Running SS on Vista

Experiencing a technical issue or bug with Hidden & Dangerous 2, discuss it here and ask for help.
Pikkuveli
Private

Running SS on Vista

Unread post by Pikkuveli » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Hello,

I'm having an issue running Sabre Squadron on Windows Vista. As this game was released before Vista, it has to run on the XP settings. For the original H&D2 game, i was able to run it by switching the compatibility in the properties section.

* Program files -> Illusion Softworks -> Hidden&Dangerous2 -> right-click on HD2 icon -> properties -> compatibility -> Run on Windows XP(Service Pack2) *

After installing Sabre Squadron, I went into thesame file to do thesame thing with the SS file. After doing so, however, the game still doesn't launch, as if the command for running on XP settings never came through. I double click the icon (both in the H&D2 file aswell as the link on my desktop) and nothing happens. I hear the disc being read but to no effect.
To make things worse, after trying that the disc won't come back out. If i try to get the disc out of my computer it says an error occured in doing so, meaning that the only way to get it out is by rebooting my PC.
Also, once SS is installed, thesame issue suddenly applies for the original H&D2 game. It's as if Sabre Squadron corrupts the files from the original game and now makes both games unplayable.

Does anybody have any idea how this problem can be solved? I've already tried reinstalling both games, and although H&D2 works again after reinstalling, it's both unplayable again after installing SS.

Lars
Commando

Re: Running SS on Vista

Unread post by Lars » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Patched up to 1.12? Tried to use an no cd crack? Nearly all of us use that  :oops:

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:10 pm

That sounds really weird mate, try going to gamecopyworld.com for the no-cd patch, if that doesn't help maybe try a re-install. It's definitely not the game or just being Vista.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Pikkuveli
Private

Unread post by Pikkuveli » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 pm

I tried Patching up to 1.12, but no changes.
I went to this gamecopyworld to get the 1.12 patch for SS, and after following instructions i try launching the game. It's then showing me a progress bar for installing the game, or something like it. After a few seconds, i get the typical error sound with the announcement that an unfixable error had occured. So that's the end of that chapter.
I'll try running it on a different computer that still runs windows XP, but I'm seriously starting to lose hope.

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:13 pm

Well I only know that others are playing it on vista. Maybe a fresh installtion of hd2 might help?

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Yeah I know for a fact it works on Vista, just re-install it, something is wrong with the installation
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Pikkuveli
Private

Unread post by Pikkuveli » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Well, like i said before I've already tried reinstalling (twice by now) but to no effect. The thing with the disc not coming back out after trying to start makes me think there's an issue when reading the disc though, because it's during that process when things start to go wrong. Before trying to start the game i can open the disc trey, but after trying that it won't open anymore, no matter how much time goes by after the attempt. I don't know what it is, but it's not going away with patches or reinstalls. I guess i just got screwed over. Thanks for the help nonetheless though guys, i do appreciate it.
Last edited by Pikkuveli on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pikkuveli
Private

Unread post by Pikkuveli » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:18 am

Just for the record, i tried it on my brother's computer which runs windows XP, and everything worked right away. I'm not saying I don't believe you when you say it can run on Vista, but in my personal case I can't see anything else to blame rather than Vista screwing up in the process of running on XP settings.