i3d :(

Discuss modding & editing for H&D Deluxe using the Insanity 2 editor and 3d Studio Max here.
bananamoose
Private

i3d :(

Unread post by bananamoose » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:15 am

Hi Guys,

Was looking to play around with this old and very much loved game but im stuck on the i3d format. Ive trolled around the forums and the internet over the past day and cannot find anything other then the plugins for 3D Studio Max R3.1 and 3.0. Neither of which i can purchase or er, download. It's a pain in that I would be more then happy to pay for it, but cannot.

Im wondering if in the 10+ years of this games release if there was ever a work around for this? It is such a shame we cant port any of the artwork to the Unreal Engine or something like that.

Anyway congrats to the people who still keep this forum up, hope its here another 10 years :)

BananaMoose.

bananamoose
Private

Re: i3d :(

Unread post by bananamoose » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:44 am

I have had some progress.

I managed to get a copy of 3D Studio Max R3 and install the plugins, I have added the correct dll to the windows>system file and now I am left with this error.

I understand there are two versions of the plugin which will hopefully fix this issue.

Also admins I posted this in the wrong section :( could you please move it to the 3DStudioMax Section, Thanks.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:34 am

Glad you were able to find a copy :wink: took me ages to find a copy on ebay but there are copies on there for people looking but I am sure you can private message bananamoose to find out where he got his grin01

Here's a link to the plugins from the CD version: index.php/topic,1333.0.html

What operating system are you using by the way?
It is such a shame we cant port any of the artwork to the Unreal Engine or something like that.
It would be great to create a game like H&D, a tactical, stealth, strategy game set in WW2 is what gaming really needs at this current point in time. There hasn't been a good one since 1999. GRAW2 shows me what H&D2 should have been like gameplay/game engine wise. I don't believe 2k Czech have it in them to make a H&D3 game worth playing but I'd love them to prove me wrong I really would but after the poor execution of Mafia 2 I have little hope in that company.
Last edited by Jason on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

bananamoose
Private

Unread post by bananamoose » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:35 am

Im right into Unity3D at the moment and am thinking about upgrading the free version to the professional version. Anyway, i think with the tools available a replica of the first level (at least) could be ported over no problems. I have built a simple rig in Maya and once I work out this 3DSMax issue I will export the files, bind them to the skeleton in Maya and export them as FBX to unity. From there I will try and copy over all the animations etc. If I cant, I will have to keyframe them myself which could take a while.

In the mean time, I have started with the sounds. Lucky they are broken up into their individual levels as folders, to creating that part shouldn't be a problem :) HD was the first game I'd ever felt truely immersed in and I can credit that to the audio.
Last edited by bananamoose on Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:02 am

I've looked into Unity3D, haven't used it though. I figured UDK would be much better any way. The models, textures and animations all need to be upgraded in quality for H&D1 but the sounds are perfect. Always loved the music in the original H&D game, H&D2 can't compare. The use of the music is a key factor in my opinion.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

bananamoose
Private

Unread post by bananamoose » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:49 am

I have played around with UDK quite a bit and have found it quite frustrating, I understand the latest version has better HUD and UI support then previous versions but cant confirm this. The best part of UDK would be the community and resources available. In fact I have rig that is ready to go, all you need to do is grab the mesh, skin it to the bones and send it in to UDK. UDK grabs all the animations from the original game and you can start running around.

Unity on the other hand has a lot of scope for scripting as it uses Javascript and C# which is awesome. Ive done some tests already making the HUD crosshair etc from original HD and its looking pretty sweet. If you going to try and port it defiantly look at Unity, the latest version  (version3) just came out and well. its awesome. Sorry if i sounds like a bit of a fan boy :D

mosterhouse
Private

Unread post by mosterhouse » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:15 am

bananamoose wrote:I have had some progress.

I managed to get a copy of 3D Studio Max R3 and install the plugins, I have added the correct dll to the windows>system file and now I am left with this error.

Does anyone know what causes this error? No one seems to have answered this question? The error message pops up when 3D Studio Max R3 is trying to load the i3d plugins. Whatever this error is, it seems to be the cause for the i3d import/export plugins not showing up in the program. :cry:

bananamoose
Private

Unread post by bananamoose » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi, I was never able to get past this point I am afraid. I tried it on multiple computers, emailed a bunch of people and tried both 3.0 and 3.1. In the end i managed to stop the error at least, using a hex editor kinda the same way youd make a cd crack, but of course that prevented the plugin from working. from there I thought I could use some photo to 3d software to grab enough of the terrain layout to import into zbrush and tidy it up. Never got to test this because I got a new job and g/f, so you could maybe try that. Good luck, let me know if you have any success :). Wrote this on my phone so sorry if it sucks

mosterhouse
Private

Unread post by mosterhouse » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks for the reply bananamoose.

Well, that sure is frustrating.

I'm running 3D Studio Max R3 on Mac OS X, with Windows XP as a guest inside of VirtualBox. That's where I get the same error as you. Everything else works, except for recognizing the i3d plugins. I wonder if it has anything to do with registering the icom_rd.dll file?

I also have it running under CXGames 10.2.1. I am able to import an i3d file, but when I try to export an i3d file, 3D Studio Max R3 crashes, and I have to create a new bottle and reinstall the software. So, I'm halfway there. But it doesn't do me any good if I can't export an i3d file.

I had problems getting it to start in CXGames until I removed the iptex.dlt file from the stdplugs folder. I'm not sure what it does, but it worked. I read that fix somewhere on the internet in all my searching.

If anyone else reads this post and has a solution, please let me know. I would really be surprised if we were the only two people who have experienced this error.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:53 am

mosterhouse I had some issues with 3d Max R3 a while back and ended up installing the "Sentinel System Driver" v7.5.0, do a google and see if you can find it. I'm not sure if the error I was getting was the same as the above but worth a shot. What operating system were you running bananamoose?

bananamoose
Private

Unread post by bananamoose » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:30 am

Hi Jason, Sorry for the late reply.

I cant remember exactly what OS i was using but at a guess would say WindowsXP and 7. Neither of these worked unfortunately.

This has got me thinking I might give it another go tomorrow or this weekend. Could try it on ubuntu using wine, not sure if that would work but you never know. I will let you both know if I have any success by the end of the weekend.

This is one of those little things that has been eating away at me for far to long haha.

bananamoose
Private

Unread post by bananamoose » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Ok so I managed to get it all working in Ubuntu 11.

I used 3D studio Max R3.0 with the plugins from the Deluxe CD! (Think thats the important part)
I didnt install HD Deluxe or anything like that but I did copy icom_rd.dll to Home > .wine > drive_c > windows > system and system32. Not sure if I needed it in system32 but did it anyway.

I've done a few quick tests and it looks like all the animation files and model files open fine. Exporting seems to work fine as well as it did not crash.

Im a little drunk and a little tired so going to call it a night. Bottom line is - Monsterhouse, Install ubuntu onto a USB stick and boot off it and you should be able to do everything you want to do :)

bananamoose
Private

Unread post by bananamoose » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:47 pm

Got everything I need now to start my conversion to UDK now so all good :) Thanks for your help everyone. I may start a thread in projects if there is any interest in the dev. Other then that, im just gonna push on with it.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:02 pm

I'll be looking into UDK some time this year :mrgreen: but need to crack the whip on the HD2 Mini Game project first. You should definitely start a project thread.

Are you going to do a clone or conversion?

bananamoose
Private

Unread post by bananamoose » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:04 am

The ultimate goal is to make a multiplayer shooter, conquest-style, Allies vs Axis on one map from each campaign. The missions will play out exactly as they do in the original game but the enemy is controlled by human players. At the moment I am just grabbing what I can from the first mission as a sort of test bed to see what I can and can't do.

Its taking quite a while but I have a solid pipeline now getting the 3ds objects into udk - the original makers of this game did not make it easy. Most of the objects have several texture maps and parts. This was no doubt to save on memory but what a pain. Also many of the objects that are in the first level such as the locomotive and the bridge don't exist in a 3ds file, in fact they must have been made a map editor and textured in there. The terrain is the same, although the documentation writes about how the terrain needs to be broken up into different parts :roll: . To deal with all this, I am just going to deal with it in maya and re-create it all from screenshots. I think using texture sizes I can get it almost exact.

After I have made all the objects needed I will use the same method to make the terrain, by copying the mesh topology in wireframe mode of HDEditor. By this stage I am going to be on the forums, my art directed leaves a LOT to the imagination and hopefully there are still enough people hanging around here to give advice on lighting/fog/foliage etc, I am too technically minded for it all. I am just happy to have it in the game usually.

While all this is going on I will work out exporting the character animations/guns etc udk but that shouldn't be difficult, touch wood.

So here is where I am up to, might start a thread when I am up to the modelling of props etc. Not heaps but I am only have a few hours a week for this unfortunately.

Any help/ideas is always appreciated :)