H&D Deluxe, the ultimate mod: Feedback

Discuss your upcoming modding & editing projects here or shout out some ideas.
NilsZ
Major

H&D Deluxe, the ultimate mod: Feedback

Unread post by NilsZ » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:51 am

So I started yesterday with the ultimade mod.

I want to share my feedback for each mission.

first mission danube1:
The mission is very difficult compared to the original. A lot of hidden snipers forced me to load my savegame many times. Unluckily I had nothing to destroy the tank at the end, so i had to restart the mission.
There is one bug, some snipers could see more than the view distance. They were shooting at me while i couldn't see them. Also the sky silhouette is visible. Btw. did you turn the visible shots on again?

second mission danube2:
This mission was very easy. I grabbed a uniform and ran straight to the boat and drove away. The enemies fired at my boat but they were not able to destroy it, a bug?
I saw that the uniforms are replaced with german uniforms, what is the reason for this? Silenced weapons are not chooseable for this campaign.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Re: H&D Deluxe, the ultimate mod: Feedback

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:02 am

NilsZ wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:51 am
So I started yesterday with the ultimade mod.

I want to share my feedback for each mission.

first mission danube1:
The mission is very difficult compared to the original. A lot of hidden snipers forced me to load my savegame many times. Unluckily I had nothing to destroy the tank at the end, so i had to restart the mission.
There is one bug, some snipers could see more than the view distance. They were shooting at me while i couldn't see them. Also the sky silhouette is visible. Btw. did you turn the visible shots on again?

second mission danube2:
This mission was very easy. I grabbed a uniform and ran straight to the boat and drove away. The enemies fired at my boat but they were not able to destroy it, a bug?
I saw that the uniforms are replaced with german uniforms, what is the reason for this? Silenced weapons are not chooseable for this campaign.
Thanks for the feedback! This might sound stupid for you, but please read carefully the mod readme and mod description on ModDB. It is important. I just don't want to repeat myself over and over.

One final note before you post more feedback about my H&D Deluxe Ultimate Mod:

-> keep in mind, that this mod was made with cooperation with Myron. It is a mix of my and his ideas and our gameplay preferences. I cannot promise, that i will update my modified missions according to your point of view. However, when you find noticeable bugs i will be more than happy to correct them if possible. My mod is also not compatible with the H&D Extended mod. My mod wasn't make to be compatible with other people mods, unless stated otherwise. I just wanted to make this clear to avoid misunderstandings.

Danube 1 - the vehicle at the end is not a tank, but Italian armored car (AB 41) imported from Medal of Honor: Breakthrough. It could be destroyed using i.e. Boys anti-tank rifle. I set the snipers view distance higher to equal the chances, i still killed them on hard difficulty before they even spotted me. I added sky just like your did in your mod. I also turned on the visible shots again.

Danube 2 - I increased the boat resistance to damage as far as i remember. I swapped civilian uniforms with German uniforms, because as the video instructor mentioned there is a curfew in the town. I assume, that all civilians will be checked for documents or shoot on sight. Few guys in German uniforms heading to the island's bar look less suspicious in my opinion. Silenced weapons are available later in the campaigns for historical reasons (Sten MK. IIS and De Lisle were not available for Commonwealth troops at the time of Yugoslav campaign in H&D Deluxe). I know, that H&D Deluxe is not a simulator like ARMA, but still.
"Who Dares Wins" - SAS motto.

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Today I tried the third mission of danube. It is made really nice and its again a lot harder than the original. I guess that you didn't use the new error factors for the weapons ;)
you should do that because otherwise every weapon is super precious. That makes the game extreme hard.
There are also two bugs: The new tank no.4 model doesn't protect you against normal shots, the two halftrackcars killed me :(
Second bug is that the gate couldn't be destroyed by the tank. I fired 9 shots on it but that didn't break the gate.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:36 pm

NilsZ wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:10 pm

There are also two bugs: The new tank no.4 model doesn't protect you against normal shots, the two halftrackcars killed me :(
Second bug is that the gate couldn't be destroyed by the tank. I fired 9 shots on it but that didn't break the gate.
About the PZ. IV tank - strange. I set its resistance ID to 6 and all of the collisions volumes seems to be in the right places (including sphere ones).

About the gate - even more strange. The gate has default resistance ID set to 7 with Resistance value set to 4999 and Tresh set to 4000. I don't remember, that i lowered the power of the tank cannon shell in the materials table. Could you remind me please, which ID is the explosion power of the cannon shell?

Are you completely sure, that you didn't mix up two mods? Did you make a new player profile? Maybe simply reinstall H&D Deluxe and then install my H&D Deluxe Ultimate Mod? I know, that Myron had a ton of weird bugs with my mod due to that particular reason.

As far as i remember i tested this mission and i didn't encounter such bugs. Myron would know for sure. I will try to check again the Danube 3 mission in a more detailed way when i have more free time.

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:15 pm

For cannons that fire rockets, the power value is useless. They use the power value of "faust" explosion. The value is 5000, but that is not enough because of the distance to the center of the object. Most power gets lost on the way. If I put 6 to the gates, they can be destroyed easily.

Two other small things, did you delete the breathx animation? The editor gave me that error and the soldier is really not breathing while benching. other thing is that the texture BACKWHEELAXEL.PNG is missing.

I downloaded your mod from moddb and extraced it in to a new HD Deluxe install.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Meanwhile i checked the Danube 3 mission in the HDD Editor and the custom Panzer IV tank model in 3ds Max.

Just like i expected - somehow the tank model was missing some important collision volumes on the hull and turret, so the gunner got shot. I tested this in the Ardenes 1 mission. I have no clue why i ever released such buggy model to the public. Blame me and my beta-tester Myron, who apparently didn't check the Danube 3 mission as i probably asked him to do so, because i really wasn't aware about that bug.

As for the "stubborn" lock gate in the Danube 3 mission i didn't check that yet. Maybe i accidentally set the wrong resistance ID to it.

I need to point out, that i was never a big fan of the Danube 3 mission, as you see in the number of the noticeable bugs still left.

I apologize for those bugs and i will try to fix them as soon as possible. no_02 :oops:

EDIT: I edited the breathing animation to make it less intense. I edited the bike.i3d and bikeb.i3d animations. My men are visible breathing in the Danube 3 mission onboard the patrol boat using seats set to "Bench". Maybe i forgot to add those 2 files to the mod. I will check that.

Regarding the distance to the center of the object - that might be simply problem with collision volumes added by developers to the lock gate visual. I had the same problem with the default armored railway car and radio tower. Worth checking out too.
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:05 pm

well, i am also looking now at my mod and found also a bug... I missed the thompson inventory model. This fucking bug devil is all around

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:56 pm

NilsZ wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:05 pm
well, i am also looking now at my mod and found also a bug... I missed the thompson inventory model. This fucking bug devil is all around
Yeah, it happens unfortunately. This is why i said that i will not make any new addons. I need to focus on one project at a time otherwise i will go completely insane.

I apologize for my bad mood today - i had a really stressful day at work and now i am mentally tired (honestly the whole week was a nightmare for me so far). I will try to implement more fixes to the Danube 3 mission tomorrow when time permits and my brain will function again, lol. Fixing the custom Panzer IV model shouldn't be that difficult - a matter of adding few extra collision volumes. Looks like despite those bugs, the Danube 3 mission could be completed succesfully, because i didn't hear any complains about it on ModDB. Anyway, those bugs will be fixed sooner or later i promise.

Please hold on with your feedback about next missions a bit NilsZ. I also thank you very much for the kind words - i always treated you as a mod-guru back in 2014 and this is true still to this very day. To be honest, you are one of the main reasons why i continued modding despite knowing shit about HDD editor and 3ds Max. I still remember my reactions when i opened HDD Editor and 3ds Max for the very first time - i almost cried looking at all those fancy options and panels. funny02

I hope, that i won't need to fix a ton of bugs regarding the rest of the edited missions. I have a really bad feeling about this...

I really regret that i uploaded the mod to ModDB to wider public in such a hurry. I will need to be more careful in the future. I am really glad that you became my new beta-tester NilsZ! thup01

This is what i really needed - a support from a true H&D Deluxe modder like yourself. :cool:

If you need any advice how to complete my modified missions feel free to ask. You could of course use any of my custom models in your H&D Extended Mod with proper Credits note. We don't want any copyright claims from Activision, right? Trolls are everywhere, so brace yourself NilsZ as Boromir said, lol.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:50 am

I would like also to express my gratitude towards people from the great ModDB community especially MCh2207Cz and foo_jam2002, which advice and feedback helped me greatly to improve my H&D Deluxe Ultimate Mod. I won't let you down guys! thup01

As Master Yoda used to say: "Do or do not there is no try". This video is for all of you kind people out there in the Galaxy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVHreGgTJEM

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

P. S. Bonus.

It is year 2030, Christmas:

- Father to son: here is my H&D Deluxe copy with mods. It is a 30-years old game. Lets play co-op?

