Arma 2

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Zunami
Corporal

Arma 2

Unread post by Zunami » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Arma 2 is, according to my friend, the most realistic military simulation EVER.

As far as I understand, the developers aimed to make a military simulator and not a game per say which is why the game is sort of unknown to a lot of people.

It's a demanding game and very difficult. I'm usually good at picking up on new games, but I sat down trying to figure this one out on my friends PC while he was out. Of course, I didn't know his key config, but the entire feel of the game was so different, it took me 15 minutes just to learn how to control my character properly.

It's an FPS shooter. but seeing as it aims to be realistic, the way the character moves is very unusual. Instead of the ordinary moving hand with a gun you see a pair of arms and shoulders that are constantly moving. Also, simply navigating in the game is a demanding task. All you get is a map and an actual compas, and then your starting position is marked out. you have to navigate in accordance to terrain.

All in all, it's a very realistic fps game set in an open world which is huge to say the least. Much like operation flashpoint.

Also, the game allows some facial recognition software to be used with it so you can control the direction you look in in the game by turning your head irl. 

Trailers for the game will be somewhat disappointing as the game is all about patience and a trailer really isn't.
- ST

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Re: Arma 2

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:45 am

This is Operation Flashpoint 3. :mrgreen:
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Tajin
Private

Unread post by Tajin » Wed May 11, 2011 8:56 am

:) Just a word of advice.:
While ArmA2 by itself is already awesome and highly realistic, I recommend you try it with the A.C.E mod. It adds alot more possibilities and features to it, including for example a pretty realistic health system.

I'll just randomly name a few features:
- Sprint for too long and you might stumble.
- Beeing supressed by enemy fire increases your stress and is bad for your aim.
- Wounded soldiers leave bloodtrails and can loose conciousness/bleed to death if not bandaged.
- Sight adjustments are possible.
- Sniping at long distances is a real challenge, as the ballistics are even affected by wind and some other factors.
- You can drag/carry you comrades out of the line of fire, if its too risky to heal them at the spot.
- You can temporarily get numb by loud gunfire/explosions nearby (unless you wear earplugs)
- Even complex equipment, like the M4 SLAM is available and fully functional.
- ... and so on...

wink01

So ... yeah... ArmA 1&2 are great.
ArmA 1&2 with A.C.E are unbelievable.  thup01

Berry_Racer
Lieutenant

Unread post by Berry_Racer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:35 am

Hello everyone,
Well i play arma 2 with i44 mod.  For those who are looking for a game with h&d3 feel, i really recommend trying this mod with this game.  It's nearly everything i would of hoped for in h&d3.  Combined with the mission editor it gives so many choices.

From one h&d2 fan to another, i recommend this friends!

Last edited by Berry_Racer on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Berry_Racer
Lieutenant

Unread post by Berry_Racer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:11 am

For those who have not got arma 2, I really recommend it as a h&d2 replacement.  You can make any kind of mission you want in the editor including creating cutscenes, any type of pvp etc. 

You can also create the mission briefings like in h&D, for example here is blade dancer i'm working to convert into arma 2.
http://youtu.be/TaVsmltdWV0

Another example of a cutscene i made back in ofp, is this remake i did of the H&D2 mission operation stranger.  Heres a quick video to show the cutscene

as it compares to the orginal burma campaign intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwIh0XPaHM

Btw there is now a free to play version of arma 2 (does not support mods though so no I44 mod).
http://www.arma2.com/free

Does anyone have any ideas on some good missions that might convert well from H&D2 or deluxe?

Or even real sas operations from Europe that would make good missions?

Feel free to share some ideas.
Last edited by Berry_Racer on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:45 am

Have you converted any full missions yet?
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Zunami
Corporal

Unread post by Zunami » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:48 am

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote:This is Operation Flashpoint 3. :mrgreen:
Some would say that :) It isn't really though. The companies split, and one of them kept the Arma name for their games and the other one got the Operation Flashpoint for theirs. Operation Flashpoint 2 and 3 would be Dragon Rising and Red River.

Arma 2 is just Arma 2. As I understand the only thing they have in common is that Arma 1 and operation flashpoint 1 is actually the same game.

Both great games!

Those mods look awesome. I already use A.C.E mod, but I don't have the game myself yet, I only played it on a friends PC during the summer holiday. Very entertaining.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Zunami wrote:Some would say that
That some would be the correct some.
Zunami wrote:It isn't really though.
Sure it is.
Zunami wrote:The companies split, and one of them kept the Arma name for their games and the other one got the Operation Flashpoint for theirs. Operation Flashpoint 2 and 3 would be Dragon Rising and Red River.
That is not correct, the developer removed themselves from the publisher.

