.

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:22 am

You can give general orders using the numpad like "follow me", "hold fire" etc.
Okay, I switch to Map view -> Select soldier -> select follow me (mark it over the soldier) than, for move command, I select a point on the map -> Select Move -> Soldier heads for the target spot.
THATS IT

Now, I want to command above steps without switching to Map or drawing a line of movement from point A to B which is impossible after loads of search and tries.

Problems occur when
- Soldier just lays down without firing a bullet (despite marking "Action" over and above "Move")
- Soldier looks behind. towards me, rather towards the enemy and runs backward when ordered "Attack" or "Move"
- Some other stupid behaviour which are completely ODD.

Anyways, thanks wanderer1825 and Jason.
I will now order and play the H&D2 and begin a fresh start with new techniques improved over the first installment. thup01

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:33 pm

First off, shrekdj ... welcome to the board.
shrekdj wrote: Can I play the mission just like Ghost Recon ordering an individual soldier and also controlling a team of soldiers by switching roles.
I can answer from the original Ghost Recon point-of-view as I used to do GR1 mods with Jack57 and Sixpence.

As Jason said yes. The big difference is GR had up to a 6-member squad split into 3 teams (Alpha, Bravo, & Charlie) [Keys 1 - 3] whereas H&D2 has 4 Commandos that are accessed individually [Keys 1 - 4].
shrekdj wrote: Any differences or similarities between Ghost recon in terms of squad tactics would be great to know as well so that I can know exactly the key changes and similarities.
I would say there are more differences than similarities but each game has its particular strengths. The fact both of these games continue to have active communities says a lot for each game. H&D2, however, goes deeper into tactical possibilities.

- Rules of Engagement (ROE)

Setting your Movement [Hold, Advance, Advance at all Costs] or Combat ROE [Recon, Assault, Suppress] is a lot easier in GR since they can be issued to your whole squad with a single key. Giving a similar command in H&D2 takes 3 keystrokes. You will, however, find that these will soon become familiar and you really won't notice it. Its basically no different than wanting to give an individual soldier in GR a specific command. In GR's case, you would have to access them via the command map.

Another thing, while GR's commands are simpler, H&D2 gives more options. For instance, you can tell all your guys, or an individual, to advance, hold, freeze, move to a certain position, fire at will, hold fire, fire on my lead, etc.

- Commands

In additional to the standard verbal commands, there are also silent commands. Mainly hand signals you will hear it as a whispered command. Unfortunately, some of these guys sound like they learned how to whisper on the artillery range.

- Command Map

GR basically lets you set it up to get from Point A to Point B, etc. The level of H&D2's differences are really too varied to go into but a couple examples are you can have your guys plant or deactivate mines/demo charges, check enemy inventories, etc.

- Equipment selection

H&D2 lets you pick and choose your gear before the mission and also pick up weapons on the battlefield if necessary. You are not limited to specific Rifleman/Support/Demo/Sniper kits throughout the mission.

Sometimes you can even capture an enemy soldier and take his uniform. That definitely makes it easier to infiltrate or come up behind an unsuspecting enemy and do a stealth kill with your knife.

- Soldier Options

In both games, some soldiers are better suited for certain duties. H&D2's capabilities are a tad expanded.

GR: Weapon/Stealth/Endurance/Leadership
H&D2: Health/Strength/Endurance/Shooting/Stealth/First Aid/Lock-picking

I hope this info helps ... Duke

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Thanks Duke0196 delighted to now start up with H&D series for a refreshing change except few hurdles in understanding the mechanism which to a lot extent except squad management and application to better gameplay.

Since, my copy H&D2 is a little due for few days thought to try with the Deluxe to brush up the Series techniques and have posted more specific FAQ's of the Deluxe here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2213

Looking forward to engage a new Squadron of H&D series. :grin:

Again, thanks for the help guys and will need in future too thup01

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 am

No worries. Glad the info helped. :grin:

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Duke0196 wrote:No worries. Glad the info helped. :grin:

Well the only forum seems quite inactive and less eager to help WHEN NEEDED the most

Frankly I request a NoCD crack since my copy of H&D2 isn't loading coz of some crap "Conflict with securom software detected"

Tried everything and need a nocd crack since the gamecopyworld crack is a rusted virus exe and can't find a working crack no_02

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:58 pm

shrekdj wrote:the gamecopyworld crack is a rusted virus exe
:shock: I've used it for years

You could try to use Daemon Tools Lite instead of a crack.

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:52 am

I've used it for years

You could try to use Daemon Tools Lite instead of a crack.
Here: http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/rep ... 1317266846

I use QuickHeal Antivirus v12 and it showed up as "Trojan.Agent.VTA"

Well, Jason I will go with the NoCD crack by giving it a try. thup01

Hope for the best (good) :-?