Surrender??

Think you're a Hidden & Dangerous 2 pro, discuss your strategies here or ask for help.
adam-njrotc
Private

Surrender??

Unread post by adam-njrotc » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:16 pm

I was just wondering if their is any sure way to get the enemy to surrender. Thanks. :)

Lars
Commando

Surrender??

Unread post by Lars » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:14 am

Yes, remove the items.dat from the map you play and they will all be unarmed and surrender :lol:

Drozdov
Major

Surrender??

Unread post by Drozdov » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:43 am

Hehe, even then it's not sure, some of them are psychotic bastards and just keep running away from you whenever you go near them!

Shooting the weapon out of their hands is a sure way, but actually managing to shoot their weapon out of their hands is not so sure. I've never managed it intentionally. :?

Yelling 'BOO!' at them loudly in close quarters also works a treat.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Oldih
Global Moderator

Surrender??

Unread post by Oldih » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:52 am

One way to get some enemies surrender (scripted usually), are that just go close enough and fire couple of shots. There are some random enemies, like in C6M2 I?ve seen two random cases where enemy has surrendered, but usually they are scripted.
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

adam-njrotc
Private

Surrender??

Unread post by adam-njrotc » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:03 pm

Thanks a lot, I'll try removing the items.dat. I've tried shooting the weapon out of their hands, I could never do it either. One thing I did notice though is that if you get another one of your team mates to do an action, the capture option is not available on the people I've managed to corner and try to shoot their weapon out of their hand. Thanks again. :)

adam-njrotc
Private

Surrender??

Unread post by adam-njrotc » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:08 am

I haven't had a lot of time to try removing the items.dat file, but I was looking for it today and couldn't find it. Can you tell me the folder its in? Thanks.

Lars
Commando

Surrender??

Unread post by Lars » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:24 am

You will only find it when you unpack the missions.dta with the unpacker from this site. Than you will find it in the e.g. _missions\czech1\ folder. You have to move the czech1 folder to your missions folder (if you don?t have any create one) and than you might be able to play the mission with unarmed enemies. But it can also be that hd2 will than take the normal still existing items.dat from the dta file. Than you should rename the dta for the time you will play the map. Easiest way is to extract the complete missions.dta and move it to hd2\missions and remove the items from all missions. Than to rename the missions.dta to e.g. missions_old.dta.
But be warned. The missions you will play than will have bugs! They are the one from the first release

Elshortso
Private

Re: Surrender??

Unread post by Elshortso » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:38 pm

Lars, thanks for your help with this! Just one thought:

After removing the item-files every german (and japanese) surrendered. I never get the Japanese to surrender (do you?) so I thought that this would be a great opportunity to get hold of, and run around in a japanese uniform. When I captured them, I discovered that they had absolutely nothing in their inventory, not even their uniform. I guess this is a logical consequence by removing the item-file. When weapons disappear, everything else disappear. Or am I doing something wrong? Do you experience the same after removing the item-file?

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:16 pm

Well its to long agoo that I played SP. But you might be right that there was never an japanese soilder that surrenders

MxCommando
Private

Unread post by MxCommando » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:56 am

Hi, it's been a long time but I can say I managed to get a Japanese to surrender in the 1st Burma map.  I had sent numbers 3 and 4 to the main entrance to the camp, and 2 and I were storming the back (where the MG bunker is).  Saw a guy walking out from one of the bungalows (he was one of the pistol carrying ones), missed a shot over his head.  Then he turned around, walked a couple of paces, turned back again and surrendered.  I was absolutely delighted!  I wonder if you can pass yourself off as a japanese soldier?
I guess I just had a lot of luck
BTW it was on easy mode, I was getting the hang of the game again after a long absence.

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:14 am

Interesting discussion. I really wish there was a method knocking out or killing enemies using hand to hand or knives that would allow you to take a uniform without blood stains.

I've had several surrender at one time in the Spaghetti Airport situation. And only once did I capture a Jap. It is mostly scripted. There is surrendering scripted in several missions providing those with a more methodical and stealthy approach to acquire uniforms. Of course it would have been great to have clothing as an item which could be picked up like in the original.
They Dared and Won..... And They Were Hidden and Dangerous.
1941-1945

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:59 am

I reckon you might already know this but if you dont:
Rename the items.dat in the/any mission folder, this will remove all their inventory, it will also make the tanks ammoless (is this a word?) but the MGs still have ammo so be careful approaching those, cannot remember if the flacks still have ammo. 99% will surrender, there are one or two that will just refuse & keep on running away from you. This is a good way to have a look around any new maps that come out.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:53 am

I didn't know that :lol:, thanks Grimples!
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Thinkshooter
Private

Unread post by Thinkshooter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:28 pm

Elshortso wrote: I never get the Japanese to surrender (do you?)
I know one surrender monkey in the Japanese camp in Burma, check out my HD2 speedrun video on Youtube if you haven't seen it:
Hidden and Dangerous 2 in 80 minutes on Youtube

He's at 42 minutes 42 seconds onwards.
Last edited by Thinkshooter on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foxsch
Corporal

Unread post by Foxsch » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:41 pm

I got the guy who is hiding behind the wall on the left as you enter the Brest U-Boat pen area once - fair shook me up - He had his arms in the air, but I had missed one of the guys on the stairs to the upstairs office (think it was one of those) who them got me before I could capture and attempt to take the uniform. Would have been interesting to wander about the pens for a bit undetected, but I haven't managed this surrender since....This was Lone Wolf btw
Stealth, Cooperation & Tactics