WW2 in the Pacific shooters

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Duke0196
Captain

WW2 in the Pacific shooters

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:37 pm

Know of any Pacific-themed WW2 single-player shooters?  Or WW2 shooters with Pacific-themed missions (like Operation Stranger in H&D2)?

I can think of these.

Elite Forces: WWII Iwo Jima, 2001
Deadly Dozen: Pacific Theater, 2002
Hidden & Dangerous 2, 2003
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, 2004
The History Channel: Battle for the Pacific, 2007
Call of Duty: World at War (aka COD5), 2008

I know most Pacific-themed WW2 shooters are beach landings, jungles, caves, or bunkers; but I have an interest in them as it affected us more out here and I've lived in some of the places were the battles took place.

I have the first four on my list and have asked Jason for his views on last two as he has previously posted comments on them.  If anyone has played them I'd be interested in their viewpoints too.

Finally, I came across "Battlefield 1943" (2009) which lets you serve as a US or Japanese Marine; but did not add it to my list since it is Online multiplayer only and I'm looking for single-player games.

Thanks.

Jason
Administrator

Re: WW2 in the Pacific shooters

Unread post by Jason » Sat May 28, 2011 5:38 pm

I'd definitely get both The History Channel: Battle for the Pacific and Call of Duty: World at War if you can get them cheap. Most WW2 games are worth playing even just once :mrgreen:
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback. thup01

Well, THC: Battle for the Pac definitely falls in the "cheap" range.  An Amazon.com seller in Canada wants $0.99 USD for THC:BFTP but it'll be another $3.99 for shipping.

Actually, I can get them both from Amazon.com for $27.98 USD ($2.99 for THC:BFTP & $24.99 for CoD:WaW) and they'd qualify for free shipping.  That isn't bad since $30-$40 seems to be the going price for CoD:WAW once you throw in the shipping.

Yeah, I guess you are right.  Most WW2 games are worth taking a look at; especially those that are pretty unique.  Elite Forces: Desert Rats was pretty unique as "drove" your jeep as you fired your Vickers MGs in a salute to the LRDG.

I really wish, as probably most of us, that H&D2 was so much easier to be modded.  I'm not much into modern shooters but was hooked for a while on Ghost Recon.  I even did some basic modding but there were some guys who did a total WW2 conversion.  Europe, Pacific, Eastern Front, the works.  Now that was awesome.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Found another Pac shooter ... WWII Combat Iwo Jima (2006) from Atari.

Never saw more than a 2-star rating for it, most are 1 or 1.5-stars yet its still selling for $40+ on some sites.  http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/wwiicombatiwojima/

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:51 pm

Not exactly a shooter, more of an RTS but Sudden Strike 2 has some Pacific missions. So does Men of War Assualt Squad, it actually has some really nice looking landscapes.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Ta for the info. Its been a while since I've done any RTS. I was into the DOS-based Steel Panthers (SP) series in the late 90s.

If you aren't familiar with the SP series ...
SP1 - WW2 warfare with tactics based on individual units
SP2 - Modern warfare - individual
SP3 - Modern - squad-based

There was a community effort to make a Windows-based game using SP3's squad-based engine but in a WW2 environment. It was released for free by Matrix Games in the early 2000 or so as Steel Panthers: World at War.

The game is still available for free here.
http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/sp_waw.htm

It is only if you want to get into the Generals Editions and/or Mega Campaigns etc that you would need to purchase anything. thup01