- Son to father: what? Where is my promised PlayStation 10 then?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 am

LOL, I apologize for Danube 3.
Mines were used to destroy the halftracks last time, so they didn't get close enough for me to find out the tank's armor was useless.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:49 am

p.jakub88 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:56 pm
go completely insane.

If you need any advice how to complete my modified missions feel free to ask. You could of course use any of my custom models in your H&D Extended Mod with proper Credits note. We don't want any copyright claims from Activision, right? Trolls are everywhere, so brace yourself NilsZ as Boromir said, lol.
Indeed; let's not lose our heads over this. ;)

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:07 am

Myron wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 am
LOL, I apologize for Danube 3.
Mines were used to destroy the halftracks last time, so they didn't get close enough for me to find out the tank's armor was useless.
I actually tested the custom Panzer IV tank model from the Danube 3 mission in a test map (Ardenes 1) yesterday and its armor wasn't entirely useless - i wasn't able to kill my driver using small arms fire. However, i was able to kill my gunner firing multiple shots from the front and side with Thompson. I assume, that mounted mg on a halftrack (like in the Danube 3 mission) could do this faster.

I only wonder, how you completed the Danube 3 mission then? I assume, that you parked the patrol boat close to the iron lock. Then you simply blow it up using Bazooka and the explosion from the patrol boat damaged the iron lock, right? The explosion should be strong enough to destroy the iron lock. It has the same power as the time-bomb. The patrol boat has resistance ID 6 (just like i.e. medium tanks in my mod). I cannot think of another tactic in order to blow up the iron lock, since we cannot equip time-bomb to the Yugoslavian campaign in my mod.

However, the Panzer IV tank model should be fixed and i will do this as soon as possible. Give me some time.

I will also look into the iron lock visual as well - i suspect, that it has similar problem like the default radio tower from the Norway 2 mission. We will see.

mr.47
Captain

Unread post by mr.47 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:33 am

Finally got some hope.

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:47 pm

I could pass now the fixed danube3 mission. I was even so fast that I didn't met the halftrack vehicles.

After that is tested danube4. I saw a a lot of terrorist that were frozen in wait_signal_suspended. I tried to reach the bunker from the left and the right side but the MGs killed me instantly. I could not shoot the gunners through the trees, is that made on purpose?
Well I give up now and try tomorrow again.

PS:
It is year 2030, Christmas:

- Father to son: here is my H&D Deluxe copy with mods. It is a 30-years old game. Lets play co-op?

- Son to father: what? Where is my promised PlayStation 10 then?

- big punch into sons face

It is year 2031, Christmas:

- Son to father: Yeah! I love you dad!

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:24 pm

NilsZ wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:47 pm
I could pass now the fixed danube3 mission. I was even so fast that I didn't met the halftrack vehicles.

After that is tested danube4. I saw a a lot of terrorist that were frozen in wait_signal_suspended. I tried to reach the bunker from the left and the right side but the MGs killed me instantly. I could not shoot the gunners through the trees, is that made on purpose?
Well I give up now and try tomorrow again.
I am glad that the updated Danube 3 mission worked for you NilsZ. :grin:

Thanks also for the feedback regarding my edited Danube 4 mission. thup01

The "frozen terrorists" are captured Tito partisans by German soldiers. When you get close enough (within 35 meters from the small wooden bridge) a scene will trigger and those partisans will run down the hill. This is the "release the prisoners" scene. What those partisans really didn't know, is the fact that they will move directly into a minefield, while German soldiers will open fire to shot their backs.

I actually reached the first bunker from the right side by carefully crawling towards the small stream. I sniped enemy MG gunners on the way. It is hard, but doable. Watch out for mines - there are invisible.

I added collisions volumes to the trees (of type default) - including leaves and trunks. Leaves on trees are roughly surrounded by Sphere collisions.

EDIT: i updated my edited Danube 4 mission. Please check the "H&D Deluxe; the ultimate mod; Mission overhauls" forum thread for latest released version. It is marked "Updated 21.12.2020". Please try it NilsZ for your second review attempt. It is less frustrating than the previous version. I apologize for those gameplay balance issues. Any feedback will be appreciated!
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.