Adventure games

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
geosouv
Lieutenant

Adventure games

Unread post by geosouv » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:39 am

Hello everyone,

I was wandering, do you play any adventure games? I play lots of them and they are my favorite genre. My favorite computer game ever is Syberia 1 & 2. Well actually they were planned as one game but Microids France found that it would take too long to develop both of them in one game so they decided to make them in two games. My blog is actually dedicated to adventure games. I will start playing Benoit Sokal's Paradise one of these days, a game which music and story are wonderful. The adventure game I recently finished is Secret Files: Tunguska and a few days ago I downloaded Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis from the adventure shop. It was very good but critics say Secret Files 2 is even better. I find that a bit hard to believe but I will see.
Don't think you know who you are, know who you are

Duke0196
Captain

Re: Adventure games

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:56 am

I do infrequently. The last adventure game I played was "Sam & Max Season One" which was a couple years ago.

I remember the Syberia demos. They were interesting and nice graphics for their time. I considered picking them up but unfortunately I don't recall the games being on the shelves so I either missed them or they weren't carried.

Wiping away the cobwebs ... some of the adventure games I played were:

- "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" (1992), "Day of the Tentacle" (1993), "Sam & Max Hit the Road" (1993), as part of the LucasArts Archives Vol I. and Sierra's Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist (1993). Unfortunately, I no longer have these.

Adventure games I still have are:
- Heart of China (1991) [Six 3.5" HD diskettes in glorious VGA graphics]
- Blade Runner (1997)
- The Curse of Monkey Island (1997)
- Grim Fandango (1998)
- Escape from Monkey Island (2000)
- American McGee's Alice (2000)

I reinstalled Steam and noticed some of these games are available through them. If you are into darker adventures Alice: Madness Returns is available this weekend on Steam for 1/2 price $14.99. "Lost Horizon" caught my eye and I'm currently trying out the demo. I might pick it up once I complete a couple other active games I have going.

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:35 am

Then you should play both Syberias. They are the greatest PC games I have ever played. They will really move you. Trust me ;)

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:58 am

Depends what you mean by Adventure games. I like to play Adventure platform games on consoles like Shadow Man and Banjo Kazooie for the Nintendo 64 but it was a long time ago since I played those. Point and click Advenutre games are not my thing :shock: give me a Sten gun over that stuff any day ;) I think I prefer puzzle games to Advenute story driven games. I prefer Adventure movies over Adventure games.

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Jason,

By adventure games I mean point & click ones. Like Syberia and Macinarium. I highly recommend you play one of them, just to see why they are superior in a cultural level. If you actually decide to play one, I suggest Syberia (1) and if you like it play the sequel: Syberia 2. I used to be like you. I considered adventure games boring, but then my favorite magazine gave Syberia in an issue. I played it after a long time and I never stopped playing adventure games ever since smile01 . Think about it.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:06 pm

geosouv wrote:Then you should play both Syberias. They are the greatest PC games I have ever played. They will really move you. Trust me ;)
Thanks George. Actually, I ordered the Syberia Collection this morning.

It has the two Syberias plus AmerZone.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RL8FTS/

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:29 pm

Jason wrote:Depends what you mean by Adventure games.
I think George is leaning more towards graphic adventure games.
Jason wrote: Point and click Advenutre games are not my thing :shock: give me a Sten gun over that stuff any day ;) I think I prefer puzzle games to Advenute story driven games. I prefer Adventure movies over Adventure games.
I'm not wild about the Sten's sights but hey, point and click is a piece of cake. I remember text adventures on my Commodore 64. :lol:

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:09 am

Got in my Syberia Collection yesterday. It includes Amerzone, Syberia, & Syberia II on one DVD.

Amerzone seems to have a problem with showing cutscenes and visuals on my W7 64-bit. I haven't founded a solution yet through my efforts or online. No problem so far with Syberia or Syberia II so I went ahead and started Syberia since Amerzone is not necessarily to understand the Syberia storyline.

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Wow Duke, I am glad you got all those three games. They are truly excellent and not too difficult for inexperienced adventurers ;) Amerzone is the easiest, following Syberia and Syberia II being the hardest. Do tell me your first impressions. And if you get stuck on a puzzle, just let me know. I am a veteran at Syberia games and will be able to help you a lot. I didn't realize my words would have such an immediate impact on other people :eek: Just keep in mind that these games are slow, compared to FPS and they require some thinking to get through. It's a whole new experience.
By the way, did you buy them from an American seller?

