Holy mother of god: entire levels as objects inside levels

Discuss your upcoming modding & editing projects here or shout out some ideas.
zanzibar
Private

Holy mother of god: entire levels as objects inside levels

Unread post by zanzibar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Apparently, and I've yet to fully test this, but it's possible to open an entire level as an object in another level. This is absolutely new to me :shock:

Inspired by Jason telling me no mod had yet fully used the maps included in LCGames' Insanity Tech Demo, I was looking at what I could do with them. The Underground level is particularly appealing to me - an underground space which could be worked as a sewer. Not having 3DMax, I had thought the only way I could take advantage of these levels would be to use them "as is"; the underground level would have to be its own thing and not part of something larger.

This isn't the case anymore.

That's the entire Underground level inside the first level in Germany.

The only issue I've encountered so far is that, as expected, the level is loaded as a single object. Which is to say, there are no individual parts that can be manipulated; it's set in stone. The upside is that someone can change the base level any way they can or want, save a copy, then load it as an object and place it in another level. I was reminded of some fanmade mission where I'd see geometry not usually available in that level - like, say, a miniature of the V2 Rocket - and assumed this could only be achieved by 3DMax. Also, this level itself can be walked around in as a single object: all doors and stairs seem to work perfectly.

Oh man. If eveyone knew this already I feel pretty stupid. Either way, I'm ecstatic.

zanzibar
Private

Re: Holy mother of god: entire levels as objects inside leve

Unread post by zanzibar » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:06 am

Minor update: it seems levels loaded as objects can actually be manipulated. Only tested this with two levels, C3M5 (escaping German army in the half-track) and C6M2 (airport in Prague). Not sure why it didn't work with Underground, though I'll check it out when I get the chance. Unlike levels themselves, previously locked geometry can now be manipulated in size, position, etc. - even deleted. I've been using the airport ground as a "map" of sorts, while loading C3M5, taking out roads and hillsides from it, constructing a new village and roads, then deleting excess models.

Someone with far more time and skill on their hands could go as far as recreating, expected differences and limitations aside, the raid at St. Nazaire harbor. One could import C5M1 (vessel with Enigma) for this, even.

Jason
Administrator

Re: Holy mother of god: entire levels as objects inside leve

Unread post by Jason » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:58 pm

To be honest I don't think I ever tried to import another scene into a scene. Interesting to know it can work, a creative way around not having 3d max r3 :cool: