Savegame Inventory Editor

Talk about modding Hidden & Dangerous 2 in here.
Cinnander
Corporal

Savegame Inventory Editor

Unread post by Cinnander » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:30 pm

I'd like to announce that I've developed a program that allows you to edit the soldier inventories in savegame files.
Please note that a new version is available: See the second post in this thread for latest version This post is staying here to contain information about newer releases. The next post will always contain a link to the most up to date version.

v0.2e (1 Oct 2007):
Backpacks' contents should now be detected more reliably. The slot still shows as "Head" which is a nuisance.
Some code improvements.

v0.2d (23 Mar 2007):
Some code improvements and log scrolls automatically.
The "I should really be doing my degree work" release

v0.2c (10 Mar 2007):
Third release. Minor UI/usability improvements to 0.2b. See readme for full details.

v0.2b (07 Mar 2007):
Second release, completely overhauled UI, (screenshot 1). See readme for full details.
The itemlist is a bit "buggy" -- there's a couple of gaps, some items are missing (e.g. if you edit Op. Heat - Mouse in the House you will notice that german soldier's uniforms have no "name" when you look at them in InvEdit), hopefully I'll get round to tidying this up in a future release. Fixed in 0.2c.
The "sweeeeeeet" release.

v0.1b (02 Mar 2007):
The first version, very primitive command line interface (screenshot 1 & 2).
Requires intimate knowledge of itemIDs or a seperate list Fixed in 0.2 :)
The "It works! It works! It.. doh" release

See below for downloads.
Last edited by Cinnander on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
// cinn

Cinnander
Corporal

Re: Savegame Inventory Editor

Unread post by Cinnander » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:13 pm

Latest version: 0.2e

You need Java JRE 1.6 (aka Java 6).
Warning! Some people don't like Java, as they have had a bad experience. Without Java, you will be unable to use InvEdit.

Download here! (~38kb zipped)

The readme file (also available here) should explain everything you need to know, and is also included in the zip.

I've tested this under normal conditions as much as I could think of ways to, but I'm sure there's still bugs and 'features' hidden in it! Please post any questions, bugs, etc. in this thread.
Last edited by Cinnander on Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
// cinn

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:38 pm

Would it be possible to get it runing without having java installed? I bet many ppl would ask eh wtf is java  funny01 . So an version without needing it would be more userfriendly

Cinnander
Corporal

Unread post by Cinnander » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:12 pm

Nope, [(un)fortunately] you'll need Java installed to run because ... well that's just how Java programs work (same with .NET, for that matter). Java is simple to install, download the installer for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6" from about half way down this page (It's about 12mb, something like    jre-6-windows-i586.exe).
Once you've got it you're all set and InvEdit should run with no problems...

I appreciate that for those who don't have Java installed it can be a bit of hassle to install, but you only need to do it once.
There are other advantages to Java like allowing the program to run on Windows, Linux, Mac, etc, and meaning that the distributable is small, but they don't really apply to InvEdit, that I will admit.
Last edited by Cinnander on Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
// cinn

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:05 pm

I for one, dislike Java very much. I have seen this program destabilize many computer systems.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Cinnander
Corporal

Unread post by Cinnander » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:36 pm

Thank you for your input, sorry to hear you won't be using the software
// cinn

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:29 pm

I would love to try this program but i have lived without java since my first PC & i ain't gonna start now. Pity.

edit:
i think you should give a warning with telling folks to install java, there is a good reason i refuse to use it.
Last edited by Grimples on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinnander
Corporal

Unread post by Cinnander » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:22 am

When I find a good reason to 'warn' people before sending them to install Java, I'll add it after "You need Java 6"; until then I have put a placeholder 'warning' in.
I could port the program to, say, C++ (read as: re-write from scratch) but it would be
(a) only ever command line based
(b) buggy as hell and
(c) very time consuming, so I'm not inclined right now.
Plus I would then have to maintain both versions (GUI is easier and safer). There are reasons it's in Java, and reasons it will stay that way for now.
If you're refusing to install Java, as I've said, that's your loss, but I find it seriously irritating to have people come into this thread and post essentially pointless crap like "oh well I've got my reasons, too bad". If you've got your reasons, that's fine, but you don't have to post here, OK? Especially if you're not going to state what they are (but please - don't add them). Who knows how many people might see your comment and become averse to Java and not use it themselves, without knowing the facts. The fact that two (maybe three) people have done so has probably not helped at all.
Hopefully people aren't that easily persuaded,

Would you believe, I've had 0 positive feedback since I released this software? I know!
Last edited by Cinnander on Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
// cinn

J Lebowski
Private

Unread post by J Lebowski » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:13 am

Hey dude,
I gave this program a go & it works fine! thup01
Would it be theoretically possible to replace all enemies on a given map as russians for example? Is there any way to change their voices & faces as well?
It would be interesting to be able to play the game as a german or japanese squad behind allied lines! :cool:

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:59 pm

Sorry Cinnander, please don't take offence. I am due for a new reinstall of my OS so i will give a try before i do :)

Cinnander did sayeth:
"Warning! Some people don't like Java,"

Did you know or believe your above statement before you began to create this program? If so then you should of thought twice about using java (or .netframework).

Grim

Cinnander
Corporal

Ooops, forgot about this thread ;P

Unread post by Cinnander » Wed May 16, 2007 12:50 am

Well in theory I'm sure you could change the various other details of each enemy on the map, and if you knew how to do that it would be no trouble™ incorporate such stuff into the editor -- basically, if it's stored in a .SAV file, and you know what to look for, you could extend the editor to include such changes. Unfortunately I haven't looked into how other features of a soldier are stored; I think the inventories are located vaguely near the soldier they refer to though, as they are distributed all over the save game file (InvEdit just lists them in the order it finds them).
Unfortunately I don't have enough time available at the moment to do anything more than modify the editor (which is easy compared to pulling apart the .sav files, which is tedious as f***), but to answer your question yes, in theory it is possible.

Grimples: Nope, I assumed Java was just something 'everyone' (well, ok, 90% of people) had these days, like broadband, Win XP, Flash, OpenGL, .NET or DirectX.

Edit: Thought about Lebowski's question a bit more, so here's a bit more info for anyone that might feel sudden inclinations to go off and hax0r some save files.
It would make sense if the NPCs on the map are put in in the form of some kind of object, which would, if inventories are anything to go by, have a regular (fixed) pattern at the start, then a bunch of fields of which the one that says this guy is russian/british etc., which be numerical (plus a load of other properties such as what head model). Anything that occurs as frequently as an NPC would be easier to find because (a) it's probably going to be near an inventory [that's just a hunch] and (b) there are going to be several of them in the file, so you can refine the search to stuff that crops up the same number of times as there are inventories.
Last edited by Cinnander on Wed May 16, 2007 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
// cinn

Jamez
Private

Unread post by Jamez » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:43 am

Wow this has saved me a hell of a lot of work,didn't know IS included a German Paratrooper helmet.Great program

Majork
Private

Unread post by Majork » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:50 pm

The file is borken, maybe?

When I try to DL, everything ok, but the file is 0kb, and when I try to open it it says "Damaged Archive" (obviously) :grin:

Is there any chance to re-upload a new working link or fix the existing one?

bye bye by bye bye....by me XD

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:06 pm

A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Majork
Private

Unread post by Majork » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:14 pm

Thank you Jason^^