H&D Deluxe; the ultimate mod; Mission overhauls

Discuss your upcoming modding & editing projects here or shout out some ideas.
p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Re: H&D Deluxe; the ultimate mod; Mission overhauls

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:34 am

Myron wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:12 am
Ah man.
But I liked what I saw in this picture.

The picture was taken from my "Tojo's oil" add-on. The tactical situation in the add-on was different, than in the original italy2 mission.

In the add-on you start the mission OUTSIDE the factory complex walls, so you are not visible to this MG on the factory roof - but as soon as you stick your head through the main entrance you will be killed - if you are not careful enough. :grin:

In the Italy2 mission, this MG position could cover the area with the only "secure" exit from the sewers - how do you get to the surface alive?
"Who Dares Wins" - SAS motto.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:40 am

Simple, we stick our head out of the hole closest to the main building's open door, and hope the guard misses, and then he comes down after us, and we kill him. :cool:

But you are right.
So, other than adding labor-prisoners, and making most snipers just plain riflemen, I can't think of any other changes. Can you?

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:06 am

Myron wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:40 am
Simple, we stick our head out of the hole closest to the main building's open door, and hope the guard misses, and then he comes down after us, and we kill him. :cool:

But you are right.
So, other than adding labor-prisoners, and making most snipers just plain riflemen, I can't think of any other changes. Can you?

Well, meantime i made some changes to Italy2 - it is almost finished. I need to do some testing to check the guards behavior.

The refinery was recently bombed from air, so i don't think that there will be any labor-prisoners left in the open. However, i will try to find some suitable spots where i could add few of them.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:12 am

Hey, the instructor says, "the facility was bombed last night, and intensive repair is underway now". And that "all the workers are prisoners". wink01

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:26 am

Myron wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:12 am
Hey, the instructor says, "the facility was bombed last night, and intensive repair is underway now". And that "all the workers are prisoners". wink01

I added 3 workers inside the main factory's building - see the picture below. I didn't add the workers outside the building, because i feared that they could get caught in a crossfire (the AI in this game isn't very smart).

I just made all the changes for now for this mission. Please test it and give me some feedback!
Attachments
italy2.rar
(1006.63 KiB) Downloaded 831 times
refinery workers.JPG
refinery workers.JPG (153.12 KiB) Viewed 80971 times

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:29 am

Oh no... right there, they will all die, as the only safe way to eliminate the sniper above is to blow up all that stuff with the BAR. Are you trying to hurt my conscience ? ;)

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:33 am

Myron wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:29 am
Oh no... right there, they will all die, as the only safe way to eliminate the sniper above is to blow up all that stuff with the BAR. Are you trying to hurt my conscience ? ;)

That's not true. You could simply shot him trough the open doors as i did in stock mission many times.

I removed those 2 guards, that were staying inside on the floor, so the man armed with MP40 will be the only threat for you as you enter the building.

The second guard is in the room with the civilian, like in the stock mission.

Both those guards could be killed, avoiding civilian casualties :grin: .

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:41 am

No, I mean the sniper on the walkway, facing down, towards the door. He's posted right outside the office, where the other guard is, with the civilian. Other than blowing up the railway tanks, the only other way to kill him is to expose yourself, I think. :-?

And what is that civilian? A collaborator? It can't be a secretary, as they would hire a hot chick for that. wink01

P.S. It suddenly occurred to me; what if some dummy forgot to bring dynamite for the mission? Those trucks could used to detonate the tanks, but they need fuel to be driven. Plus, it makes no sense for all the trucks to be dry. It's an oil refinery for crying out loud. thup01

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 am

As I am playing it, I just now remembered a cool I bug I love exploiting; if you shoot the very first ladder you see in the tunnel, you draw the attention of a rifleman above, who "sees" you, and comes after you down that hole. :mrgreen:

P.S. Speaking of the tunnel, I don't suppose it possible to make certain parts of the tunnel dark? In the classical game, at least one stretch of tunnel was dark because the bombing knocked out the lights.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:52 am

Myron wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:41 am
No, I mean the sniper on the walkway, facing down, towards the door. He's posted right outside the office, where the other guard is, with the civilian. Other than blowing up the railway tanks, the only other way to kill him is to expose yourself, I think. :-?

And what is that civilian? A collaborator? It can't be a secretary, as they would hire a hot chick for that. wink01

P.S. It suddenly occurred to me; what if some dummy forgot to bring dynamite for the mission? Those trucks could used to detonate the tanks, but they need fuel to be driven. Plus, it makes no sense for all the trucks to be dry. It's an oil refinery for crying out loud. thup01

I also mean the "sniper" on the walkway - trust me, he could be killed shooting through the open door, if you are quick enough!

Blowing the tanks inside will not kill him, as i tried this method many times in the stock mission.

I don't know if the truck explosion is strong enough to blow up a large fuel tank nearby in H&D Deluxe. Just remember to take dynamite with you to the mission and it will be OK.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:53 am

Myron wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 am
As I am playing it, I just now remembered a cool I bug I love exploiting; if you shoot the very first ladder you see in the tunnel, you draw the attention of a rifleman above, who "sees" you, and comes after you down that hole. :mrgreen:

P.S. Speaking of the tunnel, I don't suppose it possible to make certain parts of the tunnel dark? In the classical game, at least one stretch of tunnel was dark because the bombing knocked out the lights.

