1944 D-Day: Operation Overlord

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
SgtH3nry3
Private

Unread post by SgtH3nry3 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:04 pm

I'm an alpha tester for the game 1944 D-Day: Operation Overlord.
So I hope you don't mind that I'm advertising this, it's a game subforums after all...

1944 D-Day is a simulation game, in which you can play almost every single role in Operation Overlord...

In single-player you will live (you won't have to fight though as it is a simulation) in a realistically and accurately recreated Normandy.
The map size is 160x160km(=25600km?), in which you will play a role, whether it might be a civillian, resistance fighter, Scotsman, German medic, American chaplin, etc.

The area itself will not only be inhabited by civillians, but you'll also notice a great varity of wild-life.
In 1944 you'll encounter almost everything from hares to priests.

You will start randomly in Normandy or you will enter Normandy. (take notice! You won't start in Great-Britain!)
When you die, you'll simply switch to another unit.

Because this battlefield is huge and hundreds of units are scattered, the AI system named Intelligent Tutoring System? is delivering fights of over 100.000 bot-players fighting, thinking, moving or dying.
This is all processed simultaenously.
And every bot is different, because it has knowlegde about something else.
It's not an AI which is built to shoot and surround you.
This AI is created to think like a human, with emotions, knowledge, all have a complete life of its own.
This all happens real-time, and is processed real-time.

As an example:
As a leading officer you can command an squad or company to maintain a certain area, may it be a village or forest.
In a village the AI will use it's knowlegde, so instead of placing bots at random spots, the AI will try to use it's artificial brains.
Bots will notice that a machinegun can be set-up on a tactical place and trenches can help to defend a city. (The bots and players can dig and use trenches and foxholes)

Every single action will be recorded in the AI systems cache, and it will learn that you are either a sick bastard or a true brother in arms.

The communication system is much like the WW2's comm system.
Radiomen are used to establish a wireless voice connection between squads, companies, divisions and whole armies.
Without this, the homefront will not be informed and might be unaware of your actions. This could be fatal for both you and your army.

The setting of this game is pure realism, no crosshairs, no HUDs, just ironsights and your own body, your surroundings and your mates to inform you.

This game isn't infantry-based only, the whole battlefield aspect will be brought to this game.
Only it's going to be much more detailed, versatile and realistic then the Battlefield-series.

Flight-simmers and Tank-simmers might fall in love with 1944 D-Day, as it creates a realistic and detailed simulation of aircraft and groundvehicles.
It will handle as easy as Battlefield will, but have the realism and detail degree of IL-2 Sturmovik...

The game is built up on the next-gen Reality Engine, which is even better than Unreal Engine 3.0 and much cheaper. In fact, Epic had to buy Unreal Engine 3.0 but the concurrent was to dangerous!!!

Furthermore, for the tech-lovers, this game will have the kick-ass NovodeX physics engine which means it will be fully compatible with the PhysX add-on card.
The networksystem is RakNet, a versatile and fully upgradeble system.
Trees, grass and other vegetation are built with SpeedTree RT.
Sound will be handled by EAX 5.0 Advanced HD taking the max out of your SoundBlaster X-Fi soundcard.

You can check out our website and forums at www.1944game.com

BUT!!! If you are going to register at the forums, don't forget to fill my nickname in the Referrer textbox. ;) :D

Thanks for giving to oppertunity to post this!
And see you on the forums! ;)

P.S.: I can answer questions, but you'd better ask Ronan Hayes on the 1944 forums...

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:38 pm

Cool, if it's half as good as it sounds it'll be amazing. Thanks for the pointer. Looks to me as if it's a long way from completion, but this could be a truly great game.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:32 pm

It sounds good, but IMHO, isn?t there enough Normandy scenario\campaing based mods\games?

No offensive, but IMHO, Africa or Eastern Front would be abit more diffrent, even Pacific mod would be great IMHO.

If HL-2 would work on my comp, I would await this mod alot. The idea etc are great and the models looks good etc.
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:33 pm

Hes just an Alpha tester, I dont think it was his idea...

More people know "late 44" events popularized by hollywood...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

SgtH3nry3
Private

Unread post by SgtH3nry3 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:31 pm

[quote=""Oldih""]It sounds good, but IMHO, isn?t there enough Normandy scenario\campaing based mods\games?

No offensive, but IMHO, Africa or Eastern Front would be abit more diffrent, even Pacific mod would be great IMHO.

If HL-2 would work on my comp, I would await this mod alot. The idea etc are great and the models looks good etc.[/quote]Yes the expansion packs of North Africa (Tobruk region) and Eastern Front (unconfirmed location) will appear after 1944: D-Day: Op. Overlord.

Heck, we were discussing an expansion pack or new game (based on the same engine and middleware) about the Somme in WW1!!!

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:55 pm

WWI, sounds good idea but most people don?t like that you just sit in a trench shooting people til someone shoots you.

Atleast it would be something diffrent, but good question: How does the mass react? :P

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:02 pm

Just sitting in a trench!?

And what about; air crew, engineers, scouts, tank crew?

And between battles you can fight rats and disease...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:00 pm

Well that?s true, you could fight rats and diseases. Would give lot more interest for it.

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:43 pm

Yeh, you could have a 'splat the rat with a spade' side game. And then you have the attraction of being able to pick lice off and fry them alive on your mess tin over a fire. Huzaah! There's never been a WWI game as far as I know, and there's a good reason why.

As well as the Hollywood popularisation of the Normandy campaigns, I think they also get a lot of attention from developers because of the sort of combat. Games can best handle paratrooper situations, with a small squad of your guys versus a lot of their guys, which happened a lot at the start of Normandy. So it's easier to make and popular, so it makes muchos dollores.

I'm fine with the Normandy setting, hasn't really been done in a large scale. WWII Online is probably the only WWII game anything like this. For those that aren't familiar with it, that deals with the first Blitzkrieg attack on France, although it obviously lasts a lot longer and becomes largely fictional, rather like a WWI situation with WWII technology.

Only problem with this game is it's too ambitious, I doubt it'll live up to their hopes, unless they take years to make it. Talk of expansion packs in whole new combat zones is unrealistic - WWII Online has been hinting at this for years, but still we only have the Western European theatre.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:38 am

IMHO, only real *issue* with the western front is usually that only some victorious and known parts have been usually made something else, like Brecourt manor thing in Call of Duty, well it feels like that a paratroop army attacks against company of Germans, or like D-Day?s stuff has been usually played in many games, more or less diffrent way.

What I would like to see, is to have a well designed battle of Caen, or like Market Garden. There are losses pretty much on both sides, in both the situations are more or less crappier etc (like in Arnhem, Frost?s men were surrounded and cut off from supplies almost all the time during the spearhed of Arnhem?s north bridgehead), or like some of Italian front, like landings on Salerno and advancing towards inland, or Battle of the Bulge in meaning of defence, not turning it into ramboattack so it feels that Germans are defending :P

I apologize, I said it rather harsh way about western front but I have gotten tired of it that usually you see same stuff all the time in diffrent package. (BiA?s are only a real expections; even though you visit famous places etc, it has lots of historical based stuff and in the game, you must use tactics to eliminate rather than your trigger finger to enemy effectively; you don?t win war just by some sort of warmachine, you need to know how to use it)

And sorry for forgotting my manners H3nry3, but welcome to the boards mate, I forgot to say this first time :P

SgtH3nry3
Private

Unread post by SgtH3nry3 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:45 am

[quote=""Oldih""]IMHO, only real *issue* with the western front is usually that only some victorious and known parts have been usually made something else, like Brecourt manor thing in Call of Duty, well it feels like that a paratroop army attacks against company of Germans, or like D-Day?s stuff has been usually played in many games, more or less diffrent way.

What I would like to see, is to have a well designed battle of Caen, or like Market Garden. There are losses pretty much on both sides, in both the situations are more or less crappier etc (like in Arnhem, Frost?s men were surrounded and cut off from supplies almost all the time during the spearhed of Arnhem?s north bridgehead), or like some of Italian front, like landings on Salerno and advancing towards inland, or Battle of the Bulge in meaning of defence, not turning it into ramboattack so it feels that Germans are defending :P

I apologize, I said it rather harsh way about western front but I have gotten tired of it that usually you see same stuff all the time in diffrent package. (BiA?s are only a real expections; even though you visit famous places etc, it has lots of historical based stuff and in the game, you must use tactics to eliminate rather than your trigger finger to enemy effectively; you don?t win war just by some sort of warmachine, you need to know how to use it)[/quote]Well before someone shouts omg another game centered around the Americans...
Wrong, you are able to play for the Germans, French resistance, Scotsmen, Irishmen, Australians, New-Zealanders, Polishmen, Austrians, etc.

