Terrain modelling tutorial

Discuss modding & editing for H&D Deluxe using the Insanity 2 editor and 3d Studio Max here.
Jason
Administrator

Terrain modelling tutorial

Unread post by Jason » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:50 am

I found a cool terrain modelling tutorial on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8YbLaMwLiQ
This is a really simple way to make basic terrains in 3d max for H&D deluxe levels. But note that the edit poly modifier he mentions at the end of the video is not available in 3d max r3, it was added in version 7. You will need to of course texture the terrain and here is quick tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdNTU9XjjYY

More detailed PDF tutorials can be found here: http://www.kevinoxland.com/tutorials.html

You will need to have previous interface experience with 3d max to use those tutorials. I'm currently reading 3d studio max 3 (visual quickstart guide) that I bought on ebay :mrgreen: It is really good at bringing you up to speed with the interface as it is at first a bit of a scary program.

Once I have the skills I will post some new 3d max tutorials for those interested, I have had plans for a long while now to post for download some basic terrains for people to use.

In the distant future I want to update H&D deluxe's models.
Last edited by Jason on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Bighouse
Sergeant

Re: Terrain modelling tutorial

Unread post by Bighouse » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:08 pm

It sounds to me that you're actually starting to do some modelling again :)

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:02 am

And when was the last time you had some free time for H&D Deluxe related stuff? I have a lot on my plate but it's all in a solid effort to free up a lot more of my time.

Bighouse
Sergeant

Unread post by Bighouse » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:28 am

I know  :grin:

When you start making a terrain, it's better to reserve at least 4 hours. 1-2 goes to thinking and playing around then the rest of the time is where you actually accomplish something. And that is why I haven't done any modelling for 4.5 years  :sad:

Bighouse
Sergeant

Unread post by Bighouse » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:34 am

and the funny thing is that you've replied to this today...and today was the day when I thought of "hey, I could go to the Jason's H&D editing forums again and have a look"

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:06 am

Haha :mrgreen:

What is your process for making terrains and models? I haven't really read anything on the subject that discusses processes. Maybe it is seen as more of an "art form" than a process type of thing. But I like a good process for doing things. I have heard "draw it on paper" but it is difficult to draw 3d on a flat piece of paper :lol:

Bighouse
Sergeant

Unread post by Bighouse » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:40 am

kinda late reply but I don't think the information is old. This is how I'm doing it

1. Draw a rough plan on paper. It should contain roughly the form of the terrain and the special places you want to implement.
2. Draw a more detailed picture from each special place. Houses, mountains, harbours etc.
3. If you're satisfied with your plans, open up 3DS and at first do the landscape. I usually start doing it from the place the mission starts (that way i can have a look at it in editor sooner).
4. Start creating stuff on the landscape and add detail.
5. Move on to editor and put in rest of the stuff and create missions.