Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Jason
Administrator

Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops

Unread post by Jason » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:25 am

I've come across another non-WW2 game that could be of interest to some people. It's an upcoming game called Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops. You can play as two characters, one action, one stealth. The gameplay videos on the website look pretty good, especially the stealth aspects. The action looks pretty standard. It's not a big budget title it's a singleplayer only game. The game is due out on the 16th of April this year (2011). There is no demo at this stage and I asked about it on the game forums. To my surprise the CEO of the game's developer (Black Lion Studios) took the time to reply and revealed (after I mentioned it) that he was a fan of H&D :wink: You can read our discussion here.

The game is on pre-order at Steam for only $35. I was going to wait for the demo myself as I normally do but after chatting with the CEO and gaining some insight into their thinking behind the game I might just go ahead and buy it when it comes out. I'll let you know what it's like whenever I do thup01
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Jason
Administrator

Re: Phantom Ops: Shadow Harvest

Unread post by Jason » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:08 am

I'm definitely enjoying the game so far :D. The core gameplay is excellent. The cover system has taken some time to get use to but I like it. At first I was snapping to everything but after a bit of combat with Aron you get use to it. The health packs are great, an indication of extremely low health would have been good though. This game reminds me of more traditional gameplay seen around 1998-2002. You really need to use tactics, no run and gun stuff here.

Myra is a good stealth character but she also takes some time getting use to. It kind of goes a little against logic to peer around the corners and over the top of boxes and still not be seen so I avoided doing that at first. I really like the right-click action of the attactor bow that allows you to see where the guard can hear it, a nice addition indeed. At first I was disappointed that you couldn't move bodies but you can drag the guard around when you have him in a headlock and of course the nanites do the hiding.

I had trouble in Chapter 2 with Myra, it took me at least 5 goes to get past the first part before I realised something. The guard moves his head to the left and to the right. When he does this you have more time to get to the next box. I reached the the next objective a few times but the guard must have seen me and followed me and I was found while the next cutscene played. A hint about keeping an eye out for the guards field of vision would have been nice but I should have known that any way, I've played a lot of stealth games.

The tab between the players is cool, I like that feature and it works well. The dual action event was a unique way to use both players.

The AI aren't stupid, they aren't the smartest in all of game land either but they provide a good challenge. Running around, finding cover, all the usual stuff.

The voice acting is not as bad as people say. Some of the lines by Mark Rossmann (Aron) could have been delivered better. The voice actors of Victor Spencer (Tom Zahner) and Gabriel Lawson (Peter Gilbert Cotton) do a great job. All others are good too.

This game is a really good PC Game and I suggest you check it out. Hopefully there will be a demo soon.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:11 pm

This game is on $10 special over at Steam, go get it thup01

Well worth it, FUCK metacritic and Steam forum users fingers01, trust me! ;)

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:44 pm

4 hours to go, who wants a free copy? grin01

I'll only buy one copy, who wants it? anyone? time is ticking. It's a STEAM game.
Last edited by Jason on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Looks like Vit wins via PM

Jason
Administrator

Re: Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops

Unread post by Jason » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:46 am

Steam has Shadow Harvest with %80 off ($USD 3.99) during the Christmas sale, get a copy! it has a great story and it's a fun game to play despite what the haters say! thup01

Or you can ask me nicely for a copy grin01