Sabre Squadron C3M2 Ponte Grande

Think you're a Hidden & Dangerous 2 pro, discuss your strategies here or ask for help.
pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Fri May 12, 2006 10:31 pm

I was surprised when a German blew up the bridge and Mission Failed came up. Nothing is mentioned in the walkthrough I got off the Internet. After trying 5 of 6 times to find that German I gave up and am about to start over. Can anyone help me with respect to this surprise? Apparently there is a time sequence here about which I was also unaware. And, does anyone know about where to look for this German with the detonator plunger? Thanks in advance.
pukey
pukey123

da fish
Sergeant

Unread post by da fish » Fri May 12, 2006 10:49 pm

looking at the enemy side of the map, he is just behind the first complete building building on the right hand side.

normally speaking i take one man and move him up the right hand side, taking out the enemy patrol, the sniper in the bush and the enemy behind the rock....... plus any more that get in the way........ then take him out from behind.

dont bother taking the dynamite of the bridge before hand expecting it not to blow up, due to the fantastic scripting it still does explode if the plunger is pushed.

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Sat May 13, 2006 2:06 am

[quote=""da fish""]looking at the enemy side of the map, he is just behind the first complete building building on the right hand side.

normally speaking i take one man and move him up the right hand side, taking out the enemy patrol, the sniper in the bush and the enemy behind the rock....... plus any more that get in the way........ then take him out from behind.

dont bother taking the dynamite of the bridge before hand expecting it not to blow up, due to the fantastic scripting it still does explode if the plunger is pushed.[/quote]

Sorry to bother you again da fish: I tried to move through the mission tonite but am a little confused by your message, more likely as a result of my ignorance. When I look across the chasm at the enemy side are you talking about the building on the right? I killed the MG gunner in the window and the sniper behind the bush and rock, both on the left side of the enemy side; but for the life of me I couldn't find the man with the detonator. In fact, I run out of space when I go farther to the left. I also am not sure what you mean when you said to take him out from behind. Does that mean I have to kill off enough bad guys so I can cross the bridge? Please accept my apologies for being so dense. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
pukey
pukey123

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Sat May 13, 2006 12:56 pm

My memory of this is a bit rusty, but removing all of the dynamite from underneath the bridge does stop them blowing it up. Don't know if there's any bug with that, as da fish suggested, it's always worked for me, the only problem is that it's easy to miss a stick or two of the dynamite. It's not clear until you get a message saying the objective has been completed. If you can't find a stick of dynamite, remember to check both sides of each 'arch' - one of the arches has dynamite on each side I think - and it's a good idea to use the tactical map to sweep through and check for the dynamite you've missed. I think the enemies will blow the bridge up once the 'Bridge has been secured' objective is completed, perhaps they do it before that as well though. My tactic is to keep all my men on 'our' side of the canyon at the start, then move two of them down into the canyon under the bridge to clear the dynamite immediately, as quickly as possible. Keep a sniper on the other side with another man for company - either keep your lmg guy here if you have one, or just a rifleman/smg guy and put him on the MG42 or the Browning. Alternatively you could just take everyone under the bridge and go onto the Italian side of the canyon. The important thing is to get the dynamite defused as quickly as possible, before the 'Bridge secured' objective is completed. It's by no means finished after that... 8)
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Sat May 13, 2006 7:15 pm

As quick advices (or "walkthrough"):

1. Send one man (preferably controlled by yourself) to defuse the explosives, remember to keep moving since there are lots of directions to get shot at, put one man to man that MG42 at the left side of the bridge, sniper somewhere left and one man to look for right (presuming you have four men, if you have three then you can improvise).

You can always ask help from other soldiers fighting already, just go close them and they will follow your orders (tactical map won?t work though)

2. Defuse the explosives, be prepared to CQB under the bridge and watch out corners and stones. As I said, there are lots of directions to get shot at.

3. After you?re done, start sneaking up to the right path to get up in their side. Just before you can see someone, I suggest tossing a grenade towards that MG in that fence. Then watch out as you come out, one sniper should be in the bush at far right.

You can also capture other of the MG guys in the right side.

4. Now secure the rest of the area, the plunger guy is right behind that ruined building on the right, remember that it is important to kill that guy as last as it triggers something you do not like.

5. Now you got company from the far edge of their side, now hide this guy in their side of the bridge (you can try to cross the bridge but not recommended unless you like the heat of danger), man one cannon. Wait til Panzer III?s get in clear line of sight, then start shooting to their side (remember ballistic drop of the shell), and try to destroy both with one cannon, I recommend using the one on left.

6. When they are blown up, you can shoot the rest of the shells towards the infrantry if you wish. Eliminate the rest of them, can be easily done with rifleman\sniper on your side of the bridge.

7. When you?re done, look to the left side at your side of the bridge, you should see some soldiers running in the canyon. Now, grab clum bomb (aka "black brick") from a box from your side of the bridge, it is not far from the MG42, or you could do it by alternate way.

A. If you wish to use clum bomb, move the man with the bomb to the other side of the bridge and "hide" him in the ruins at the left, while keeping your other guys away and ready to fire when ready.
You should see more infrantry coming in from the left side of their side of the bridge and a Tiger.

Now, as the Tiger passes you by near the ruins, quickly attach the bomb and be prepared for CQB\mid range firefight. When Tiger blows up, just finish the remaining soldiers and that?s it.

