Enemy In Sight

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
baff
Corporal

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by baff » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:14 pm

[quote=""-ViTaMiHnM203-""]Set in 2010 and still using A2s? I dont buy it...

Im hoping by 2010 we will have integrated the M8, and any1 still using an M16 will be using the A4...[/quote]

I'm not so into sci fi games with sci fi guns like M8, I find games based on existing or historically correct equipment a little easier to "believe" in.
the difference between A2 and A4 versions of the armalite rifle strike me as totally irrelevent within a gameplay enviroment. If it graphically looks like an M16 and is an accurate and effective weapon at rifle ranges in the game I will be satisfied.
Similarly it made no difference to me what version of the Lee Enfield rifle was portrayed in Had2. It looked like a Lee Enfield. It had the right number of bullets and behaved like all the other rifles.

If this game plays like H&D2 (with co-op) in a cold war scenario it will be right up my street.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:07 pm

The M8 is not at all sci fi, and exists...
Maybe it wont be adopted, but maybe it will...

The A4 does serve gameplay, it would allow for rail mods...

I hate your mentality on this weapons subject...
I actually do care about the exact versions of each weapon placed in HD2...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

pkd
Private

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by pkd » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:59 pm

Here is some information I have.

"We are very close to finishing The Game Editor, which enables the players to create their own missions and even campaigns. Our own "Enemy in Sight" website is in development, where you'll be able to find a lot of interesting information about the game. The site would be ready for launch at the end of October at the latest for a several month pre release run to spring 2006 with updates every month including screenshots, video of gameplay, wallpapers etc. "

"in reply of your last email I can inform you that Enemy in Sight takes place in the three large locations ? Czech Republic, Germany and England. These locations are made according to the real landscape thanks to the application of digital terrain model and aerial photography. The area of every location is over one hundred square kilometres, it is over 40 square miles. The initial accuracy of digital model moves within the range from 1 to 10 meters. The landscape has roads, watercourses and, in particular, the buildings that have been created precisely according to real structures.
As I have said the basic size of each location is over 100 square kilometres but this is not all: we do not want to create any landscape boundary and so the whole model of terrain will be flipped over and mirrored into all sides. It will make the resulting size of the landscape larger than 900 square kilometres (more than 350 square miles)! Of course only the inner square (10 x 10 km) will continue to be in accordance with reality but the player will never bump into any wall. We are going to allow the player partly to enter the other mirrored squares without any physical limitations. Of course the vegetation in these squares will be arranged differently.

The player will have enormous freedom of movement and action - usage of all kinds of civilian and military equipment, destruction of buildings and objects, destruction of vegetation, climbing up the trees (optional feature), digging of trenches, controlling air and artillery assaults, the posibility of changing clothes (optional feature) and others. For these reasons I hope you will enjoy and explore our game many hours. :)"

"As for coop mode it will be a natural part of the game. I personally love the coop mode in the games like Halo 2 or Ghost Recon 2 on Xbox and we want to have something similar for Enemy in Sight. We have finished the basic part of the cooperative game and it should be possible to play with 8 players together. Of course I'm aware of the fact that the American rifle squad has 9 soldiers but we have to respect technological limitations. Coop mode will offer the players chance to play singleplayer missions together and this is more important for us than strict reality. But we'll see later. We can still change the conditions of this mode."

"As I wrote last time the Coop mode will offer the players chance to play singleplayer missions together. It means you can play with your friends against AI soldiers but in SP missions. Of course there will be hundreds of AI soldiers fight against each other ..."

Drozdov
Major

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by Drozdov » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Sounds good, thanks for sharing. Hope the Enemy in Site website is better than the H&D 2 one was.

I love the idea of terrain manipulation, trench digging and tree climbing (or burning - I've heard in other articles you can start forest fires).
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

pkd
Private

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by pkd » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:51 pm

[quote=""Drozdov""]Sounds good, thanks for sharing. Hope the Enemy in Site website is better than the H&D 2 one was.

I love the idea of terrain manipulation, trench digging and tree climbing (or burning - I've heard in other articles you can start forest fires).[/quote]

It looks like it will have quite a few nice features, I just hope they do a very good job with the the AI for all those people who like Coop mode, nothing worse then static AI thats in the same place all the time.
If it has AI on the level of BF2 or better, then I will be happy.

I dont believe I have ever played a game from Illusion so I have no idea what to expect from them.

Here is an interesting screenshot.

Lars
Commando

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by Lars » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:15 pm

Hmm I always thought it is an mp shooter only ... with an coop mode and editor (I can?t belive that) it started my intress again :D

Lardassmonkey
Sergeant

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by Lardassmonkey » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:09 pm

I've always been interested in this game but now its really got my attention. Can't beat a bit of co-op. :D I hope you get to play as other nationalities rather than just as US and Russian, the game is set in the UK, Germany and CZ so fingers crossed you can play as them or at least use their equipment at some point in the game.

pkd
Private

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by pkd » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:52 pm

[quote=""Lardassmonkey""]I've always been interested in this game but now its really got my attention. Can't beat a bit of co-op. :D I hope you get to play as other nationalities rather than just as US and Russian, the game is set in the UK, Germany and CZ so fingers crossed you can play as them or at least use their equipment at some point in the game.[/quote]

Im not sure on that, but it does look like U.S. and Russia pretty much.
Although this statement
"usage of all kinds of civilian and military equipment"
+
"the posibility of changing clothes (optional feature) "

Might mean you can play an armed civilian (im just guessing here) though.

But if it garners a following, there might be mods made for it :)

Jason
Administrator

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by Jason » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:53 pm

Wow! :shock:

Thank you pkd! That is some great information and excellent news. But where did you get it all from?
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

pkd
Private

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by pkd » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:19 pm

[quote=""Jason""]Wow! :shock:

Thank you pkd! That is some great information and excellent news. But where did you get it all from?[/quote]

No problem, I am excited about this game and thought I would share what I have.

The text information came from an email converstation I had with Ivan Kratochvil the Lead Designer for Illusion Softworks.

The picture came from from http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen.asp?id=8720

baff
Corporal

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by baff » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:34 am

[quote=""-ViTaMiHnM203-""]The M8 is not at all sci fi, and exists...
Maybe it wont be adopted, but maybe it will...

The A4 does serve gameplay, it would allow for rail mods...

I hate your mentality on this weapons subject...
I actually do care about the exact versions of each weapon placed in HD2...[/quote]
The M8 does not exist. The Xm8 does.
Where "X" stands for experimental.
The M demonination weapons refer to actual service weapons.
The M16, the M4, the M1, the M14 and even the M60 all exist, but the M8 does not.
The M8 is pure science fiction. Maybe in the future this weapon will exist. It does not now.

Will the U.S. Military order production of Xm8? Not very likely. They have just ordered a whole load more M4 replacements.

A rifle is a rifle.
When I pick up a weapon I don't care what "version" it is, only that it does the job.
With respect to a video game the more real it looks the better the immersion.
At no point is it ever going to be a real gun.
I can put a "rail mod", (whatever that maybe) on an A2, or an A4, a Luger pistol or perhaps that rifle from Halo if I like. (I could even put rail mod on Homer Simpsons underpants).

When you play H&D2 can you really tell which version of the Sten gun you are holding, or which model Thompson, just by looking at it or firing it with your mouse?
Has it really made any difference to your game that you (don't) know?
It's a Sten gun. It looks like a Sten gun and behaves enough like a Sten gun within the game enviroment to satisfy me that it is one.

Can you tell the difference between a Lee Enfield mark 3 and 4 and if so, can you see it?

I find that the overglorification of weapons and weapons systems detracts from that "army" feeling. You get what your given.

Hate on my attitude to the game weapons all you like.

That press release says everything I wanted to hear.
Sounds like they might be listening with regards to co-op and mission editiors/modding tools.

I take these things with a pinch of salt of course, all game developments begin promising everything to everyone and most have to drop a few features along the way to get it finished.

Ai
With regards to Ai, Ghost Recon 3 is promising a new type of Ai called a "mastermind Ai" which acts as the squad commander co-ordinating the response of Ai teams to the players actions.
I hope the boys pick up on that one too.

This game has so far been extremely good at including options for play as many different nationalities. I really view that as part of its charm and success. I too hope they continue with this formula.

Being able to mod uniforms and weapons would be another plus for editor tools, so that those countries that got left out could join in. As would server options to automatically download mods.

I hope they have mastered the networking this time so I can make multiple connections to the same server from behind a NAT. I'd like for my games lan to play online.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:57 am

I know what the X stands for baffyface, do you know what the M stands for? TskTsk...

This weapon still exists, and to ME isnt "scifi"...

Now, the US has givin up on HK and the M8, plus changed the specs on the system they want...

So, your rite now... That weapon will most likly never see full service...

Your going to sodder a rail onto the Lugar? Your going to sodder a rail onto the A2? Or you mean TAPE the mods? Or screw onto the carrying handle? Or you just want them to appear?

Yes, I can tell the differance just by looking at them in game...

Sten Mk2 and M1A1...

Has it made a differance? Yes...

Yes, I can tell the differance, do you mean No1 Mark 3 and No4 Mark 1?

Theres a large conciderably easy differance to tell...

Yeh, army feeling... LmAo...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Besides that, I would like them to use the A4 instead of the A2 for my own personal "realisim satisfication"!

I played OFP, have it installed, good open ended terrain...

Just seems like this game will just be stupid...

I have little faith in the project leaders...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Skandaleare
Private

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by Skandaleare » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:30 pm

Amazing news!
SP and MP and coop!!! With an editor!

This game sounds perfect!!!
Top of my list.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:44 pm

Anuther point might I add...

Since I just took a look at the screenshots for the second time...

They arnt wearing the ACU...

LoL...
Last edited by -ViTaMiHnM203- on Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baff
Corporal

Enemy In Sight

Unread post by baff » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:40 am

I'm glad you now know what the x stands for.
Perhaps you will now concur that the "m8" doesn't exist and isn't a real weapon.

Any game with the "xm8 or even "m8" used as U.S. infantry rifle is science fiction. Pure and simple.
The m8 doesn't exist and the Xm8 is not used by the U.S military.
The concept that it does is a fiction and the concept that it will in the future, is a science fiction. That's what the words mean.

The theme of Ghost Recon 3 looks more in this vein, and hopefully will have a similar style of play. Smilarly to your own opinions of this development team I have become quite jaded with the further developments of the Ghost Recon series and am looking for this game to to be my next progression in this style of gameplay in it's place as indeed H&D2 has been for me.

If by "sodder" you mean solder, it's a computer game. You just draw it on, and it's there.
No welding or duct tape required. Try 3d Studio Max or something.

It was helpful of you to take me up on my spelling of United Kindom as a plural and since that infers that I am an "iddy" I feel it only fair to point out that there is no such thing as "sodder" and Luger is spelt with an er not an ar. I'm sure you will be able to spellcheck this over at www.guns.ru.

With regards to the Lee Enfield the weapons I was inaccurately refering to are all no.4's, having googled away I find that the mark numbers I had provided you were incorrect. There is no mark 4 only 1-3. please re-evaluate my previous comments based upon this more precise information.

I can understand your desire for a game to suit your personal sense of realism.
However your comments thus far are very removed from any reality I am able to share with you.