Battle for the Pacific

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Jason
Administrator

Battle for the Pacific

Unread post by Jason » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:11 am

Just finished Battle for the Pacific, its a multi-platform game but I played the PC version. Bought it ages ago but didn't think much of it at the time, after playing the worst WW2 game ever, Hour of Victory, Battle for the Pacific is great.

Battle for the Pacific takes you the player to World War 2 in the Pacific (surprise!). You fight along side a team of 3 or 4 soliders, almost always with the sergeant of the group. Compared to most games Battle for the Pacific is just good, maybe just okay. The graphics are very nice and have a style of their own, everything matches and is of the same quality. Not the best in the world but they are good to look at. The voice acting and script is annoying. The missions are Call of Duty style in that you run, gun and put explosives on things that flash red. Pretty boring and nothing new. Level design is bland, most levels are of the same two flavours, jungle or bunker. There are a few levels at the end of the game where you go through caves and run up a mountain but nothing new or exciting. The AI is a mixed bag, sometimes your team are good and are able to shoot the enemy, other times they just stand there with the enemy 2 feet away. The enemy AI is pretty shit all round, they shoot, charge at you and sometimes just stand there. They don't try to flank or anything.

Best thing about the game is the graphics and the weapons. They have a cool BAR but an even better Bren gun that can be fired fro the crouch position, check it out ;)

[img width=755 height=600]http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.net/junk/bftp_bren.jpg[/img]
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Duke0196
Captain

Re: Battle for the Pacific

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:29 pm

Just how "bad" was Battle for the Pacific?

I know the reviews were not kind to it but I have a weakness for WW2 Pacific-themed games.  I can get it pretty cheap at Amazon and can even get free shipping considering there are a couple books I'm interested in.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat May 28, 2011 5:25 pm

It was a worth playing game. I will be playing it again sometime soon. Don't expect the best game ever but it was worth playing, took a couple of missions to get into. I think the weapons were the best part... been a while though. If you can get it for cheap, like $5-$10 then you might as well.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:33 pm

I know I mentioned this in my Pacific Shooter thread but its as cheap as $0.99 USD and $3.99 for shipping from a mob in Canada.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:37 pm

Well, Battle for the Pacific came in.  Your review was spot on.  My take? Well, I got my $2.99 worth.
Jason wrote: Best thing about the game is the graphics and the weapons. They have a cool BAR but an even better Bren gun that can be fired fro the crouch position, check it out ;)
The graphics were nice and that is what made me fail a few times.  I really wanted to check out the environment but lagged behind too long and boom ... Fail.  Its a shame the artists obviously put so much work into the environment but the game play style of "follow the leader" doesn't give you the opportunity to check out the surroundings.  I guess they want you "focused" on the mission rather than getting in touch with Mother Nature.

Anyway,  I did find the Type 96 LMG.  Nice.  I read someplace the game also includes the Type 44 Cavalry Carbine but only came across the Type 38 Rifle.  Again, the big problem is being able to look around.  I did, however,  find a US trench gun laying on the beach at Okinawa.

Say, speaking of weapons ... did you also have sound problems with the M1 Garand?  More often than not, it would not give me the audible "ping" after firing my last round.
Jason wrote: The voice acting and script is annoying.
Boy, you got that right.
Jason wrote: Level design is bland, most levels are of the same two flavours, jungle or bunker.
Par for the course for Pacific battles ... jungles, bunkers, caves, beach landings, etc.

Now that I've played through and have an idea as to what to expect ... I'll probably fire it up again keeping a eye out for stuff.  Thanks again for the recommendation.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:47 am

Duke0196 wrote: Say, speaking of weapons ... did you also have sound problems with the M1 Garand?  More often than not, it would not give me the audible "ping" after firing my last round.
Not that I can remember, I wouldn't mind playing through the game again so I might load it up soon and have a look. Perhaps go through some youtube videos to see if others have the same issue?

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Jason wrote:
Duke0196 wrote: Say, speaking of weapons ... did you also have sound problems with the M1 Garand?  More often than not, it would not give me the audible "ping" after firing my last round.
Not that I can remember, I wouldn't mind playing through the game again so I might load it up soon and have a look. Perhaps go through some youtube videos to see if others have the same issue?
Ta for recommending Youtube.  I spotted the problem in the first video I saw.