Mafia 2

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Jason
Administrator

Re: Mafia 2

Unread post by Jason » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:52 pm

It's the 50's some time, not sure when exactly, no where seems to have the exact date. It feels really 50's, the colour tone and everything is spot on.

I find the cops way too easy to get away from. But it's more in-depth than most games like GTA. There seems to be way too many cops on the street as well, keep getting done for hit and run. It's so annoying but you just have to drive around the corner to get away from a cop on the street.

Cops chasing you in a car while shooting out the window with a tommy gun... that's cool. It's hard to get away from 8 cops with tommy guns blasting at yah :lol: not impossible though which is good.
Are you not aloud to change the controls?
Not sure, I play with the defaults which are well chosen. It is annoying that you have 3 controls to get in a car. F to steal, Q to break in and E to get in one you own or already stole (I think, E is the general action key).
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

betteryouthanme
Lieutenant

Unread post by betteryouthanme » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Played it yesterday! Didn't know that I have already a Steam account.
Awesome game. Probably will buy it. :grin:

Now that they have finished Mafia 2, I hope they find some time to send someone in the basement, looking for H&D 2 patches, model / map editors, ...

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:53 pm

It seems that Mafia 2 is very moddable, it uses Lua as it's scripting language and people are hacking it big time see here:
http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php ... 78&page=60
http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4870

Let's hope H&D3 will be announced and we can mod that one! thup01

wanderer1825
Sergeant

Unread post by wanderer1825 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:34 pm

well, I've tried to load from steam and it dosn't work for me.
It tries to start then, a black screen and back to the desktop.
Never liked steam.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Has anyone played the full game yet? I will buy it when I have some money! the reviews are a bit mixed but so far has not scored greatly high just around the mid-80's. The key problem seems to be a lack of doing anything other than the storyline missions. They didn't create any side missions. My question is why the fuck can't these people (GTA etc.) create a randomly generated mission set? it's so bloody easy to do. Look at GTA2, the kill frenzies, it's just a score based mission system. Mafia could have the same thing, kill 20 cops in 2 minutes... not hard, adds to the fun.

Can't wait to play it though, 2k Czech reply to my emails! thup01 grin01

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:40 am

Why would you want to go on a killing rampage? Are you a sociopath? :mrgreen:
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:24 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: Why would you want to go on a killing rampage? Are you a sociopath? :mrgreen:
It's what computers games are for my good man! As long as they aren't too realistic, not a fan of ultra realism - it's just a game!

Sergeant

Unread post by 2k » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:25 am

Just finished mafia 2. Well, what can i say, i think the mafia 1 was more cinematic and had more interesting story line and had more attention to details then second one. But anyway was fun to play this. Also was nice to see Tommy Angelo. :grin:

Here is some petition, by the way, to release cutted content:
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/mafia2fullgame
Last edited by 2k on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heatseeker
Corporal

Unread post by Heatseeker » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:57 pm

Its finally out..  and i already beat it but..  no_02 .
Sorry but 2k gaymes butchered this game, its nowhere near as good as the first one, gameplay is dumber, theres the obvious gta iv design influence, a less than mediocre story and narrative, 3rd rate mission design, but above all the game is severely cut down.

I know Daniel V?vra [url=http://(http://www.danielvavra.com/eng)](http://www.danielvavra.com/eng)[/url] left the project 2 years ago and someone from 2k games took over, i think other former Illusion guys left the project too..

The game still has that familiar Illusion Soft "touch", neat graphics, atmospheric and detailed environments, great atention to detail, immersive sound effects but thats all there is.

The first chapter made me imagine how H&D3 would look like on this engine, it was supposed to be 8 levels long but they cut it down too..
I have no idea what 2k czech will be doing next but as long as they are atached to 2gay games i doubt anything good will come out from them, they must be very frustrated right now.

I want Illusion on their own again, without the 2gay idiots!

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:19 am

Heatseeker wrote: I have no idea what 2k czech will be doing next but as long as they are atached to 2gay games i doubt anything good will come out from them, they must be very frustrated right now.
Why should they? Lots of morrons will buy it and they will get more than enaugh money ... H&D3 .. with steam and DLC .... not with me  fingers01 The good times of good games are long over

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:00 am

The publisher gets more of the price than the game developers, most likely 80%-90% of the price as with CDs, DVDs, books etc. Authors get maybe $1-$3 dollars per book.

Things like Steam will eventually allow developers to release their own games. It's a very difficult market right now, developers do the best the can.

Mafia 1's engine is shit. The graphics are awful, the cutscenes are crap and paced poorly - go back and play it! The actual story is great. It was a good game, was. The same can't be said for H&D1 and H&D2, H&D1 IMO is way better than the second. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. If H&D3 has the level of attention aspects of Mafia 2 got then we'll have a better game, better than H&D2. If the missions suck, we'll hack the bitch and make them better.

Heatseeker
Corporal

Unread post by Heatseeker » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:53 am

Mafia looked photorealistic back in 2002, and the ls3d engine wasnt shit... also Mafia had much higher production values and overall quality than H&D2. It might be a dated game now but its still a incredibly well designed game, story, narrative, pacing, music, mission design, gameplay. Mafia 2 is a butchered piece of crap. If H&D3 (assuming they even make it) is to be the same way it will have great graphics but it will suck.. dumbed down gameplay, bad mission design, cut features.. it will be a generic 3rd person console shooter with a cover system and health regeneration.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuUPnYCl_DE

Crap, poorly paced cutscenes?? They were some of the best ingame cutscenes i ever saw.
Last edited by Heatseeker on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:02 pm

Yeah Mafia was a classic .. and with the tools from today you can change it to a new level .. like changing the viewdistance http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/mafia/art ... 499,2.html or change it to much better textures http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/mafia/art ... 499,4.html
For me still one game i like to play

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:16 pm

also Mafia had much higher production values and overall quality than H&D2
How dare you :P, Mafia was released in 2002 and it feels like you control a tank, not a person. The models are the same as H&D1 released in 1999. Then look at H&D2's models, they are clearly of much better quality. The textures in Mafia 1 are awful and were below standard in 2002, look at other games. To be honest the company has a huge problem with 2d textures, in all games they are really bad in places including Mafia 2 - check the barbed wire around the top of the fences.

H&D3 will be another WW2 classic.

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Can it be that you mixed up Mafia with GTA3 ? The models where miles away better than in hd1 or in gta3