I will start playing Sabre Squadron as soon as I write my review on Max Payne 2 (oh what a boring task it is)! I finished Call Of Duty: United Offensive a few days ago and finished writing it's review today. A great game indeed, very impressive and better than COD 1. What do you think of United Offensive?

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:32 am

geosouv wrote:I finished Call Of Duty: United Offensive a few days ago and finished writing it's review today. A great game indeed, very impressive and better than COD 1. What do you think of United Offensive?
I have to disagree on that, I thought COD:UO was pretty bland. I didn't think either COD:UO or COD2 were as good as the original COD game. It just felt like more of the same thing, they didn't add to the game at all. The first level of COD:UO is good but apart from that I don't remember anything great about it. What did you think was impressive about it over the original game?

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:46 am

geosouv wrote:Wow Duke, I am glad you got all those three games. They are truly excellent and not too difficult for inexperienced adventurers ;) Amerzone is the easiest, following Syberia and Syberia II being the hardest.
Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten "Amerzone" to work right and have jumped into "Syberia" (currently Chapter 3). I did notice how a few references were made to "Amerzone" in Chapter 2. I doubt missing Amerzone is a game breaker but I'm still looking for solutions online.
geosouv wrote: Do tell me your first impressions.
So far so good. thup01 I'm not a phone person so the cell is a bit irritating but apparently it is an integral part of the game.
geosouv wrote: And if you get stuck on a puzzle, just let me know. I am a veteran at Syberia games and will be able to help you a lot.
I appreciate the offer. I've been lucky so far. :grin:
geosouv wrote: I didn't realize my words would have such an immediate impact on other people :eek: Just keep in mind that these games are slow, compared to FPS and they require some thinking to get through. It's a whole new experience.
I don't mind the adventure games. As I previously mentioned I was already interested in picking the Syberia games after trying the demos but never was able to find Syberia in the stores. You just reawakened my interest. So thanks.
geosouv wrote:By the way, did you buy them from an American seller?
Yes, from an American mob in New Jersey, though the packing is for the European market. I could have saved a couple dollars by buying it from a UK seller but I'd probably still be waiting for the collection. Anyway, several Amazon resellers often sell European games which may not make it "across the pond" (across the Atlantic). For instance, I purchased "Sacred 2: Fallen Angel" locally but the "Ice & Blood" was only available in Europe. Some games that are popular in Europe unfortunately do not have the same following in the States so distribution is limited or cancelled for the US market. Business is business. :cry:

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:17 am

Jason wrote:
geosouv wrote:I finished Call Of Duty: United Offensive a few days ago and finished writing it's review today. A great game indeed, very impressive and better than COD 1. What do you think of United Offensive?
I have to disagree on that, I thought COD:UO was pretty bland. I didn't think either COD:UO or COD2 were as good as the original COD game. It just felt like more of the same thing, they didn't add to the game at all. The first level of COD:UO is good but apart from that I don't remember anything great about it. What did you think was impressive about it over the original game?
Gee George, I wish you had made this a separate COD topic since this will now become lost in an Adventure/COD thread ... this could turn out to be another Blade Dancer/Culture thread. You might consider a new topic on solely COD as I'm sure you will get a lot more input.

Having said that, it's been awhile but I can't recall much from COD:UO. The early Battle of the Bulge action was intense but gameplay was still pretty much the same for me. Though short-lived, being a gunner in a Brit Flying Fort was I think something new for the series but the rest was pretty much the same.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:50 am

Duke0196 wrote:You might consider a new topic on solely COD as I'm sure you will get a lot more input.
Well there is an old topic here I created: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1117

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Duke,

Check out this link. It says Amerzone is not compatible with windows vista 32-bit. I searched for Amerzone and windows 7 compatibility and found this information from facebook. I don't know what they mean but maybe you should visit Microids website or try asking them by sending them an e-mail. I think you really should e-mail them as you will have trouble finding an answer on the web. Did you buy the game new or used? If it's used they may not answer you.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:30 am

Jason wrote:
Duke0196 wrote:You might consider a new topic on solely COD as I'm sure you will get a lot more input.
Well there is an old topic here I created: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1117
Ta mate ... thup01