The publisher owned the rights to the name and would not give it up. The publisher just continued making games and naming them after OFP, so that they could cash in on OFP's success.

The developer continued the series as intended without the original publisher and had to use a different name to avoid a lawsuit.
Zunami wrote:Arma 2 is just Arma 2.
This is removed from current logic.
Zunami wrote:As I understand the only thing they have in common is that Arma 1 and operation flashpoint 1 is actually the same game.
In what actuality, are they, the same game?

Zunami
Corporal

Unread post by Zunami » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Sounds like this is a bit personal for you, so I think you should probably avoid discussing this subject with people who don't give a flying fuck about who screwed over who, as long as good games are published.

I'll just be over here, enjoying both games, and viewing the case rationally, objectively and casually while you rage :)

But just to answer the question you asked:

The first game in both series would be Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis aka Arma: Cold War Assault.
Or so I've been told.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:08 am

Zunami wrote:Sounds like this is a bit personal for you
The only thing that gets personal for me is seeing misinformation.
Zunami wrote:so I think you should probably avoid discussing this subject with people who don't give a flying fuck about who screwed over who
More advice from a pubescent European? Where in Denmark are you from? Or did you emigrate from somewhere else?
Zunami wrote:viewing the case rationally, objectively and casually while you rage
Your understanding of the situation is definitely not rational or objective, especially if you think I am in a rage.
Zunami wrote:The first game in both series would be Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis aka Arma: Cold War Assault.
Or so I've been told.
Told by whom? Your 15 year old brother? Even if this was true, how would that make them the same game?

Zunami
Corporal

Unread post by Zunami » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:10 am

Oh wow, you must really hate young people :/ I can come up with various theories as to why, but I think I'll keep them to myself, as they might seem quite offensive, and I guess I'll never know for sure, which one is closer to the truth! :P

You assume a lot about people, and you're generally quite offensive and negative, so that's why I assume you're raging. It's generally what that particular word, when using it as internet lingo, means.

Why do you even care where I live? :S It's kind of a weird and creepy question.
But I was born and raised in the center/East regions of Jutland if that means something to you, and both of my parents are immigrants, though my mother is inherently Danish, at least partially, but her family has been German for two generations, and parts of the Danish minority in northern Germany.
Oh, and my brother is 3 years old.

No, a friend of mine told me, he's roughly my age, a bit older, and he plays ArmA 2. He generally prefers that over Operation Flashpoint: DR&RR, and seems to share some of your opinions, albeit he is more objective when sorting through facts and stating them to people. That's right I'll take a another pubescent person's advice over yours, because he manages to sound/seem more rational and objective that you do :p

Here's some more advice from a pubescent young person!
Try to back you claims up with facts instead of just stating that the other person is wrong.
Try not to use wikipedia as your only source.
Try to get less personal, it's creepy and considered harassment most places.
Try to rage less.
Keep the nationalism and foreign hate concealed in your posts to a minimum. It's also considered harassment. Not intended? Doesn't matter! It's what people read in your messages that's important.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:30 am

Zunami wrote:You assume a lot about people
Oh? What have I assumed?
Zunami wrote:you're generally quite offensive and negative

How am I generally quite offensive? If you mean you generally interpret things as quite offensive, that is on you. It does not make me offensive. You might see me calling you out for being pretentious with your advice as offensive, but I think that is just a symptom of it being true.
Zunami wrote:Why do you even care where I live?
I ask because I make quite a few friends on the internet that are Danes, they usually have a good head on their shoulders. Your "profile," says you are in Danmark. Was curious as to what your story is.
Zunami wrote:manages to sound/seem more rational and objective
Do you know what these words mean?
Zunami wrote:Try to back you claims up with facts
I think I have to you.
Zunami wrote:Try to get less personal, it's creepy and considered harassment
Not where I am from.
Zunami wrote:Try to rage less.
Aren't you raging?
Zunami wrote:Keep the nationalism and foreign hate concealed in your posts to a minimum. It's also considered harassment.
Nationalism? Foreign hate? Concealed in my posts? ...lmfao... You are a riot. There are a few words for people that think the way you do.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm consuded... when has 20 been pubescent?

Please don't say pubescent european either, I don't want to be blacklisted fingers01

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 am

Jason wrote:when has 20 been pubescent?
Well it might not be the norm, but it really is on a case by case basis, who is or who isn't, age is not definitive.
Jason wrote:Please don't say pubescent european either, I don't want to be blacklisted
Well, do you really think that could happen? :mrgreen: