Can Someone Help ME with .dta???

Talk about modding Hidden & Dangerous 2 in here.
Method
Private

Unread post by Method » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:20 pm

So I tried editing .dta files and found the program that extracts all the files in the dta. I wanted to try modding them/or hexing them :twisted: i don't know whatever i could. Once i extracted the files for models.dta I thought if i change any of them how would i recompile them so i could play with my modded files? Does anyone have any info on this or any info on .dta files??? Also does anyone know anything about .4ds and .5ds format??? I was thinking that mod makers and builders would have an answer for my question because they make models and put them into the game.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:52 am

Hey mate, well it all depends on which game your trying to edit. All H&D games use different types of .dta files well they need 3 different ways to extract them :roll:

I am guessing your talking about H&D2. You need import and export plugins for I am guessing 3d max to open the .4ds and .5ds files.

Illusion Softworks have not helped the fans in any way to edit or mod H&D2 :cry:
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Method
Private

Unread post by Method » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:15 am

Yea I was talking about H&D2 with the .dta files. When I extract files from a dta file how do I put them back together so I can play with it? Is there any ways you know on how to mod the .dta files? Like if i wanted to create my own skins, how would i do that? I was going to edit the extracted files from model.dta. When someone makes a mod how do they add it into the game?
Im installing 3ds max 7: Is that the right software? lol :roll:
I hope you undertand my question and can help me with my problem :wink:
BTW, whats up with Illusion not putting out any tools for the modding community to work with? They offer no support for mod makers. Thats a trait of bad game developers.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:19 am

You can not re-pack the .dta files for H&D2. What you do is..

Say you extracted some sounds and they were in "sounds/clips" directory. Well you copy that directory in the main H&D2 directory and put your edit files into the "sounds/clips" directory. Is that understandable?

Have you downloaded a sound mod before? if not check it out and you will see what I mean :wink:

I think 3dmax 7 is useless for doing anything with H&D2. It would be the program they use, probably not the version but you need plugins I am sure to open the model files.

Modding & Editing for H&D2 is next to nothing, sorry :(

The most I can offer is this petition which I will be re-sending to Illusion Softworks shortly. http://www.petitiononline.com/hdeditor/

Method
Private

Unread post by Method » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:16 pm

Wow i never thought that sound packs would work like that. So if i put that folder "Sounds" in the H&D directory it will replace just the sounds that have the same name in Sounds.dta? So if i were to take every sound from Sounds.dta and put them in the Sounds folder, then I could delete Sounds.dta and play the game like regular? All these questions might sound odd but im just trying to understand how games work.

What do people here use to make mods? Like tanks and maps and skins and stuff.

Jackass
Lieutenant

Unread post by Jackass » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:33 pm

We can't mod, cause of the company that made the game.

They haven't released a mod tool those friggin bastards.

Illusions Softworks is a bunch of newby's... :)
Nvidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra - Intel Pentium 4 3.4

Proud member of Butcher & Bolt

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:56 pm

I am not sure what would happen if you deleted the sounds.dta after extracting the files to a folder. I haven't tried it although I have thought about it... :wink: try it but make sure you back up your sounds.dta file first!

Method
Private

Unread post by Method » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:08 pm

A while back i played with someone who could run through walls and had on a different uniform then what was on the level. It might of also been made cause i never seen it before. Could someone let me in on how to do these things.

BTW i extracted everything from the .dta's and yes u can get rid of em once u get everything out :wink:

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:08 am

Ok well I can't explain the walking through walls but there are server mods which let you select more gear than the default level lets you. So you can get artic uniforms on a desert map.

Method
Private

Unread post by Method » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:19 am

are these server mods run by the server or me so everyone gets more uniforms and gear or just me?

:? :x BTW, so far I renamed and replaced w_bazooka.4ds and w_bazookafpv.4ds (bazooka) with (the Kar98) w_98k.4ds and w_98lfpv.4ds (these files are found in the 'models' folder) In the hopes of picking up a Karbringer98 and using it as a bazooka. Didn't work the game just shuts down as soon as I pick one up or start the round with a 98k. :x

:idea: What about if i replace an American helmet with a German one. figure this would work because it isn't as big a change as the bazooka one I already did. I will try it today and tell you the results :idea:

Last thing, in the 'others' folder there is a file that i think contains weapons values. I'm bad with hex editing and so could someone take it is here http://ak47automatic.ak.funpic.org/
I tried using a base calculator but i couldn't get much out of it. Open it in wordpad it is much neater. Try to make sense of all the junk, I was trying to find clip capacity and damage. I haven't tried raising any of the values yet I hope you can figure it out and will help me with it.

The other thing there mpmaplist.txt is what im going to edit. If you take a look at it you will see what I mean. Im going to make the ammo num all to 99 so hopefully this will change something. Maybe I pick up a explosive and instead of 1 I get 99 :shock: I kinda doubt it though :(

Peace

Jackass
Lieutenant

Unread post by Jackass » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:27 am

It's the server that has it since it's "the server" so everyone get's the same.

And the ammonum is like how many clips you can have for a M1 Carbine etc.

Method
Private

Unread post by Method » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:32 pm

If you have any hex editing skills i suggest you take a look at that weapon file in the link. It's called item_shoot.tbl
I just hope shit like this isn't server side, I don't think it is because of that guy I saw running threw walls.

Jackass
Lieutenant

Unread post by Jackass » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:36 pm

No one can run through walls they can only "glitch" through walls. :x

Method
Private

Unread post by Method » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:39 pm

How do they execute this glitch?

Jackass
Lieutenant

Unread post by Jackass » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:46 pm

:!:
Last edited by Jackass on Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.