Actually BiA proves to be very unrealistic, they use ironsights that have too much sway and an odd sway-movement which does not fit to a human upperbody.
They don't have actual physics to base the gameplay on (only Karma physics from the UE2.0/UE2.5 engine)
Their iron-sights when attacking someone while firing surpressive are totally borked, and you have a HUD and light thingies (corona's).

1944 will feature just your vocal, scent and visual senses (and teammates) to tell you what is going on with your or someone else's situation.
The AI is quite a complex system, which has several attributes to recognize you, tactics, situations, places, etc.
Companionship in BiA is all scripted (surrealistic) but in 1944 they work using ITS, which has attributes like respect, love, crazyness, etc.

Now there will be no arrows pointing where you send your men to, but your own finger will point at the desired place.

And if you want, you can walk through out the whole level (would take a damn lot of time though :D) and you might see famous spots like Caf? de Normandie in Carentan, Cafe Gondre? in Benouville (at Pegasus Bridge), etc.
But alot of Normandian terrain is unknown for a player.
It is 25600km? so probably 160x160km
And sorry for forgotting my manners H3nry3, but welcome to the boards mate, I forgot to say this first time :P
No big deal ;) I didn't say "Hi" either... :lol:

So have any of you got more questions? :D

Btw. This game simulates Operation Overlord not the history.
So if you fail capturing.. say Pegasus Bridge... You can still play on, but the Allied army will have a rough time dealing with Germans and the Germans might eventually win.
Last edited by SgtH3nry3 on Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:47 pm

What about the fact that the paras didnt use the BAR?

Cafe De Normandie!

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:57 pm

Actually BiA proves to be very unrealistic, they use ironsights that have too much sway and an odd sway-movement which does not fit to a human upperbody.
They don't have actual physics to base the gameplay on (only Karma physics from the UE2.0/UE2.5 engine)
Their iron-sights when attacking someone while firing surpressive are totally borked, and you have a HUD and light thingies (corona's).
I know that BiA has the IS stuff bit too much sway, but isn?t it the idea to prevent you not to be the miracle machine that own German war machine alone?

Besides, it is matter of opinion, and in RTH30, the sway thing was bit annoying but you got used to it very fast (especially when you play it on controller), but in EiB, IMHO, the weapons barely sway anymore and my best record is that I completed two missions without my teams (or let?s say I ordered them to get killed (skirmish missions though) immediatly and finished rest myself)), so even though it is bit unrealistic the sway thing, so why say the entire game is unrealistic?
No offense, but like the cover system is rather *strange* for many FPS players - what?s the big deal? It is the way to prevent MoH style ramboing and even CoD style stuff, since you really don?t need teammates in CoD for example, what you need is just SMG and ammo for it and you can kill anyone you see. (really, no offensive but just my couple of cents of saying somethign around)

Couple of main reasons why I like myself BiA, is that it has historical based stuff, it has good overall realism, and you need your team (atleast in RTH30, in EiB, you really don?t need your team because the sway.... is there sway in EiB?s weapons?).

IMHO, graphics nor psychics does not make the game. Like Panzer General II is good example:
It is now around 9 years old game, it has this common hex-strategy stuff, it graphics are totally from arse if we compare to CoD2 (for example), it is somewhat buggy and etc, but the gameplay and etc are great. The German Blitzkrieg campaign for example, gives you lots of oppoturnities.

Good example PGII?s Blitzkrieg campaign is that if you do very well, you can actually invade London, or like capture Moscow, which never happened in real life.

So, there?s my two cents of answering. And I think we should stop this *flamewar* here, I know I started it but I want to end it too.

So, to get back to the topic, as I said before, the mod looks and sounds good. I just hope it is not ruined by good graphics and psychics and let the gameplay itself be crappy.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:38 pm

You really concider this a "flamewar"?

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:47 pm

Yes, in my point of view.