Mafia 2

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Jason
Administrator

Re: Mafia 2

Unread post by Jason » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Who cares about GTA3, or GTA4? I don't play them. Never will. GTA ended with GTA2.

Neither of the following Mafia 1 or H&D1 models have fingers. Of course after 2 years the textures are better but the models are not. The only difference between Mafia 1 models and H&D1 is a few shiny effects which make the game look stupid today. The textures are very stretched in Mafia 1, especially on the cars.

H&D1

Mafia 1

H&D Deluxe
The insanity 2 engine was better than LS3D 1.0 they used for Mafia. Oh yeah and the fucking sky moved!

H&D2

Mafia 1 - vehicles

H&D1 - vehicle

H&D2 - vehicles

Starting point for H&D3's graphics
But they need to make the sky move, they did it in H&D1 but haven't been able to do it since, what the hell?

Last edited by Jason on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Heatseeker
Corporal

Unread post by Heatseeker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:34 am

H&D is too old to be compared to Mafia and H&D2, are we supposed to laugh at the blocky graphics or remember how nice they were back in 99?
Mafia and H&D2 have similar graphics and art style (H&D2 had ragdoll physics) but Mafia was a far better production, as much as i liked both games H&D2 lacked better missions and wasnt put together all that well.

Anyway the graphics alone didnt make these games great (they helped). 2k czech could make H&D3 with the best graphics ever, if the gameplay is dumbed down and the missions suck the game wont be any good. If great graphics made great games we could sit and talk about crysis all day long..

Mafia 2 was butchered when Illusion became 2k czech in 2008, they even copied GTA IV wich is just embarassing.. i know this game was set to be much better, you can tell just by playing it that the game is missing tons of content and the missions were rushed.

A final note, i too noticed the sky was static in the Mafia 2 demo but in the full game the game has moving clouds and spectacular weather effects, like rain and snow. Im disapointed with Mafia 2 but the graphics the new Illusion engine pulls are very nice, i really wish T2 would let Illusion do their thing instead of making them work under those talentless 2k imbeciles.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:27 am

Heatseeker wrote: H&D is too old to be compared to Mafia and H&D2, are we supposed to laugh at the blocky graphics or remember how nice they were back in 99?
Mafia and H&D2 have similar graphics and art style (H&D2 had ragdoll physics) but Mafia was a far better production, as much as i liked both games H&D2 lacked better missions and wasnt put together all that well.
How can you say that? :cry: H&D1 still look reasonable today. Mafia is just unbarable to look at. H&D2 has way, WAY better graphics - just look at the textures and models clearly have more detail.
Heatseeker wrote:Anyway the graphics alone didnt make these games great (they helped).
Obviously. Illusion-2kC have a special style that is not matched by the main stream games. I can always over look the graphics if there is a good story. I'm just saying Mafia 1 was good, but it has dated very, very badly against the H&D games.

You can't compare H&D1/2 or Mafia1/2 on missions any way, totally different games and our bias towards the style of game is going to cloud the judgement.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:25 am

Mafia 2 DLC Jimmy's Vendetta is now available on Steam for $USD 12.99, that is not a lot of money I was expecting it to be $USD 29.95 to be honest. If you were smart and bought the Mafia 2 game on ebay from India or Hong Kong for $20 then really, $35 bucks is not a bad price to pay for a game that is suppose to be less than perfect grin01

That's what I will be doing shortly, well, maybe I will buy it in the shops if it drops to $AUD 50.00 which it might do by the time I can afford to spend money on games.

It sucks that they ripped out content just to sell it off but they have to deal with people stealing their game. After all Mafia 2 sales go towards funding H&D3 grin01

Heatseeker
Corporal

Unread post by Heatseeker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:02 pm

H&D2 and Mafia still look reasonable but H&D is really pushing it man :mrgreen: .
Visiting this place and talking about those games always makes me feel old..

The DLC doesnt compensate all that was left out and how this game turned out.. its just a stupid arcade thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX44VGM1VgU

Listen to Don Salieri!

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Another DLC addon has been announced over at Blues News: http://www.bluesnews.com/a/2037/joe_s-a ... -announced

Here's a review of the Jimmy's Vendetta DLC.

They really are pimping this game like a cheap whore. It's not The Sims no_02
Last edited by Jason on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Came across this website, Real Mafia 2 Wiki that lists all the things found that were not in the Mafia 2 game release. Just reading about a cool "reputation" feature.

Fans following the H&D2 game will remember how much was once listed on the official H&D2 website but never made it into the game, Lars has some stuff listed on his website.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:01 pm

I can't believe they released some more lame DLC on steam. You can buy car & clothes packs for $3 that were available for people that preordered the game. Don't bother with them.

For a detailed and fair review of Mafia 2, check this one out. I'll post my review shortly but I need more time to write a mature review without bitching too much :lol:

Bighouse
Sergeant

Unread post by Bighouse » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Bought Mafia 2 a little after it was released. Played it through in 10 hours and then went WTF! Then found out they already released more content with a cost. Then I just stopped caring...it's nothing more than a rip off. You get half a game with nice graphics, but it ends too soon and I'm not going to buy the new stuff.

If there ever will be H&D3 (which I doubt very much), I hope they don't pull this kinda stupid stunt again.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:44 pm

The story went too fast IMO, it took me 15 hours I think and I didn't do much stuffing about.

LT. Drake Hawkins
Private

Unread post by LT. Drake Hawkins » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Jason wrote: I can't believe they released some more lame DLC on steam. You can buy car & clothes packs for $3 that were available for people that preordered the game. Don't bother with them.

For a detailed and fair review of Mafia 2, check this one out. I'll post my review shortly but I need more time to write a mature review without bitching too much :lol:
That is what happens with modern day games, now they want to change that picture we have of them, cos on todays days the dont make games, they make crappy apps for short term entertainment... Something you buy with huge exitment only to see the game lasted long about 10... maybe 12 hours of gameplay wich means you pass the game in 2 days and never remember it again... And we are talking about todays "good games"...
Anyway the fact is that now they sell you DLC... Why? Maybe cos they know the game when released will run short on stuff for example clothes...
No sig yet...

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Its not just game Devs & DLC's, its everybody! This is the age of GREED. There's no quality or class no more, everything is done/made as cheaply as possible & sold for as much as possible.

Back to Mafia2, i did not pay for the game & just as fkn well, i finished the game in about 20 hours i think & have not went back to it & probably never will. ?50 for 15 to 20 hours of game play is just not worth it. If Matteo does a good job of his Freeroam/Redemption mod then i will pay for the game as i do like the environment & the music is my kind of music, am a 50's fan :cool:

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:46 pm

I just read what seems to be the only review of Joe's Adventures DLC, 2k are advertising 8 hours of additional content and the review says you can expect that playing on medium. For $10 that is definitely a great deal of gameplay. It is definitely more along the lines of an expansion than some standard DLC pack. I'll be giving the game a go as soon as possible. I've already beaten Mafia 2 and the first PC DLC. It should be interesting. Joe was a much better character than Vito :P

Has anyone played it yet? Post other reviews if you find them.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:38 pm

Nah Jordan, I haven't played it. grin01 funny02
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:12 pm

If you played Mafia 2 and didn't like it too much or was a bit disappointed play Joe's Adventures, it is way better and is well worth the $10. It took me exactly 8 hours to beat, great fun. Better missions and better locations and best thing of all, no annoying cock face Vito :grin: thup01