B. Similiar to option A. but instead of risking yourself with the bomb, man the cannon on the right side and use it to destroy the Tiger. Remember that Tiger has lot more thicker armour than Panzer III so it may take several shots to destroy it. I recommend aiming either directly to the side or in the part that connects tower and hull.

As you clear the remaining enemy soldiers, a cutscene should be triggered that it congratulates you completing the objective, then you should see Shermans and British soldiers approaching from the road at your side of the bridge.
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

pukey123
Lieutenant

C3M2 Operation Husky. Pointe Grande

Unread post by pukey123 » Sun May 14, 2006 12:38 am

Oldih, thank you very much for your very detailed walkthrough. It sure looks a lot better than the one I copied from the Internet. Tomorrow and next week I'll try to finish this mission, thanks to you, Drozdov and da fish. You gentlemen on this forum are unique what with your willingness to provide such great assistance to dumb clucks like me. Will keep you posted as soon as I accomplish something with this mission. I have found that Sabre Squadron is quite hard for me (playing Normal) as compared with H&D Deluxe. H&D2 was fairly difficult too. All the best.
pukey
pukey123

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Sun May 14, 2006 7:57 pm

I have found that Sabre Squadron is quite hard for me (playing Normal)
Well 2nd and 3rd operations are rather hard, mainly because (IMO) rather large amount of tanks you need to deal with and you need to literally shoot your way through rather than trying to use element of suprise or ambushing.

But in common, Sabre is rather difficult. Atleast you do not complete it in less than 5 hours, which is bad side in many games nowdays.

But one good note about the 4th operation in Sabre, there are no tanks in it to deal with ;)

pukey123
Lieutenant

C3M2 Operation Husky. Pointe Grande

Unread post by pukey123 » Tue May 16, 2006 5:13 pm

Still having trouble trying to get a man down to the bottom of the bridge. It seems I run out of time. Is there a time constraint in defusing the 5-6 packages of dynamite? That seems to be my main problem, running out of time before the Italian on the detonator plunger blows it to pieces. I'll keep trying; my problem is also compounded because I only have 3 men, losing one during the last mission.
pukey
pukey123

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Tue May 16, 2006 5:26 pm

Well with three men, you can improvise and REMEMBER, you CAN ask the other british soldiers to help you, just go close them and they should follow your orders.

So, I suggest using tactical map to order your other men into positions, and then dash yourself towards some AI soldier with autoweapon (BAR, Sten, whatever), then dash under the bridge. I recommend that you keep moving and check every possible direction in case of the enemy fire.

You really need to know someway how the enemies are under the bridge, but mainly you need to keep moving, need to have some sort of reflexes to aim quickly. You can order this extra NPC to defuse the bombs while you yourself are clearing the surrounding area.

But if you have 3x men only, I believe you can have 3x NPC`s as help then, but in any case, use these other NPC?s (aka British soldiers fightning already there) as help and make good use of that MG42.

This is actually one of the few missions where you have some sort of feeling "being" in frontline, since there are lots of directions to get shot at.

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:59 pm

[quote=""Oldih""]Well with three men, you can improvise and REMEMBER, you CAN ask the other british soldiers to help you, just go close them and they should follow your orders.

So, I suggest using tactical map to order your other men into positions, and then dash yourself towards some AI soldier with autoweapon (BAR, Sten, whatever), then dash under the bridge. I recommend that you keep moving and check every possible direction in case of the enemy fire.

You really need to know someway how the enemies are under the bridge, but mainly you need to keep moving, need to have some sort of reflexes to aim quickly. You can order this extra NPC to defuse the bombs while you yourself are clearing the surrounding area.

But if you have 3x men only, I believe you can have 3x NPC`s as help then, but in any case, use these other NPC?s (aka British soldiers fightning already there) as help and make good use of that MG42.

This is actually one of the few missions where you have some sort of feeling "being" in frontline, since there are lots of directions to get shot at.[/quote]

Thanks oldih for your advice. I know it's going to be helpful if I can just get the timing down. Below the bridge there appears to be only 1 or 2 coming from right of the bridge; and 1 on the rocks to the left of the bridge. On several occasions I was able to defuse 4 of the 5-6 bombs, before killed. Am I working against a time constraint before the bridge is blown by the enemy? And, if I can get 1 or 2 allies to help, how do they defuse the bombs? Again my thanks.
pukey
pukey123

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Wed May 17, 2006 8:48 am

I presume you know how to give normal voice commands for your men, so same way you give order to these extra NPC`s.

Press the corresponding numpad key (F.E. my 5th guy, then I would press numpad 5), then press the button which opens "Action" submenu, and then point yourself towards the tnt and then select "Defuse" and they should do it, presuming AI won?t bug or they don?t get stuck on some object; it has happened to me twice.

TomStone
Private

Re: Sabre Squadron C3M2 Ponte Grande

Unread post by TomStone » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:59 pm

I just finished this mission last night. For anyone 'giving it another go' or coming to the game for the first time (I'm sure people are still discovering this games excellence) I noticed something that might help.

On dealing with the Italians who blow the bridge with the plunger: I noticed during several play-thrus that the first Italian 'demolition man' will sit for a few minutes in the open at the very far end of the bridge (Italian side) before sneaking behind the building to the plunger. Kill him before he moves off and you'll effectively get a time extension to move some men across and deal wiht the situation properly.