The Tojo's oil - a H&D Deluxe mission add-on

Discuss your upcoming modding & editing projects here or shout out some ideas.
p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

The Tojo's oil - a H&D Deluxe mission add-on

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Hello everyone,

i would like to share with you my fortieth-seventh created mission add-on for Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe, it is called "The Tojo's oil".

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Unpack all the *.rar archives into your H&D Deluxe data folder (i.e.: C:\Program Files\Take2\Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe\data) and replace data.dta with the new one. The mission add-on is a file with *.add extension. Start the game, choose play add-on and select "The Tojo's oil" from the menu.

MISSION BRIEFING

BORNEO, 1945. We will help the Australian 7th infantry division to liberate Borneo from the Japanese occupation. Our objective is to secure one of the former Dutch oil refineries. The Japanese established a defensive line there. Our attack begins with the support of artillery fire on enemy positions. Good luck!

CREDITS

To NilsZ for providing info about creating destroyable models in 3ds max.
The Japanese truck model, sandbags model and related textures were downloaded from www.cadnav.com, except for the destroyable version of the Japanese truck which i made myself. I made few new models (i.e. Type 92 machine gun). I also re-textured some already existed default H&D Deluxe objects (i.e. enemy uniforms).

IMPORTANT INFO

The mission starts with the artillery fire on the refinery area, so hold Your positions and wait when it finishes - otherwise Your commandos could be injured or even killed. To complete the mission You will need to kill all enemies on the map. Due to the mission size it could take some time to load it - please be patient!

REQUEST FOR FEEDBACK

If you downloaded my mission add-on please give me your feedback. I am waiting your comment. :grin:

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I re-uploaded the data.rar file once again. It seems, that there were some files missing inside the data.dta archive preventing from launching the game. I apologize for that.
Attachments
data.rar
Updated version
(2.23 MiB) Downloaded 493 times
The Tojo's oil.rar
(9.85 MiB) Downloaded 577 times
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 am, edited 9 times in total.
"Who Dares Wins" - SAS motto.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Re: The Tojo's oil - a H&D Deluxe mission add-on

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Below i posted 1 image from "The Tojo's oil" mission add-on.
Attachments
The refinery under artillery fire.jpg
The refinery under artillery fire.jpg (94.3 KiB) Viewed 36186 times

Bielow
Private

Unread post by Bielow » Fri May 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi p.jakub88
Unfortunately - I can't run this mission.
I'm unpacking new data and replacing with old one, I'm placing .add file into my data folder but when I'm trying to run my H&D it won't start.
Any advice?

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Bielow wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:46 pm
Hi p.jakub88
Unfortunately - I can't run this mission.
I'm unpacking new data and replacing with old one, I'm placing .add file into my data folder but when I'm trying to run my H&D it won't start.
Any advice?
Hi,

i tested this mission on two different PCs (Windows Vista and Windows 7 OS) and worked fine - so this problem is not related to the addon itself (see images below).

Try to unpack the data.dta with Winrar directly to Your main H&D Deluxe directory (i.e.: C:\Program Files\Take2\Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe). The game sometimes has problems to read directly from a *.dta archive. I downloaded the new data.dta as well (the same one that i uploaded on this topic) and i replaced the old one plus i unpacked all folders inside the data.dta archive (bin, procedurals, tables, text) directly to the main H&D Deluxe directory and the game launched without problems.

The new data.dta is needed to run this mission - i made some changes in the inventory table (i added new weapons such Arisaka rifle, changed weapon's statistics to be historically accurate and added new time-bomb type) and added new descriptions for the new weapons and items (such Sten MKIIS and time-bomb with Amatol).

All the new models, textures, sounds, mission briefing, objectives, foto and the mission itself are already packed inside the mission's *.add archive in five folders: maps.mod, missions, models.mod, sounds.mod and text.mod. This is the way that any new add-on for H&D Deluxe need to be made (look here: http://oldsite.hidden-and-dangerous.net ... rial2.html).

I hope that this helps. Please let me know.

EDIT:

Please remember to use for each of my mission and campaign add-ons the data.dta file designed for it (the one posted in the topic with the new mission or campaign itself). There could be some incompatibilities between different data.dta versions that i uploaded here during those years. I added some new weapons, items and descriptions for Japanese, British and German side as well.
Attachments
Add-on selection screen.jpg
As You can see the game launches without problem.
Add-on selection screen.jpg (165.72 KiB) Viewed 36124 times
The refinery.jpg
The mission itself - the beginning after the artillery fire.
The refinery.jpg (152.5 KiB) Viewed 36126 times

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Excellent add-on.

Adding an MG nest on top of the building was a brilliant idea.

LOL, just like in real life, the men manning the artillery tell you that they will help you, and yet they are lousy shots. XD

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Myron wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:35 pm
Excellent add-on.

Adding an MG nest on top of the building was a brilliant idea.

LOL, just like in real life, the men manning the artillery tell you that they will help you, and yet they are lousy shots. XD

Hello Myron,

thank You for Your feedback! thup01

I added another artillery strike in "The Broadway's defense" add-on, when Japanese start to pound the airfield before infantry charge on the beginning of the mission. They managed to destroy one of the parked transport planes there (of course this is a scripted mission event). Being close to that artillery barrage is quite frightening i must say.

