Tactics, map and more

Think you're a Hidden & Dangerous 2 pro, discuss your strategies here or ask for help.
sweetbutt
Private

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by sweetbutt » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:22 pm

Hi all! :D

I've just discovered HD2 and I am amazed..

although the AI isn't that effective and this is a true pity cuz' I cannot really trust my team mates....many times they act like ducks and when u're playing at hard level ev'thing's more complicated and u really have to behave urself out there....and when a team mates bumps into a german bloke and doesn't do anything to kill him....well....it's a bit frustrating...

but everything else in this game amazes me.....donnow really why..

Just posted here to get in contact with all the Campaign Fanatics out there (I'm not a multiplayer fan yet...still want to taste HD2 during the campaign) to exchange some good tactics....or the guy that wrote the review of HD2 (who's not a multyplayer fan like me :D ) to check if there's something great still to be discovered to enjoy HD2 at its best

thanx! :)

Jason
Administrator

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by Jason » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:14 pm

I believe that guy would be me :wink: I do play multiplayer but I really prefer to play singleplayer.

I agree with you about the AI in hard mode, its REALLY frustrating when they don't fire at someone right in front of them. It's just :shock:

If you haven't played H&D Deluxe you should, you can download it for free, its 200+ megs so if your on 56k be sure to use a file manager so you can pause it :oops: It's worth getting if you liked H&D2.

Have you played the expansion Sabre Squadron yet?

What's your favourite mission? :)
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

sweetbutt
Private

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by sweetbutt » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:22 am

wow!!! a single player fan!!!!

u're the first person that ADMITS he's a singleplayer fan :D

well...I will SURELY get HD Deluxe as long as it can be played in 1st person (I never use the 3rd person in HD2...never liked it on any game)
as far as I know it's only 3rd person but if u tell me that 1st person is available well....I will get that this moring with my broad band connection ;)

Now I'm tring to capture the oasis in the desert (the previous two missions were very veeeery tough)

I like this mission altough I can't wait to come back in europe :D
too much sunshine here a few spots where to take cover in case the situation turns wierd 8)

I usually approach stealthly to every mission....i love to sneak....and when it's time to open fire widely and assault I'm always ready....but if I can sneak in I will choose this way ;)

I loved the first mission in norway....what an atmosphere....what a silence....that was just lovely...

I bought HD2 and SS together :D

Got some questions for you:

- Got any suggestion how to compensate to that lack of AI during the campaign? How did u manage them? one by one?

- How frequently do you use the Tactical map?

- How frequently do you use signals to coordinate action?

know what?

I think I am missing something anyway with the AI....I think I'm not using them properly...sometimes it does very very stupid things and it looks very strange to me that the programmers were able to obtain such stupid behaviors from AI after 4 years of coding and programming

I describe a situation for you...

C2-M2...we were hiding inside a huge tank mine hole....a panzer was comin up from the valley (the second german spot in the mission...remember that?) I've tried to tell a team mate to destroy a panzer with the tactical map...I wanted to plan a double simultaneous attack...he owned a panzerfaust on his back...told him to destroy that but two horrible things happened :D

he was equipped with a sten for close quarter battles and a panzerfaust....he was handling the sten...

a) instead to remain hidden and best covered in the hole he went running out of that right in front of the panzer

b) instead to use the panzerfaust on his back he kept firing at him with the sten (and let me tell you this guys hu ho! THIS ACTION IS MORE OR LESS USELESS!!! OOH YEAH! 8) )
He's been killed in 3 secs by the panzer..

does it sound weirdo enough?

do you think I've gave the wrong orders?

in wait for your suggestions ;)

ps: I won't ask you which mission you enjoyed the most cuz' I don't wanna know what's gonna happen next :) just wanna taste it slowly :wink:

Grenni
Sergeant

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by Grenni » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:42 am

H&D2 has the same view-features like H&D Classic/Deluxe: first person and third person view. So go ahead and download the H&DD ;) .
For the AI question: depending on the situation I either let them follow or use them in turns. To take out the tank i.e. rather do it yourself, order your mates to stay low and try to get the attention of the tank, take cover until it is almost in front of you (when you can see its turret appear behind the ridge you are lying), get up, aim true and fire away. At least that's how I did it ;) .
Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet!

sweetbutt
Private

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by sweetbutt » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:45 am

[quote=""Grenni""]H&D2 has the same view-features like H&D Classic/Deluxe: first person and third person view. So go ahead and download the H&DD ;) .
For the AI question: depending on the situation I either let them follow or use them in turns. To take out the tank i.e. rather do it yourself, order your mates to stay low and try to get the attention of the tank, take cover until it is almost in front of you (when you can see its turret appear behind the ridge you are lying), get up, aim true and fire away. At least that's how I did it ;) .[/quote]

that's great!

questions :D

How did u tell ur m8s to:

a- stay low

b- get the attention to the tank

c- and take cover

many many times I've wished to tell them to take cover but most of the times they say "negative!" .....even thought there are many spots where they can cover (like trees etc...)..or even to keep their attention to something (soldier-MG42-panzer) and wait my signal to begin action...

the question about "how useful using signals might be" is very important for me to be known :)

you see these are my doubts...am I exploiting the whole possibilites offered by orders+tactical map?

