C3M4 Escape in Armored Car

This is for all Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe talk including mission strategies, setting up multiplayer games and technical support.
pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:33 pm

I've killed everybody in sight, I think and have driven the armored car with my 4 soldiers toward the wooden bridge, only to be blown away countless times by the tank sitting on the other side of the canal/creek/river. The walkthrough said I should just drive by the tank because it won't shoot at me. I would be most grateful for advice on how to complete this mission. Thanks
pukey
pukey123

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:44 am

The walkthrough says just drive past the tank? Stupid walkthrough. I guess the tank crew were drunk when the guy who wrote that played the mission. You need to get out of the armoured car and blow the tank up before you can proceed. You don't need a bazooka to do this, it's possible to get quite close to the tank and blow it up with a grenade (only takes one grenade as far as I remember, though it has to land near to the tank). If you do have a bazooka, have a care - if you don't have much ammo for it, it's best to save the bazooka rockets for the next level, since you'll need them more then. Next level's tough by the way, I got stuck on it for a long time when I went through H&D 1 the first time ages ago.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:25 am

Thanks for the message Comrade. For the last hour or so I've tried to get close to the tank, without any success. The closest I came was when going left from the armored vehicle on the road, I get to the river and start crawling along the bank. I got pretty close a couple times but my German grenades kept falling short; after which I was blown away. I also watch for the tank cannon to see when it will swivel toward me, giving away my position. So far no luck. Also tried frontal assault, sneaking up from the right, etc., but no luck. Will keep trying - and if you have anything that would help I would appreciate hearing from you. All the best.
pukey
pukey123

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:26 am

You were right about the walkthrough - the writer had to be drunk or he was a German SS Spy!!
pukey
pukey123

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:17 am

Did you try with british grenades? They bounce so they go a bit further. If you have a bazooka, just use that on it - you'll still be able to do the next mission without a bazooka (you can pick up panzerfausts), but it'll be a bit harder that way.

I loaded up the mission, and I realised the tank's a lot further away from the hut building in front of the bridge than I thought, and there's a lot less cover than I thought as well. I do have a plan that might work, though. Go to the hut in front of the bridge, and go prone. Crawl around the right side of the building. Ahead you should see a line of tank traps marking the river's edge, beyond which is the tank on the other side. From the edge of the building, you might be able to crawl to the line of tank traps at the river's edge, using the tank traps to obscure the tank's view of you. While prone at a tank trap it's possible to reach the tank with a British grenade, it bounces and lands very close to it, but it's not possible with the German grenade which explodes too short.

Another trick that might be useful; in H&D 1 there's an AI flaw with the tank's firing system. It actually fires its main gun as soon as it detects you, and before it aims at the thing it detects. This means its first shot will just go off in whatever direction it happens to be looking at, so the first shot often misses. You can use this to your advantage. If the crawling plan doesn't work, peek out the left side of the hut to get the tank's attention. Then when you run out of the right side, it'll fire at the left side before it turns to aim at you. You might then have enough time to run to the tank traps, hide behind one and lob a grenade at it while it reloads. Good luck...
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Player1
Private

Re: C3M4 Escape in Armored Car

Unread post by Player1 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:01 pm

Same mission, different problem: I've killed everyone in sight and even destroyed the tank by walking near it and using one of the panzerfausts I've found in the camp.

But I don't know how to get the damn halftrack out of the camp - I simply don't know how to open the gate (which seems to be the right way of getting out...). I'm probably just being stupid, but I need help anyway.

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:10 pm

Just stay in the middle of the gate and press "u" and it should open

jjdog
Private

Unread post by jjdog » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:00 pm

I did spend almost 2hours trying to blow this sht tank and i got it.
Go to the left side,and walk by the river, save the game each time you advance untili get in the limit of being blow away,
than just trow the green granade and the tank you explode...!!! :)