Modding The Textures

Talk about modding Hidden & Dangerous 2 in here.
HD2fan
Corporal

Modding The Textures

Unread post by HD2fan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:51 pm

Hello all,

I am new here, and I know many threads have been started on this topic, but I need help modding the textures in HD2. I have got the unpacker from http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.net/hd/files.php#misc, and I have read the following threads;

index.php/topic,266.0.html
index.php/topic,1018.0.html
index.php/topic,848.0.html
index.php/topic,666.0.html
index.php/topic,164.0.html
index.php/topic,211.0.html
index.php/topic,662.0.html
index.php/topic,982.0.html

However, I am still unable to mod the textures. Based on my research on these threads, I have found out that the textures are in a file called maps_u dta file. I have it. What I need is help with the 4ds and 5ds files. I do not know what program to open them. Nor do I know what to do with them. The Unpacker I mentioned created a _models file folder, containing the 4ds/5ds files. I would like to know what to do with the files.

My modding project is not all that complex. I just wish to change the color of the red beret.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have tried finding out on my own, but I still do not get it.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Re: Modding The Textures

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:31 pm

What color do you want to change the beret to? :lol: In order to change the color, just change the color on the picture file and create a new folder in your main HD2 folder named for the .dta you got it from and throw it in there. The model files give instructions to the game engine for producing the things in the game. They are not needed to change the color of something.
Last edited by -ViTaMiHnM203- on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

HD2fan
Corporal

Unread post by HD2fan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:00 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: What color do you want to change the beret to? :lol: In order to change the color, just change the color on the picture file and create a new folder in your main HD2 folder named for the .dta you got it from and throw it in there. The model files give instructions to the game engine for producing the things in the game. They are not needed to change the color of something.
I understand that, but I do not know where to get the picture file from. I extracted the models using the program I mentioned in the original post, and got 4ds and 5ds files. I do not know where to go from there. BTW, the 4ds and 5ds files were located in a new folder, named _models.

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:49 pm

Download the new unpacker from Jovan and unpack the maps_u with the correct key. -> index.php/topic,927.msg7012.html#msg7012
There is no real program to open 4ds or 5ds files in that format. Use any normal hexeditor instead.

HD2fan
Corporal

Unread post by HD2fan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 pm

Lars wrote: Download the new unpacker from Jovan and unpack the maps_u with the correct key. -> index.php/topic,927.msg7012.html#msg7012
There is no real program to open 4ds or 5ds files in that format. Use any normal hexeditor instead.
I tried that, and I got a 404. Also, I have a hex iditor, but I am unaware as to how to use it. I am really new at HD2 Modding. Has anyone written a step by step, or no?

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Oh ok haven't tried that .. instead than download this tutorial that contains the new and the old unpacker http://www.had-gf.de/downloads/index.php?file_id=346
There are some tutorials and programs witch you can try out .. http://www.had-gf.de/downloads/index.php?ordner_id=3 haven't checked all by myself

HD2fan
Corporal

Unread post by HD2fan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:51 pm

Lars wrote: Oh ok haven't tried that .. instead than download this tutorial that contains the new and the old unpacker http://www.had-gf.de/downloads/index.php?file_id=346
There are some tutorials and programs witch you can try out .. http://www.had-gf.de/downloads/index.php?ordner_id=3 haven't checked all by myself
Thanks for the help Lars. Ill try these out!

HD2fan
Corporal

Unread post by HD2fan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:27 pm

Lars wrote: Oh ok haven't tried that .. instead than download this tutorial that contains the new and the old unpacker http://www.had-gf.de/downloads/index.php?file_id=346
OK, just one more thing. I understand now about the hex code being a factor on the maps and music and faces and graphics and sounds and such. However, I still need to know how to get the 4ds and 5ds files into BMP images, especially the red beret, because that is what I am trying to modify. If I could know how to get the red beret file from 4ds/5ds or whatever into a BMP image so I can modify it from there.

Also, I would naturally need to know what to do with the BMP image once I am done with it.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:04 pm

I already told you what you needed to know and you failed to answer my question. fingers01

The model files do not magically turn into pictures. Ignore the model files if you just want to change the color of something. The texture files are in Maps and Maps_U; the bitmap you need is in there, I am looking at it right now. Just find the file, edit the color, make a folder named for the file you extracted it from in your main HD2 directory, put it in there, run the game and you are good.
Last edited by -ViTaMiHnM203- on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

HD2fan
Corporal

Unread post by HD2fan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:17 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: I already told you what you needed to know and you failed to answer my question. fingers01

The model files do not magically turn into pictures. Ignore the model files if you just want to change the color of something. The texture files are in Maps and Maps_U; the bitmap you need is in there, I am looking at it right now. Just find the file, edit the color, make a folder named for the file you extracted it from in your main HD2 directory, put it in there, run the game and you are good.
I do not know how to run the Maps_U file. I do not know how to edit the bitmap from the Maps_U file. I have Maps_U, I just do not know how to edit the bitmap file. Like I said, I am very new at this. The thing is, I do not know how to get to the bitmap file from the Maps_U file.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:25 am

If you have the Maps.dta extracted, it is in there. Didn't you say you can edit the bitmap if you have it? You should look up an image editing tutorial if you can't.

HD2fan
Corporal

Unread post by HD2fan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:17 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: If you have the Maps.dta extracted, it is in there. Didn't you say you can edit the bitmap if you have it? You should look up an image editing tutorial if you can't.
Maps dta? I was extracting the models from Maps dta, not the Maps from Maps dta. Ill try to extract the Maps from Maps.dta.

BTW, I have Maps_Udta, not Maps.dta.

HD2fan
Corporal

Unread post by HD2fan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:49 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: If you have the Maps.dta extracted, it is in there. Didn't you say you can edit the bitmap if you have it? You should look up an image editing tutorial if you can't.
OK, I got the images, but I can not find the red beret. I found the inventory icon for the red beret, just not the BMP graphics file for its design. Can anyone help?

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:02 pm

The 4ds and 5ds files are from Models. If you are extracting them from Maps and Maps_U, I don't know what to tell you. :roll:

What kind of help are you looking for? Do you want someone to find it for you and send it to you? It is there you just need to look for it. I shouldn't have to tell you this, but, just make sure you view as thumbnails; if you start your search from the top and arrange by name, you should find it pretty soon.

What color do you plan on changing this maroon beret to?

HD2fan
Corporal

Unread post by HD2fan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:20 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: The 4ds and 5ds files are from Models. If you are extracting them from Maps and Maps_U, I don't know what to tell you. :roll:

What kind of help are you looking for? Do you want someone to find it for you and send it to you? It is there you just need to look for it. I shouldn't have to tell you this, but, just make sure you view as thumbnails; if you start your search from the top and arrange by name, you should find it pretty soon.

What color do you plan on changing this maroon beret to?
Its OK, sorry about this. I found it. File name is 2e_bart1! OK, I plan on changing it to green, or gray, or any color really. Just want to see what happens with it. I just need to know what to do once it is done.

Oh, and BTW, do I need to keep the extracted model files, or can I get rid of them?