Shadow of Chernobyl query

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Grimples
Major

Shadow of Chernobyl query

Unread post by Grimples » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:40 pm

I dont want to go join another forum just to ask one question & will probably get the question answered in here, my question is:

(i will state 1st that i am using patch 10005 & 'Stalker Complete 2012')

Why am i not hearing footsteps or any movement sounds from any of the other characters & beasties, only my own, those boars must come charging at me on their tiptoes, ufb! Is this my game or is it supposed to be this way.

Duke0196
Captain

Re: Shadow of Chernobyl query

Unread post by Duke0196 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:30 pm

I don't have the game but this is apparently a known bug. I hope this info might help you. thup01

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Bug /no sound/ - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSwQ-k35-w

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. surround sound fix - Guru3D.com Forums
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=218787

STALKER No surround sound? Possible fix - Steam Users' Forums
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1229614

This info might also help.
http://www.tweakguides.com/STALKER_6.html

Sound

SFX, Music Volume: These sliders control the volume level of the Special Effects (SFX), and any music in game, such as that played in the main menu. Setting these sliders to the far left does not turn remove music or sound effects, so it has no impact on performance. See the Advanced Tweaking section if you wish to actually disable the loading of all sounds, e.g. to troubleshoot a sound problem.

EAX: You can enable Environmental Audio (EAX) on sound cards which support this functionality - primarily Creative SoundBlaster/Audigy/X-Fi cards. When enabled, sound effects will become more realistic in 3D space, but it may also reduce performance slightly and cause audio glitches on some systems.

If you are having audio problems, first make sure you're running the latest audio driver for your sound solution. Then you may want to try switching the audio renderer, either to see if performance and/or functionality improves, or to see if it resolves your audio problems. Use the -dsound command line switch covered in the Advanced Tweaking section. This forces STALKER to use the DirectSound audio renderer instead of OpenAL audio. Note that Windows Vista or 7 users who force DirectSound will automatically be switched to software audio mode and will lose EAX effects, though this may resolve audio problems - see the Sound section of the relevant TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for more details.

If that doesn't work, or you don't want to use DirectSound, for further troubleshooting first make sure your OpenAL version is the latest by checking here - download and compare the file versions of the existing OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll files under your \Program Files\THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\bin directory. Some people claim that using this particular OpenAL32.dll file in place of the one in the above game directory resolves issues with EAX and 5.1 surround not working, so perhaps give that a try (backup the original OpenAL32.dll file first). Finally, you can experiment with the snd_ variables, as well as the -nosound switch, covered in the Advanced Tweaking section to see if sound is the source of the problem. If nothing else works, then either a patch from the game's developers, or audio driver updates, or both, may be the only solution.

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks Duke... but the sound works fine, it's the sound of all the other characters in game, their footstep volume is too low. If a 15 stone wild boar is charging up behind you or stomping right next to you , your gonna hear its hooved feet stomping the ground. Just tried playing without the 'Stalker Complete' mod & it's still the same. The human characters make no or very little movement sound also, it does't feel right!

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:46 pm

You're right. Something that heavy would make a bit of noise. :lol:

Well, if the sound is working right in other games ... then I guess its not a short or bad jack.

I do see that "Stalker Complete 2012" changes sound files. I wonder if that is the culprit? :?:

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Grim did sayeth: "Just tried playing without the 'Stalker Complete' mod & it's still the same."
It must be done by design, still enjoying the game... so far!

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Grimples wrote:Grim did sayeth: "Just tried playing without the 'Stalker Complete' mod & it's still the same."
Well, you're younger than me ... so your eyes are probably sharper. :lol: But seriously, I didn't explain myself well. Not knowing the game I didn't know if the mod system, if any, overwrote original files.
Grimples wrote:It must be done by design, still enjoying the game... so far!
I, too, was beginning to think the same as I continued to look for a solution. Aside from the "no sound" bugs, I've also noticed quite a few threads stating the sound is bad, weak, "sux," etc.

You may have seen these sound mods but just in case you haven't ...
http://stalker.filefront.com/files/Stal ... usic;10539

Cheers, good luck, and happy gaming! thup01