In my add-on "One step closer to Rabaul" i simulated a B-25 bombers strike against Japanese positions hidden in the jungle. I even made a destroyable palm tree model. Both artillery and air support were used often in war against Japan during fights on Guadalcanal, New Guinea and other places.
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Sad that no craters appear when the bombers hit the railway station.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Myron wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:55 pm
Sad that no craters appear when the bombers hit the railway station.
Well, in example the existing craters from the original 2nd mission (refinery) from the stock Italian campaign are "visuals" - being a part of the terrain. There is a possibility to convert "visual" into "model" and makes it destroyable - just like i did with the stock iron railway bridge from the 1st mission of the stock Italian campaign. You could blew it up using time-bomb. However, every destroyable model has a "resistance value" defined in the table - You need to accumulate certain "power" to turn the model into destroyed one. Good example is the stock Tiger tank with default resistance set to 3000. The time-bomb by default has 7000 power value assigned and could easily blow up the Tiger.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Wow, didn't know about this "power".

I take it, the impact grenades put out more power than a timed ones?
I noticed that only 1 impact can destroy a tank, but two timed ones are needed.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Myron wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:09 pm
Wow, didn't know about this "power".

I take it, the impact grenades put out more power than a timed ones?
I noticed that only 1 impact can destroy a tank, but two timed ones are needed.
Hello Myron,

yes, You are right. I noticed also a "Tresh" value assigned to each resistance value in the table. In example for the Tiger tank default resistance value of 3000 there is a Tresh value of 2100. So, indeed the tank by default could be destroyed by just a single grenade. Well, this isn't very realistic - i will need to change that using HDD Editor.

EDIT: I just changed the "Tresh" value for plane's resistance from default 1500 to 690 inside the resist.tab table, so now it is possible to destroy parked planes using jeep mounted machine-gun or light machine-gun (like Bren). Previously this was impossible in H&D Deluxe. I re-uploaded the data.dta archive that contains the resist.tab file for those of my add-ons in which the player need to destroy parked enemy planes.

I also changed the default "Tresh" value for tanks from 2100 to 2750, so now it couldn't be possible to destroy them with just a single grenade. Still You will be able to blow them up using i.e. field cannon or Panzerfaust. I re-uploaded the data.dta archive that contains the resist.tab file for those of my add-ons in which the player need to destroy enemy tanks.
Last edited by p.jakub88 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 pm

For it to make sense that the potato masher can destroy a Tiger, I pretend that the potato masher is that fat, Russian-made Anti-Tank grenade.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:59 pm

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:12 pm

Myron wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 pm
For it to make sense that the potato masher can destroy a Tiger, I pretend that the potato masher is that fat, Russian-made Anti-Tank grenade.
Hmm, i don't think so. It is more likely a "souvenir" from the old Hidden & Dangerous 1999 year game , which was plagued with many bugs (i.e. You could kill the Tiger tank crew with submachine-gun, lol). Most of the major H&D bugs were fixed in the H&D Deluxe.

Myron
SAS Soldier

Unread post by Myron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:50 pm

p.jakub88 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:12 pm
Myron wrote:
Hmm, i don't think so. It is more likely a "souvenir" from the old Hidden & Dangerous 1999 year game , which was plagued with many bugs (i.e. You could kill the Tiger tank crew with submachine-gun, lol). Most of the major H&D bugs were fixed in the H&D Deluxe.
The only "bug" that I acknowledged was the fact that my tank driver's head sticks out, whenever I try to drive a tank. It matters not because sadly, NONE of the Tigers have fuel in them.

I liked how now-and-then, and whenever they scored a kill, the German tank gunner/commander would "inspect" the kill by peaking out the hatch, making him vulnerable to snipers. I just wished his driver did the same.

Another "bug" I missed making use of was the hatch on the passenger-side of the half-track, which is realistic, because hey, there is a hatch there. And it allowed the guy who manned the MG42 to have a sniper partner, or a partner who could fire rockets at tanks.

p.jakub88
SAS Soldier

Unread post by p.jakub88 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Myron wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:50 pm
p.jakub88 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:12 pm
Myron wrote:
The only "bug" that I acknowledged was the fact that my tank driver's head sticks out, whenever I try to drive a tank. It matters not because sadly, NONE of the Tigers have fuel in them.

I liked how now-and-then, and whenever they scored a kill, the German tank gunner/commander would "inspect" the kill by peaking out the hatch, making him vulnerable to snipers. I just wished his driver did the same.

Another "bug" I missed making use of was the hatch on the passenger-side of the half-track, which is realistic, because hey, there is a hatch there. And it allowed the guy who manned the MG42 to have a sniper partner, or a partner who could fire rockets at tanks.

Well, so You were very lucky to encounter only one bug in H&D 1. Try to kill the Tiger tank crew with Sten in the first mission of Czechoslovakian campaign in Prague. I did that once :grin: . I even was able to steal that tank and drive through the Prague streets, lol.