SWAT 4

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Zunami
Corporal

SWAT 4

Unread post by Zunami » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:42 pm

Swat 4 is a game somewhat similar to HD2. While it features SWAT operations and not military operations, it is quite the change of scenery and tactics. Like in HD2 you control a team of armed good guys. In SWAT you are the leader of 4 men whom you can order around using a command system similar to that of HD2, only better. Unlike in HD2 you cannot take direct control of your other men.

In the beginning of each mission you choose what equipment you will be using and have to listen to the mission Intel in order to bring the optimal equipment. This game is not about shooting Germans or sabotaging though, it's about rescuing civilians, some of which does not want to be rescued and must be pepper sprayed to see it your way :P
It is also about arresting bad guys.

Usually you can choose to enter the level through several different entrance points. When you encounter an enemy you can yell at him to drop his weapon, sometimes they comply, sometimes they try to kill you. Not giving propper warning drops your score. Killing bad guys instead of arresting them also does. You have to cuff you suspects and report them in and so on, also weapons and evidence must be confiscated immediately. Further more, you always have a sniper or two standing by to drop tangos.

The only thing the game misses is the ability to call for backup, you always alone in there, with your team, and thus you feel a little disconnected on your missions.

All in all, it's a very realistic take on police operations. SWAT I guess... It's old though, but on the bright side, that makes it cheaper.

The variety of equipment you can choose from is very nice. You can take with you several grenades for tactical deployment (all non-lethal), an electronic version of the  "mirror on a stick", several breaching tools including a shotgun with steel arrows. Several firearms, tasers, pepperspray, door wedges to keep doors locked and theres even a high-power paintball gun which fires bullets loaded with pepperspray. You can even swap your ammunition if you know your going up against armored tangos.

It's very nice, give it a look!
- ST

Jason
Administrator

Re: SWAT 4

Unread post by Jason » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44 am

Playing SWAT 4 coop is fun. It's just a classic tactical game that forces you to think and be careful rather than go in with all guns blazing. It definitely needs another in the series but that is unlikely to happen now that the developers (Irrational Games) are with 2k Games and Activision own the rights to that series.

I also found this :( http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2009/0 ... n-2006.htm
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Zunami
Corporal

Unread post by Zunami » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 am

While it might be unlikely to get a SWAT 5 (that isn't a Call of Duty clone), there is actually an expansion pack.
The expansion pack features expanded multiplayer possibilities, making the game quite more interesting and much more realistic.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Much more realistic in what way?

Zunami
Corporal

Unread post by Zunami » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:40 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote:Much more realistic in what way?
In the team setups, you can now more properly rely on backup and attack in larger forces. Some of the scenario's in the game are bit pressed for just 5 men in a team, and with the expansion, you can send in up to 20 men as far as I remember (only in MP though).

Also, you get various choices regarding gear and armor that you didn't have in the standard game.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:12 am

Zunami wrote:In the team setups, you can now more properly rely on backup and attack in larger forces. Some of the scenario's in the game are bit pressed for just 5 men in a team, and with the expansion, you can send in up to 20 men as far as I remember (only in MP though).

Also, you get various choices regarding gear and armor that you didn't have in the standard game.
Which all actually makes the expansion less realistic.

Zunami
Corporal

Unread post by Zunami » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:25 am

Not sure I follow :) An explanation would be required.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:41 am

I own the game, but I have not played it. So I can't comment on the missions' realism, but the weapons added in the expansion, some of them at least, are only there because they were in a few popular movies. I think the max is 10 men in multiplayer, but 20 would be too much.