i3d :(

Discuss modding & editing for H&D Deluxe using the Insanity 2 editor and 3d Studio Max here.
Bighouse
Sergeant

Re: i3d :(

Unread post by Bighouse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Some of the things (like in mission1) are put directly to scene.i3d file. So if you have the plugins working, import the whole scene in to 3ds max. What I did was that I created a temporary model library of extracted models from different scene files. That way I was able to add parts to my own missions that where part of some original map.

Some time ago I also took a second look on editing after a loong break. Ofc my OS had been upgraded to 64-bit Win7. Guess if 3dmax worked in it :grin: I was able to go around the problem by installing virtual PC. Then I made a virtual windows 98 and everything is working just fine over there, 3dsmax, editor and game.

Illusion Softworks made the terrain textures with small pieces. I've done my terrains in 2-ways. Back when computers were not as fast as now, I used a little similar way as IS (I think there should be a tutorial made by me somewhere in this site). Now when computerpower in H&D Deluxe is not an issue anymore I've used a different approach. I make the whole terrain from one piece. Molding it to correct shape is then much easier and there's no gaps. If you just add the texture file in it, it will look horrible (except when flying 10km above). To make it look better than the original, assign the texture tiled and make the tiles very small (don't remember the actual setting but trial 'n error is your friend). This way it will look almost real.

bananamoose
Private

Unread post by bananamoose » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:21 am

Back after a long break :roll:

I dont like to concede a loss but god damn it Bighouse you were correct. I (easily) got Italy1 scene into Maya with textures and all the rest which is great news. Going to save me a lot of hastle!

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Sweet! :grin:

What do you have planned?

bananamoose
Private

Unread post by bananamoose » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Hey Jason, at this stage I have no idea. A few months ago i was pretty dead set on making a map for unreal using UDK. I think I could do that, especially now that I have all the scene files etc working but now I am thinking that Unity might be a better option. I think it will give me more flexibility but probably a longer road ahead.

I honestly dont have a clear direction of where I am going with this so if anyones not up to much on this fine Saturday and wants to come hangout on skype and let me know of your ideas that'd be good. banana_moose (bmoose@live.com). I'll probably get going in about.... 2 hours-ish.

bananamoose
Private

Unread post by bananamoose » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:13 am

Alllright, after more hours then im willing to admit this weekend. I''ve managed to at least address all the artistic issues that might come up with this project.

I've imported all the models from the Italy1 mission file not including separate files such as trees, rocks, power poles etc.
Put together a simple rain effect using particles,
Got everything textures including alphas (got a problem with sorting though but I think I can fix that).
Made some crappy water using animated UVs
Animated the train parts, wheels/piston etc using bones.
Got all the sound working.

Now that I know there isn't really anything that I can see that will hold me up from an artistic point of view I can focus more on the game side of it. Once I have some multiplayer action going on in this I will come back to it and smash it out.

Here are some WIP images.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:19 am

Awesome, so that's all in Unity? do you have a playable character setup to move around the world?

bananamoose
Private

Unread post by bananamoose » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:16 am

Yep this is all unity.

It comes with a First Person prefab so all you need to do set up collision objects and you can pretty much run around. Of course this is very limited and I will need to make something a lot more advanced later on.

At the moment, I am just playing around with the network features of unity as these will be unavailable after the 30 day trail is up. Unity costs $1500 to buy, which gives you real-time shadows and network ability as well as a few other things. It's a bit of a bummer considering I don't want to sell anything I make but its not as much as Maya I guess. :roll: