The German Perspective

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
LondonSAS
Sergeant

The German Perspective

Unread post by LondonSAS » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:43 am

I've belatedly discovered RTS games (always preferred FPS) and finding I'm quite enjoying them. Playing Codename Panzers Phase 1 at the mo and loving it.
The best thing with it is having a chance to play from the German side with the heroes being German. Refreshing change.
Being new to RTS games, are there any other games where the Germans are the good guys?
Just an observation, but political correctness appears to be depriving us WWII game lovers of some good shit. Imagine a game based around the exploits of Jochen Peiper or Otto Skorzeny, or Operation Barbarossa, or any of the campaigns fought from the German perspective......would be a whole new genre...if the maufacturers weren't so timid.

da fish
Sergeant

The German Perspective

Unread post by da fish » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:30 pm

Not in any way a RTS, but IL2-sturmovik allows you fly german planes over russia during barbarossa.

Lardassmonkey
Sergeant

The German Perspective

Unread post by Lardassmonkey » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:07 pm

Soldiers: heroes of WW2 is one of the best RTS out there IMO and that has a great german campaign. You play from the point of view of Micheal Wittman in the fighting around Villers Bocage, lots of tank fighting. 8) It has good British (commando), American (para) and Russian (tank crew turned Spetznaz) campaigns too and thats just in its original form.

LondonSAS
Sergeant

The German Perspective

Unread post by LondonSAS » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:30 pm

Cheers Lardass
Michael Wittman? ADD TO CART!!! Cut my teeth on stories of his heroics. He certainly earned his place in Valhalla!!!
Any of you guys read the J.J. Fedorowicz books on these teutonic warriors? Unembelished, Allied propaganda-free accounts of the stories of Panzermeyer, Ernst Barkmann, Wittman, Peiper etc. etc.
Check them out...
http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/

Berry_Racer
Lieutenant

The German Perspective

Unread post by Berry_Racer » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:39 am

Anybody played Codename panzers, thats a great RTS game..Which rates much higher than heros of world war 2 in reviews...but hey what does that matter..but anyway does anyone else play it?

LondonSAS
Sergeant

The German Perspective

Unread post by LondonSAS » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:24 am

Berry, have a look at my original post you nut nut :D
I started playing it about two weeks back....very very good. Maybe you can help me. I'm on the level where you have to hunt down the Yugoslavian partisans....and I cannot for the life of me suss ou how to progress. It seems you can't go on to 90% of the map. I'm missing something. Do you know a good walkthrough site?

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

The German Perspective

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:00 pm

That sounds like an Otto map!
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

LT YORK UK
Private

codename panzers phase 1

Unread post by LT YORK UK » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:15 pm

Bought codename panzers for a fiver off amazon.co.uk and in my opinion it is the best RTS WWII game i have played so far ......phase two is released july 22nd...can't wait for that one!
there is a walkthrough for the game at www.gamespot.com just type codename panzers phase one into the search box!
also like how you can upload your scores for all campaigns and missions....nice to know how good or crap you are doing by comparing scores!

Berry_Racer
Lieutenant

Re: The German Perspective

Unread post by Berry_Racer » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:16 am

[quote=""LondonSAS""]I've belatedly discovered RTS games (always preferred FPS) and finding I'm quite enjoying them. Playing Codename Panzers Phase 1 at the mo and loving it.
The best thing with it is having a chance to play from the German side with the heroes being German. Refreshing change.
Being new to RTS games, are there any other games where the Germans are the good guys?
Just an observation, but political correctness appears to be depriving us WWII game lovers of some good shit. Imagine a game based around the exploits of Jochen Peiper or Otto Skorzeny, or Operation Barbarossa, or any of the campaigns fought from the German perspective......would be a whole new genre...if the maufacturers weren't so timid.[/quote]

[quote=""Berry_Racer""]Anybody played Codename panzers, thats a great RTS game..Which rates much higher than heros of world war 2 in reviews...but hey what does that matter..but anyway does anyone else play it?[/quote]

Sorry, must not of read properly :oops:
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~tthomps6/owned3.jpg

Oldih
Global Moderator

The German Perspective

Unread post by Oldih » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:44 pm

Blitzkrieg is nice RTS game, covering from early to late war from Allied, German or Soviet vision. In Germans the campaing starts from Invasion of Poland 1939, while Allied campaing starts from Norway 1940, and Soviet campaing about Winter War 1939. It is nice game, reguiring bit more tactics than simple rush in. Infrantry is well made, even it is rather easy to take out with tanks etc.

Also air support works quite nice in Blitzkrieg and its also simple to learn, and also there are several forms of air support, like Fighters take out enemy planes, bombers bomb area, reconnaisance planes fly over the area for long period of time and air-to-ground support planes etc, also paratroopers exist too.

Also Blitzkrieg has some well made armour system, for example tracks can be destroyed, engine can be destroyed, and like PanzerIIF cant stand against Matilda II etc.

Infrantry is rather weak, but still useable if you use them correctly, like tanks to cover them etc.

So I would recommend Blitzkrieg if you want some nice RTS, and not just about late war.

Also Close Combat II - A Bridge too Far is still my own favorite, even it is rather old and you wont find it easily anymore. (game was released in 97)

Both games are good, especially Blitzkrieg cause you can relive the early years of war, and in CCII Germans can win quite easily if you just know how to use your power.
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

LondonSAS
Sergeant

The German Perspective

Unread post by LondonSAS » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:54 am

Yeah just got the Blitzkrieg series. Haven't loaded 'em yet as I'm still busy with Panzers but looks good from reading the reviews etc. then there's Codename Panzers Phase 2....... we're spoilt rotten at the moment!

Still, I'd happily forego all these for H&D3, when the fook are they gonna bring it out? Gotta hone my house to house fighting tactics for when we take our cities back from the M****ms :evil:

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

The German Perspective

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:53 pm

LmAo, funny...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted: