S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Steel_Monkey
Private

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Unread post by Steel_Monkey » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:44 pm

This is one helluva game. Been playin' since summer last year. Highly recommend.  thup01

Jason
Administrator

Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Unread post by Jason » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:48 am

And what is so good about it that we should stop playing H&D (for a moment) to check it out? grin01

I remember there was a bit of hype about the game but I haven't checked it out yet. What's the AI like? Environments?
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Snake_Eyes
Private

Unread post by Snake_Eyes » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:12 am

Jason wrote: And what is so good about it that we should stop playing H&D (for a moment) to check it out? grin01

I remember there was a bit of hype about the game but I haven't checked it out yet. What's the AI like? Environments?
Well, I can tell you first hand, That I had been watchin out for this game, since it was "talked about" in 2001. Right after Battlefield got popular, This new game, Where you were "in the dead zone" of Chernobyl..years after the incedent..and theres all this nasty stuff..and you have a whole world to explore..

That was the premis back then, and the early pics, and details looked cool. It turned into a "Duke Nukem Forever" title, and kept getting talked about..kept getting pushed back.

Years later I found out it got a release date, I didnt have the Machine to run it, when it came out, but I said I would always look for it, and have it when I did. It came out with mixxed reviews. They lovved it or hated it..but most loved it..

I havent played Shadow of Chernobyl. I got the Standalone exp called Clear Sky. Let me tell you..It IS VERY good. You can get it now for 15-20$. And its a FPS, with some RPG element to it. You Get different Stats to your character with items, and Armor, and WEAPONS.

There IS a story, but how you play it is up to you. You can be a nice guy, be a complete asshole. Its REAL cool. Your in "The Zone"..the area around the Chernobyl plant, that is wasted from fallout, and crazy anomolies. There are missions you can take and go do, or you can just go out, and EXPLORE the Zone..Beasts and Mercenarys and rival gangs are all out there, and how you deal with them all is up to you. You can talk to any human, and deal and trade with them, and there are "settlements" in the zone, set up by Mercs. The Soviet Military has the BORDER around the zone, Cordoned off, so people IN the zone are IN there with the anomolies, and mutants..

I havent beat it yet...Clear Sky that is.. The first one had some bugs, I guesss, and Clear Sky Is a "Fixxed" game. Instead of just running thru missions, I Go out..and explore the Zone..Sometimes you can "Buy" some info off another "Stalker" Like you na d he'll Give you coordinates to a weapons cache miles away, and then THAST your mission While you were explorin.
Weapons are fantastic, with Rainbow 6 3 Raven Shiled type weapon addons During the game you get some REAL kick ass weapons, and you can Pay a weapon tech, to Upgrade your weapon, in one of like 50 combinations..MGs..Snipers..AKs..ARs..ALL of the new cool stuff is here, with VERY relistic ballistics, and SWEET tracer effects. You can see your rounds fall in a parabolic arc..and there is Different ammo loads..AP..Frangible..

The Graphics are BETTER than Crysis...If you have a High end rig, Like I got now, You REALLY should be checkin this game out, s it will show you what your machine can do..

The BIGGEST thing about this game, Is there is NO loading..NO end of mission. There is a CONTINUOUS, day and night cycle. The sun, the moon, even the stars, and real time, RANDOM weather as well. STALKER is a sight to behold, and is one of the most underrated games of all time. You can crawl and sneak like H&D2, you can go balls out. You can Hire guns, Join a Faction..Its like GTA4 but "In the Zone"

I cant say enough GOOD stuff about this one...Go out and get STALKER Clear Sky if you can run it.

If that aint a good enough reason why to check it out then..I dunno    :grin: :grin: :grin:

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:59 am

I always had my eye on this when I first learned of it in '04 I think?

For those who like atmosphere to their games, no doubt from what SE has said and the youtube vids confirm, this is one nice piece of gaming. It definitely has the RPG sandbox style and some excellent FPS gameplay. I read somewhere that its listed among the scariest if the not the most frightening game of all time.

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.stalker-game.com/img/wallpap ... 1_1024.jpg[/img]
They Dared and Won..... And They Were Hidden and Dangerous.
1941-1945