I strongly feel I am missing something ;)

Grenni
Sergeant

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by Grenni » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:14 am

To "order" your mates to stay down toggle through them, get the first to the closed cover and lay him down manually, and do the same for the other two, then turn back to your man with the bazooka and move him to a vantage point like a ridge, a trench or at the rim of a crater.
Getting the attention of the tank was pretty easy. Expose yourself so that he can see you and fire at him (not with the bazooka ;) ). In Africa1 and 2 the PzIII turned and came towards my man. The moment you figure he has seen you take cover yourself ;) .
Similar I took down the two Me109 - expose, make them come straight at me and unload a heavy gun frontal in their face. Well, pretty risky but I was too bad with the anti-aircraft gun :oops: .

sweetbutt
Private

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by sweetbutt » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:27 am

[quote=""sweetbutt""]
- Got any suggestion how to compensate to that lack of AI during the campaign? How did u manage them? one by one?

- How frequently do you use signals to coordinate action? [/quote]

would you answer these questions directly? please please please :D

I'm so curious and wanna exploit you SP experts out there :D

thanx in advance :wink:

yoobie
Corporal

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by yoobie » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:47 pm

[quote=""sweetbutt""][quote=""sweetbutt""]

- How frequently do you use signals to coordinate action? [/quote]

would you answer these questions directly? please please please :D

I'm so curious and wanna exploit you SP experts out there :D

thanx in advance :wink:[/quote]

About the lack of AI - It depends on the situation.

Spoiler ahead:
For example on Ponte grande, i sent my bar gunner along with my 'thief' (armed with silenced weapons and stealth above 70%) to go to the other side, and take positions to defend the town.. i also ordered npcs to follow them (by normal voice command)

I ordered my sniper to position himself on that tall building, took control of my medic, went down to the ravine and took care of the enemies and dynamites myself

And that explains all - AI can walk, take positions and defend, dont expect they can do any complicated tasks like arming bombs, or use sticky bombs to disable tanks successfully

About the tactical map, i use it A LOT. Theres no better way in giving orders to your troops... actually i think its the only one...

Signals? Never. Hd2 has an option of pausing the game and ordering your troops to do stuff without losing any time, so using those signals is for those hardcore players only, that are too 1337 to use the tactical map.

Grenni
Sergeant

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by Grenni » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:06 pm

SP-experts :?: :shock: :lol:
However... I compensate by using the SAS in turns in certain situations but I personally never use the tactical map - the Classic/Deluxe was much better :wink: - and frequently I also order the other mates by commands when I don't expect enemies popping up left or right or have to cross a longer distance.
Ok, one situations where I use them in turns... Walking along a street and approaching a crossing in the city:
Have one guy with a sub-machine gun take a place at the rear and face back down the alley. Place another one at one wall facing the direction you wanna go. Take the third guy along one side - say right - of the street along the wall until you can see a bit into the crossing street to the left. Go to the fourth and bring him on the other side up to the level of the third man to view the right side. Now continue bit for bit until you sit at the corners on each side while toggeling between the two forwards.
Once you reach the corners you can look around each of them by using the leaning left/right function. Mind the man on the left now will look left down the crossing road for better protection by the house-corner. If all is clear move the forwards a half step further looking down to left and right. Have the second one, who was protecting forward run over the crossing and take a position some paces behind the house-corners still guarding forward. If nothing happens pull your men after one by one, taking similar positions as before for the next crossing.

Was that a start? ;)

Jason
Administrator

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by Jason » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:41 am

Normally I'll control one and switch when I need too. I use the others to follow me just for cover or in hot action spots.
Never. Haven't bothered to learn it, I want the old birds eye view tactical map :(
Never. I simply set up my guys and control them when I need too. This has always worked well for me. If yah do it yourself there is no blaming the AI :wink: thats why I rarely complain about AI. I only bitch when they sit their and don't fire at enemies right in front of them :?

sweetbutt
Private

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by sweetbutt » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:29 am

I thank you very much for your feedback :D

I got a lot from it and I 'll experiment your different approaches

as soon as I bump into something interesting I'll post it down here

in the meanwhile if think there might be something more to be shared just post it! :lol:

(HD2 isn't supported as much as I expected....do u think that's true?...for the possibilities it might offer (if well tasted) it could be a huge fun on multiplyer too)

Jason
Administrator

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by Jason » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:17 pm

Yeah I would love to see an editor like the H&D Deluxe editor available to the fans but nope they won't release it for fan use :roll:

sweetbutt
Private

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by sweetbutt » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:10 am

jeeez

the mission where u have to protect the oasis camp it's just fantastic...

the atmosphere is brilliant quiet and with lots of nightair around

and here u can be very very lethal

I love this mission

the highest expression of HD2 so far...

this is I was lookin' for :D

Alexander
Captain

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by Alexander » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:56 am

Always! its very rarely i dont use it :P

and about the tactical map i dont use it ALOT but when i know about a enemy fortiment ahead, like a mg nest, i always use it to flank and to coordinate my troopers to attack. while i use mr david foreman to give support for what my brilliant AI friends dont manage to do.
Rendevouz with destiny!

sweetbutt
Private

Tactics, map and more

Unread post by sweetbutt » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:44 pm

damn'...still think I'm not exlpoiting the AI possibilities enough..

do you think I am?

Today (normandie) a team m8 bumped in front of an enemy taht was staring at me...I saw he could see him I told him OPEN FIRE.....he said SURE! ....but didn't shoot at all.... :shock: he was just lookin' at him...

it's too weird...