Another Windows Vista/7/8/10 Multiplayer Fix

This is for all Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe talk including mission strategies, setting up multiplayer games and technical support.
Bytorr
Private

Another Windows Vista/7/8/10 Multiplayer Fix

Unread post by Bytorr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Hello everyone,

My friends and I meet up on the weekend to play Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe. It's going pretty well and we're having a great time, but we were tired of having to keep an XP machine around to host a server. TechGremlin posted a fix here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2645 that works, but I wanted to try to fix the game directly. I reached out to Michal Bacik, lead developer of H&DD, and he gave me the source code to the networking DLL. I disabled all of the calls to DirectPlayVoice, rebuilt the DLL, replaced the old one, and it works!

Whoever is hosting the game needs download the fixed DLL, which I have put here:
https://github.com/WJLiddy/HDDMultiplayerPatch/
Then, navigate to the H&DD bin folder (something like Program Files (x86)\Take2\Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe\bin), delete the inet2.dll that is in the folder, and put the new one you downloaded in its place. Run the game and you should be able to host a server. thup01

EDIT 4/18/2017: Updated the link to use a github repo instead of google drive.
Last edited by Bytorr on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

NilsZ
Major

Re: Another Windows Vista/7/8/10 Multiplayer Fix

Unread post by NilsZ » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:46 pm

Thank you very much!
Thats a comfortable solution. Also i am fascinated that you reached out Michal Bacik and that he still got the old files. (I wonder what he could make cool mods and patches <3 )

Btw. if someone wants to play HDD online again, please contact me :)

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon May 02, 2016 6:28 pm

NilsZ wrote:Also i am fascinated that you reached out Michal Bacik and that he still got the old files.
Yeah, I am skeptical at this. The poster only has the one post... could be an attempt at hacking.

Hey, Jason, want to test this out? :mrgreen:
NilsZ wrote:Btw. if someone wants to play HDD online again, please contact me :)
I'm kinda interested.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Mon May 02, 2016 8:15 pm

Cool, nice to hear that there is also someone else out there thup01

Which messenger do you prefer? Also i live in Germany, so my time zone is GMT+1. I am online in the evenings.

The patch is working for me and i don't feel hacked yet :mrgreen:
Mr. Bacik has also Facebook, but he didn't respond to me :(
I think he doesn't like fans.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue May 10, 2016 6:15 pm

I use Yahoo Mess now, as MSN/WL is defunct.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Bytorr
Private

Unread post by Bytorr » Sat May 21, 2016 6:40 pm

I can absolutely understand being skeptical of downloading a random DLL from the internet. But really, If I wanted to hack someone or distribute a virus, doing it via releasing a networking patch for an obscure 1999 shooter game seems to be a really ineffective way of doing it. I'm just a fan who never gets tired of loading up Sir Wooley with a Browning and 500 rounds and saving Britain over and over again with my lads :grin:

If you still don't want to take my word for it, Michal can be reached at info@lonelycatgames.com. He can confirm that I worked with him and that this DLL is safe.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:29 am

Bytorr wrote: I'm just a fan who never gets tired of loading up Sir Wooley with a Browning and 500 rounds and saving Britain over and over again with my lads :grin:
There is a Polish guy named Jiri the Butcher who has equal strength and endurance, and 5% better shooting.

P.S. It WORKS!!! YEEAHH!!!

TechGremlin
Private

Unread post by TechGremlin » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:15 pm

I'm a bit late to the party, but I can confirm this works, this method should probably be stickied instead, it's much simpler to get working than the other method for new players.

nyanko
Private

Unread post by nyanko » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Looks like it doesn´t work on windows 10 after creators update, any solutions? :/

Edit. Hosting and joining, both gives failed message...

TechGremlin
Private

Unread post by TechGremlin » Sun May 14, 2017 10:08 am

Sorry for the late reply nyanko,
I did some testing and at least when it comes with the GOG version there's no errors here with the creator's update and the attached inet2.dll above, have you made sure that the DirectPlay feature is enabled still? I believe there was a bug at some point that may have reset the installed features during the upgrade process.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:36 am

Is there any way to pin this subforum so that it's at the top of the forum?