H&D Deluxe, the ultimate mod: Vehicles

Discuss your upcoming modding & editing projects here or shout out some ideas.
p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Re: H&D Deluxe, the ultimate mod: Vehicles

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:05 pm

I edited the default armored railway car model by replacing its default Flak 38 AA gun model with the one imported from Call of Duty 1. I also fixed some minor bugs with the model itself.

See pictures below. Do you like it Myron?

I placed it in the Danube 3 mission. I didn't test the edited model in-game yet. I could send you the necessary files if you want, so you could test it yourself. Please let me know!
Attachments
destroyed armored wagon.JPG
destroyed armored wagon.JPG (89.89 KiB) Viewed 10854 times
armored wagon.JPG
armored wagon.JPG (98.02 KiB) Viewed 10854 times
"Who Dares Wins" - SAS motto.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:16 am

Hmm, does it actually fit in that car? It looks a bit like it might be unable to turn.

(I know it can't move in the game; I am just asking for realism's sake.)

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:47 am

Myron wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:16 am
Hmm, does it actually fit in that car? It looks a bit like it might be unable to turn.

(I know it can't move in the game; I am just asking for realism's sake.)
Well, i slightly re-sized the armored railway car model (it is bigger by about ~10% than the default model), but it still fits to the railroad tracks. The AA gun itself has the same size as the standalone version and could theoretically turn around inside the armored railway car (i checked that in the editor).

See attached pictures below.

It looks like, that i also fixed the bug with the sides of default armored railway car model being immune to anti-tank weapons. I tested the edited model in the Ardenes 1 mission and i was able to blow it up aiming at all its 4 sides with Bazooka. I think, that it had something to do with the placement of collision volumes in the original model.
Attachments
side view.JPG
side view.JPG (97.21 KiB) Viewed 10742 times
top view.JPG
top view.JPG (98.23 KiB) Viewed 10742 times
bottom view.JPG
bottom view.JPG (79.79 KiB) Viewed 10742 times
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:06 am

Can a grenade still reach the inside?
I ask because my younger brother does it that way; tossing a frag in from the top.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:05 am

Myron wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:06 am
Can a grenade still reach the inside?
I ask because my younger brother does it that way; tossing a frag in from the top.
No. Below i explained why.

There is a Flak 38 AA gun that mostly blocks the way and an invisible collision volume shaped like a box inside the armored railway car. Without it the enemy crew (mg gunners) could be hit through the metal sides. The armored railway car is immune to grenades as a whole.

For me the idea of tossing grenades in from the top is also tempting - in order to kill the crew first and then blow the vehicle itself. Sadly, it is not that easy to implement. Maybe i could try to change the armored railway car to a stationary vehicle, which enables the enemy AI to see from the inside while still being protected from small arms fire at the same time (like aboard tank). The problem is, that you can only have one gunner position in your vehicle (it is hardcoded). I though earlier about adding mounted machine-guns on tanks or making more than one gunner position available for use in the Lancaster bomber. Unfortunately, H&D Deluxe works in different way than H&D 2 in that regard.

Anyway, it is still possible to injure or even kill the crew of some vehicles using grenades without blowing the vehicle itself - i made a test with the SAS jeep. I threw a timed-fuse British grenade while sitting on the back of the jeep and the grenade landed at the feet of one of my teammates aboard causing heavy injuries. The second grenade blew the jeep up. I think, that you could even kill the SDKFZ halftrack mg gunner using grenades - however i never tried that method.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:40 pm

I imported an Opel Blitz truck model from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault into 3ds max. It is a "tarpaulin truck version". However, it looks like something is wrong with the cover of its cargo space. I don't remember the truck looking like that in the first mission of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I will check some let's play on Youtube to be sure.

EDIT: I actually played the first MOH:AA mission instead. The Opel Blitz truck with covered cargo space looks different. Pictures were taken with game set to 1024 x 768 resolution on max graphics settings.

