Connection issues

This is for all Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe talk including mission strategies, setting up multiplayer games and technical support.
Godbee
Private

Connection issues

Unread post by Godbee » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:36 pm

Hello all! This is just the site Ive been looking for!

I have H&D Deluxe and am trying to get it online to play with friends. Whenever I try to host a game, no one can seem to find the game. They just sit at the H&D join screen searching.

I am behind a router. So I disconnected the router entirely and went straight to the comp to see if the router was the problem. Turns out, it must not have been, because my game could still not be found.

Now, the people trying to connect to me were behind a router, but had their firewalls disabled. Does H&D Deluxe support gamer with routers? Are there certain ports that must be open in order to Host/Join a game?

With the correct ports open, is it possible for a computer behind a router to be able to connect to a computer with a standard cable connection ( no router, firewall disabled) ? I frequent another forum, and this is an issue there as well.

Sorry for all the questions. After 7 years, the original H&D is still on my harddrive and played daily. Now that I have Deluxe, and most of the bugs were fixed, Im trying to enjoy this cooperatively with friends. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Godbee
Xfire = 22Joe

Oldih
Global Moderator

Re: Connection issues

Unread post by Oldih » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:39 am

I believe the issue is more related the MP system which H&DD has.

Go to multiplayer -> options, and there is option called "IP Address".

You (or they, presuming we are talking about your friends) must input your IP address to there before they join.

If the IP is correctly set when they press "join"- button, it should take less than five seconds to them to find the game.
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

Godbee
Private

Unread post by Godbee » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:44 pm

Yes, IP address is correct. Still a no go.
Xfire = 22Joe

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:25 am

To be honest, I am out of ideas at the moment. I haven´t had any problems with H&DD´s multiplayer so far and usually the problems were because the typoed IP address.

I would recommend trying (even though it is risky) to disable your own firewall and try then.

But before that, what firewall do you use?
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

Godbee
Private

Unread post by Godbee » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:50 pm

The system I game on is for gaming only. No firewall at all. Dont use it to surf the net, email, etc. Just gaming. I however, believe the router is to blame. I have never got a game right out the box to work multiplayer without opening up ports and the such. Problem is, after a month of searching and asking questions, no one knows how to make HD work with a router. No one knows what ports need to be open. The only game I have ever had work without router issues was Call of Duty ad COD2.

My system specs are as follows... 1 Ghz P3, Win98SE, 1 Gig RAM, G400
Router is a Linksys

Also, Im not the only one with these issues, there are some fellas at SimHQ with the same problem, and also a couple of post regarding this in this very forum, from previous dates.

If anyone has some spare time to do some testing, please private message me. Its real hard to find people who play this cooperatively anymore.
Xfire = 22Joe

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:08 pm

My unit still plays, actually just yesterday we were playing through campain 2...
To make it work with a router just DMZ your gaming pc...
This makes tremendous sence to me...
By DMZing you are forwarding ALL ports to that pc...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Godbee
Private

Unread post by Godbee » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:11 pm

VitamihnM203,

Have time for a test run? I just want to see if I can get it to work. My Xfire is godbee, and ICQ is 325082220

Thanks!
Xfire = 22Joe

Bighouse
Sergeant

Unread post by Bighouse » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 pm

You must make sure, that these ports are open in all the players firewalls (harware or software)

I hope this helped.

Bighouse
Sergeant

Unread post by Bighouse » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:02 pm

And also a software called GIT (Gamer's Internet Tunnel) is a helpfull tool. That's how I've managed to play H&D Deluxe.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:03 am

Bighouse, helpfull post but next time try editing your previous post instead of posting back to back...

Godbee, I did not see your post till now; sad since it was just shy of three minutes later...
I dont use Xfire and I dont run ICQ anymore...
Do you use anything else?
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted: