Important: New Rules

Read the most current and up to date news on the web site.
User avatar
Jason
Administrator
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:26 pm
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Important: New Rules

Unread post by Jason » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:00 am

News Rules. Starting World War 2 topics are not allowed. Hijacking topics with WW2 discussions is not allowed. I've had enough of the little arguments about "facts". If you want to discuss WW2 in detail then go to a WW2 discussion board or use the Private Message system.

But H&D is a WW2 game!? Yes. Discuss the game in detail, not the events of WW2 it's self. Passing comments related to the game and WW2 facts (such as game weapons vs real life) is fine as long as you provide a specific source for your claims. If you do not provide details you won't be warned, I'll just delete your post.

Discuss WW2 games, discuss WW2 movies, do not discuss the events of WW2. This is a forum about games and movies. Not documentries and books.

User avatar
Duke0196
Captain
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 11:32 am
Location: Kingdom of Thailand

Re: Important: New Rules

Unread post by Duke0196 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:22 am

Aye-aye boss. thup01

User avatar
-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier
Posts: 1347
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 7:52 am
Location: Classified
Contact:

Re: Important: New Rules

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:16 am

On my wife's birthday no doubt... That is really sad, why is it such a problem for you? Censorship is never and should never be the answer, unless you are dealing with your own children. frown01 no_01

Almost everything can be backed up, using the internet, the problem with a lot of people, at least I see it as a problem, is that they are lazy and use movies and games as a source of history and historical fact. It sounds like there is gonna be a lot more false information running around and not any rebuttals.

Now I think it best to let, well, some people, as in the catalyst of this new "rule change," know that something might be incorrect and that they should reevaluate their position, rather than say, THIS is the way it is, THAT is how it was. In the case in question I don't want to pretend to be a "reeducation center." It is best if they find the truth for themselves, if they can't, or couldn't, I probably would have been more specific, but I had other things to do around that time, wife's birthday and all. grin01 funny02

User avatar
Jason
Administrator
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:26 pm
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Re: Important: New Rules

Unread post by Jason » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:32 am

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote:why is it such a problem for you?
I have to read the arguments. If they were grown up discussions that were productive rather than shit-stirring I wouldn't have a problem.
-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote:Censorship is never and should never be the answer, unless you are dealing with your own children. frown01 no_01
My children aren't playing nice :lol: so I have to take away their toys fingers01
Seriously, it's not about censorship - you can talk about WW2 related to the subject matter of the forum (which is the game Hidden & Dangerous if anyone forgot) as long as you provide sources for your "facts". There is a difference between censorship, empty threats and sticking to topic :P
-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote:Almost everything can be backed up, using the internet, the problem with a lot of people, at least I see it as a problem, is that they are lazy and use movies and games as a source of history and historical fact. It sounds like there is gonna be a lot more false information running around and not any rebuttals.
You can correct the misinformation that games produce - just provide sources. Doesn't need to be a link, it can be a book reference or whatever. Just something that can be checked if people want to check it out. I'm not an anal fact checker myself but at the same time I don't take in what everyone says as fact either. Everyone is different. Most people are lazy in one way or another. Remember that just because it's in a book, movie or game doesn't mean it's a fact. We all use to believe the earth was flat, now we believe it to be round, how many of us have checked that fact ;)
-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote:Now I think it best to let, well, some people, as in the catalyst of this new "rule change," know that something might be incorrect and that they should reevaluate their position, rather than say, THIS is the way it is, THAT is how it was. In the case in question I don't want to pretend to be a "reeducation center." It is best if they find the truth for themselves, if they can't, or couldn't, I probably would have been more specific, but I had other things to do around that time, wife's birthday and all. grin01 funny02
People are lazy, they need that extra push towards "the truth". It's very difficult to convince most people to an opposite view. I find it best to put the new information in the hands of the person to make their own decision. Hard to ignore news "facts" when they are in your face. People won't go looking for new "facts" when they think they have them. Then there's always the chance you are wrong yourself grin01

Don't forget that english isn't the first language of most of the people on this forum. Written communication lacks tone, it lacks facial animation etc. So everyone here could read the same piece of text in different ways.

Bottom line: This is a gaming forum first of all. Let's just give the facts of WW2 a break for a bit and remember to let go and have some fun. There are WW2 forums out there for the more serious dicussions and that would be the correct place to have those talks. Some discussion is fine, when it overtakes the main topic of the forum then we have an issue.

User avatar
-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier
Posts: 1347
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 7:52 am
Location: Classified
Contact:

Re: Important: New Rules

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Jason wrote:We all use to believe the earth was flat, now we believe it to be round, how many of us have checked that fact ;)
Uh oh, are you trying to goad me in to another historical debate!? Are you one of the people that believes that school teacher version of history where Columbus figured it out? :mrgreen:
Jason wrote:People won't go looking for new "facts" when they think they have them. Then there's always the chance you are wrong yourself grin01
Well, people in general, maybe, but I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. I read the entire article, even though I was sure of my position and knew I knew what he was saying was incorrect. I am aware of that logic, and that is why I preferred to tell him to actually read the article, instead of the quotes only.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests