C2M1 Sabre Squadron - Op Heat Mouse in the House

Think you're a Hidden & Dangerous 2 pro, discuss your strategies here or ask for help.
pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Tue May 02, 2006 7:27 pm

I made it to the center court of the prison, set up my men per the walkthrough, went down to the basement, killed the guards and released the 2 American prisoners. I had the prisoners wait behind doors and proceeded out to the courtyard while watching the one door where a bad guy pops out. However, most if not all my men get killled each time, even though I've changed their positions. This happens even though the mines I previously set kill a number of the Germans.
I would be most grateful if someone can point me in the right direction as to just how to place my men. Thanks in advance.
pukey
pukey123

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Wed May 03, 2006 7:03 am

I think the best tactic (atleast if you wish to save your men and let AI play *stupid*) is just camp at the basement, then yourself, go to the door, watch out and shoot some bullets towards them and quickly dash back to basement.

Usually they should follow you and if that happens, you have firing squad waiting there to finish them.

This may take several tries to get them follow but it took me only like 2-3 times before they all came in so-called "chocolate train".
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Wed May 03, 2006 5:34 pm

[quote="Oldih"]I think the best tactic (atleast if you wish to save your men and let AI play *stupid*) is just camp at the basement, then yourself, go to the door, watch out and shoot some bullets towards them and quickly dash back to basement.

Usually they should follow you and if that happens, you have firing squad waiting there to finish them.

This may take several tries to get them follow but it took me only like 2-3 times before they all came in so-called "chocolate train".[/quote

Thank you very much oldih. I don't know what I would do without your help. Your advice will sure be tried. One thing I haven't done is to concentrate on the Germans coming through the door at the far right corner of the courtyard. Everything else hasn't worked no matter where I place my men. All the best.
pukey
pukey123

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Wed May 03, 2006 7:27 pm

[quote=""Oldih""]I think the best tactic (atleast if you wish to save your men and let AI play *stupid*) is just camp at the basement, then yourself, go to the door, watch out and shoot some bullets towards them and quickly dash back to basement.

This may take several tries to get them follow but it took me only like 2-3 times before they all came in so-called "chocolate train".[/quote]

Oldih, your suggestion worked like a charm. First I tried my tactic and got killed several times. Then I tried yours and the second time it worked. Then I fought my way back to the Jeeps; didn't realize there were still a number of Germans out there.
Anyway, once again my sincerest thanks for your help. On to the next mission.
By the way, after finishing H&D2, H&D Deluxe, I think Sabre Squadron is much harder, at least the first two missions.
pukey
pukey123

Mr_Frost
Private

I love this game !!!

Unread post by Mr_Frost » Thu May 04, 2006 4:30 pm

The best "second half" strategy that worked for me was keeping a prone sub gunner w/nades on a rooftop overlooking the main entrance and streets. Once the pilots are released and the Germans come pouring out towards the building; I have the guy on the roof start chucking grenades as far as he can; they land right in front of the doors if he's on the correct building. After the first one goes off you'll see a crowd gather at "ground zero" to investigate. Another grenade in the same spot and 10 germans flying in every direction and smacking into walls. It's very entertaining and gets most of them right away. When the stragglers creep over too , either 1 more grenade or a couple of quick bursts gets em.

Then the guys in the basement can carefully stroll out and mop up. This also works good with a guy on the roof of the prison to take out the sniper and roof baddies at the same time as the overwatch player commences spamming.

This game has so many cool strategies in it.
Now, if I could just figure out how to play H&D2 while i'm at work.

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Fri May 05, 2006 7:58 am

The hardest part actually (IMHO) was when you had to escape from the area. It was not really so difficult overall (atleast after I completed it) but you had to keep moving alot and you had to literally run ?n gun every enemy you saw in order to avoid getting your team killed.

But on the other hand, one very fun tactic (not realistic and reguires lots of luck but very fun to do) is to take one of the jeeps in the beginning and just drive all the way to the prison, while you give weapon orchestra to your enemies.
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

Mr_Frost
Private

Unread post by Mr_Frost » Fri May 05, 2006 8:53 pm

I just tried that the other day. Funny thing, when I raced to the prison and pulled up to the front door and finished blasting, my comrades were all dead. I'm not sure when they died, but it was a pretty fun trip. Then I saw a potato masher roll up to the jeep........ :shock:

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Fri May 05, 2006 11:46 pm

Hehe, the enemies love their grenades on that mission. I hate that bastard on the wall that always chucks a grenade down at you, I'd made the mistake of saving just before he went to throw it once, had a job trying to get all my squad out of the way in time. :evil:
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Mon May 08, 2006 5:53 pm

Thanks for all the tips gentlemen. I particularly liked the one about a man on the roof with grenades; and the suggestion from Oldih that worked so well. I'll try Mr_Frost's suggestion the next time around. All the best.
pukey
pukey123

Mr_Frost
Private

Grenades are fun for everyone

Unread post by Mr_Frost » Mon May 08, 2006 6:03 pm

Yes they do love their grenades in this level. I was moving across the rooftops recently and a gaurd below saw me and threw a grenade straight up to me and it fell back down and "BAM" he flew out into the street. I started laughing at that point. :P I like to get them to do aerial cartwheels with grenades sometimes.

Physics engine + grenades = Fun. :D

Edit: Pukey, I was replaying this one over the weekend, and the rooftop I used was the one that connects to the prison rooftop, but before the door that connects the two. And be forewarned, if you're spotted, they will be up there in seconds.