Yes, i noticed this bug also.

I will need to remove light sources from certain parts of the tunnel - is it really important for you?

I just wanted to proceed to the Italy3 mission. :roll:

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:46 am

Just completed it. I LOVE it. And it was hard! Here are my thoughts, one by one. :eek:

That bug I mentioned can happen anywhere now, as the Germans are moving around up there. Nice. :cool:

Darkening the tunnel was just a thought, not important at all. No need. Ignore that idea. :idea:

Are you secretly Santa Claus? You already knew I wanted fuel in those trucks, and gave them some! :grin:

Is the sniper on the roof armed with a scoped Gewehr 43? He sure shoots fast, like his rifle is semi-automatic. :shock:
Also, the tower MGs have a long range, wow. :shock:

Also, yes, IF the truck's explosion is right next to the tank, it will destroy it. If you destroy a truck with bullets, the explosion will happen right where the bullets land, so you must make sure to shoot the truck right where it's touching the tank. thup01
And, for some reason, the two trios of undamaged tanks are programmed to ALL be destroyed if you blow just one up. It doesn't happen with the other two trios.

In the classical game, tree-leaves and fences were bullet proof. In Deluxe, they are not. Destroying the railway tanks inside the building always kills the MP40 guy looking down below, in my games anyway.

What's weird, is how the "hostages" and other civilians are left alone IF they stay still. I tell them to "follow me" and Germans shoot them. If I die next to a live hostage, he yells out, "Dammit", just like my men do. :roll:

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:55 am

Myron wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:46 am
Just completed it. I LOVE it. And it was hard! Here are my thoughts, one by one. :eek:

Is the sniper on the roof armed with a scoped Gewehr 43? He sure shoots fast, like his rifle is semi-automatic. :shock:
Also, the tower MGs have a long range, wow. :shock:

Glad that you liked it. The sniper on the roof is armed with scoped Mauser K98 rifle. There is no Gewehr 43 in the stock H&D Deluxe.

I am currently working on Italy3 - fixing some bugs and improving the overall mission playability.

I changed the weapon's ID of some German soldiers in the mission, to match the modified data.dta archive.

Below is a picture showing how the PZ IV tanks look like with the new skin. The author of the re-texture stated that this way is more realistic.
Attachments
Panzer IV camo.JPG
Panzer IV camo.JPG (109.92 KiB) Viewed 80948 times
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 am

As for Italy 3, well,

Place the MG nests that you like, and put snipers in the towers. And turn non-snipers into riflemen. :roll:

As for the Panzer IVs, you can either A.) replace them with drivable models, along with fuel and ammo, :cool: and/or B.) have a band of partisans make a daring attack from the other side of the railway station, and have them set dynamite charges on those tanks. :mrgreen:

A German officer or two might be in the main building, waiting for his train to arrive. grin01

What do we do about the two locomotives? They are important assets to the enemy, are they not? :roll:

Hmm, writing that gave me another idea; :idea: given how no craters are visible, is it possible to add more bombs falling from the sky, and more accurately? :?:

P.S. I know there is no G-43 rifle. That was a joke, about how fast he shoots. He killed me plenty of times! :mrgreen:

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:04 am

Myron wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 am
As for Italy 3, well,

Place the MG nests that you like, and put snipers in the towers. And turn non-snipers into riflemen. :roll:

As for the Panzer IVs, you can either A.) replace them with drivable models, along with fuel and ammo, :cool: and/or B.) have a band of partisans make a daring attack from the other side of the railway station, and have them set dynamite charges on those tanks. :mrgreen:

A German officer or two might be in the main building, waiting for his train to arrive. grin01

What do we do about the two locomotives? They are important assets to the enemy, are they not? :roll:

Hmm, writing that gave me another idea; :idea: given how no craters are visible, is it possible to add more bombs falling from the sky, and more accurately? :?:

P.S. I know there is no G-43 rifle. That was a joke, about how fast he shoots. He killed me plenty of times! :mrgreen:

I just replaced most scoped K98 with standard versions.

Replace the PZ IV tanks with drivable models with fuel and ammo - it would be a lot of work, i don't like this idea.

I once saw a German soldier placing anti-tank mines on the ground in stock H&D Deluxe mission (Germany 5), but i don't know if the AI could place time-bomb accurately not blowing himself, lol.

Adding the destruction of the locomotives as an additional mission objective would require to re-edit all the mission objectives, so their descriptions, etc. I would suggest to leave the mission objectives as they are now - this way it will match the pre-mission briefing.

There are already 2 German soldiers inside the main railway building, adding an officer will probably cause the 2 other Germans get accidentally killed by this officer (the AI isn't very smart).

Actually there are no bombs falling from the sky - only explosions on the ground. Making all the buildings destroyable would be almost impossible.

I set the sniper reaction in Italy2 to 100% as well as his accuracy. I thought as an elite soldier he need to be the best :grin: .