See pictures below.
Attachments
Opel truck inside.JPG
Opel truck inside.JPG (73.14 KiB) Viewed 10366 times
Opel truck outside.JPG
Opel truck outside.JPG (69.67 KiB) Viewed 10366 times
Opel Blitz MOHAA.JPG
Opel Blitz MOHAA.JPG (48.02 KiB) Viewed 10368 times
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Thanks to the help received from MCh2207Cz from the ModDB community i retextured again the Opel Blitz truck model from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. The truck windshield texture was taken from the default H&D Deluxe Opel Blitz model, because the one from the MOH: AA model was not transparent for some reason.

Now it looks almost exactly like the Opel Blitz model from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. :cool:

See pictures below.
Attachments
opel back1.JPG
opel back1.JPG (38.56 KiB) Viewed 10349 times
opel side1.JPG
opel side1.JPG (45.74 KiB) Viewed 10349 times
opel front1.JPG
opel front1.JPG (37.64 KiB) Viewed 10349 times

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:57 am

OK. Let's continue on. This time i imported the destroyed version of the "Summer" Opel Blitz model from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

See pictures below. :cool:

Maybe i could make this truck destroyable and driveable at the same time. However, i don't promise that. It depends on the custom model properties.
Attachments
opel_d back.JPG
opel_d back.JPG (35.35 KiB) Viewed 10337 times
opel_d side.JPG
opel_d side.JPG (48.62 KiB) Viewed 10337 times
opel_d front.JPG
opel_d front.JPG (35.94 KiB) Viewed 10337 times

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:56 pm

OK Myron. I tested the custom Opel Blitz truck from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault in the Ardenes 1 mission.

It has 8 seats like the Opel Blitz truck used in my edited Germany 1 mission (2 front seats and 6 on the back).

I re-scaled the custom truck model to be the same size as the default Opel Blitz truck from H&D Deluxe.

The new Opel Blitz is destroyable, but unfortunately not drivable at the moment. When i started the engine the truck moved in a very strange, uncontrollable way - even when the truck's wheels could be still turned left and right. I was afraid, that this will happen. Making a custom vehicle driveable in H&D Deluxe is a pain in the ass. Maybe i will figure that out myself or ask NilsZ for help. At least the new Opel Blitz model could be used as a stationary, destroyable vehicle.

See pictures below.
Attachments
Opel Blitz destroyed.png
Opel Blitz destroyed.png (802.83 KiB) Viewed 10322 times
Driver view.png
Driver view.png (687.66 KiB) Viewed 10322 times
Opel Blitz front.png
Opel Blitz front.png (728.82 KiB) Viewed 10322 times
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:24 pm

Great news Myron! Thanks to NilsZ help, the custom Opel Blitz model imported from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is driveable now! :cool:

I also re-textured the custom "Summer version" Opel Blitz model with original Medal of Honor textures to give it a "Winter look".

Attachments
Opel Winter back.JPG
Opel Winter back.JPG (38.97 KiB) Viewed 10306 times
Opel Winter front.JPG
Opel Winter front.JPG (42.38 KiB) Viewed 10306 times
Opel Winter side.JPG
Opel Winter side.JPG (44.44 KiB) Viewed 10306 times

KiloEcho
Corporal

Unread post by KiloEcho » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:19 pm

May I say that your on-going projects continue to not only educate and inform those following along,
but also inspire and encourage me personally to learn more about the mechanics of the game itself.
During a quick-study of bertgold vehicles, there are several trucks, one of which is quite similar in
appearance to this very one that you have imported and both so skillfully re-worked. Great job guys!
opeltruck.png
opeltruck.png (675.71 KiB) Viewed 10303 times
I find that upon using the available drivers position of this other truck and starting its fueled engine, my program
soon crashes. thus preventing any real investigation of the vehicles characteristics and behaviors on my part.
radistdriver.png
radistdriver.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 10303 times
The details of which were:
Address: 1b:0161e00b, Exception code: c0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION)
Registers:
eax = c4136a64, ebx = 03035500, ecx = 0100000d, edx = 0012febc
esi = 02f85150, edi = 00418710, ebp = 00000000, esp = 0012f8fc
To be clear this was while attempting an inspection of the opeltruck for bertgold and not your new one.
Also, this occurred after loading a non-standard and therefore error-prone mission (cs_village) into the
editor for bertgold compiled way back on March 6, 2002 In retrospect, it would have been far better to try
first mounting and test driving it from within another scene already known to be viable. A lesson learned.

Nonetheless remaining highly confident that with your abilities and talents we will continue to enjoy operating,
destroying, fighting from and against them all, in assaults and for making our escapes using these very cool
custom war machines that you have brought forth.
Greatly anticipating the next project in this fine series. Perhaps you may someday consider a port based upon
the bertgold model named opel_zima pictured below for use by your ultimate mod users and admirers
DIMENSION [001].png
DIMENSION [001].png (728.85 KiB) Viewed 10303 times

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:39 pm

KiloEcho wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:19 pm
May I say that your on-going projects continue to not only educate and inform those following along,
but also inspire and encourage me personally to learn more about the mechanics of the game itself.

Nonetheless remaining highly confident that with your abilities and talents we will continue to enjoy operating,
destroying, fighting from and against them all, in assaults and for making our escapes using these very cool
custom war machines that you have brought forth.
Greatly anticipating the next project in this fine series. Perhaps you may someday consider a port based upon
the bertgold model named opel_zima pictured below for use by your ultimate mod users and admirers
Thank you for your appreciation of my modding work! However, all of this would not be possible without invaluable help received from NilsZ and MCh2207Cz from the ModDB community. Not to mention few great websites and PC games from which i obtained my custom vehicles models.

I am planning an update of my H&D Deluxe Ultimate Mod in a near future.

As far as i know, there is no "Winter version" of Opel Blitz model in Medal of Honor: Spearhead with covered cargo space - the one seen on my previous pictures looks a bit awkward without snow covering it. I must say, that the opel_zima model from Bertgold looks really cool. I will check it too. Thanks for the info!

I even though about importing an Opel Blitz truck from Hidden & Dangerous 2, since we already know how to open .4ds files in 3ds max. However, i don't know the exact names of the truck model and related textures.
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:33 am

I re-textured the custom Opel Blitz model from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault again. This time based on a model from Bertgold mod called opeltruck_winter.i3d and using its texture for covered cargo space. With some additional required UV mapping it looks better than my previous Opel Blitz "Winter version" model. Thanks KiloEcho for letting me know about the Opel Blitz model from the Bertgold mod! thup01

Attachments
Opel Winter back.JPG
Opel Winter back.JPG (44.93 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
Opel Winter side.JPG
Opel Winter side.JPG (48.98 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
Opel Winter front.JPG
Opel Winter front.JPG (45.13 KiB) Viewed 10276 times

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:05 pm

Just for curiosity sake i imported two Opel Blitz truck models from Hidden & Dangerous 2 into 3ds max 8.

Assuming that i found the right models (which i am not sure to be honest) i placed original H&D 2 textures on them.

The Opel Blitz "Summer version" is named by default "La_OpelE.4ds", while the Opel Blitz "Winter version" is named "La_OpelWin.4ds".
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:34 pm

According to the Hidden and Dangerous Wiki: https://hiddenanddangerous.fandom.com/w ... litz_T3.6S , both Opel Blitz trucks models from H&D 2 look like that in the game itself (see pictures below).
Attachments
Opel_Blitz_T3.6S_(Stamsund).jpg
Opel_Blitz_T3.6S_(Stamsund).jpg (77.94 KiB) Viewed 10257 times
Opel_Blitz_(Alps).jpg
Opel_Blitz_(Alps).jpg (13.54 KiB) Viewed 10257 times