C4M1 - Mission failed?

Think you're a Hidden & Dangerous 2 pro, discuss your strategies here or ask for help.
Rehsalps
Private

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Rehsalps » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:50 pm

I was playing the first Burma map on very hard when I suddenly, without doing nothing, got "Mission failed". All I had done was destroying the bridge and clearing the bunkers west of the camp and south of the main road. What did I do wrong? The only ways I know to get "Mission failed" on this map is to either lose all your men, or to destroy the equipment before taking the documents. But I had 4 men still alive, and I hadn't even walked near the camp! Did the AI blow up their equipment on their own? Or is there a time limit I didn't notice?

I hate failing missions on very hard, now I have to choose all my men and equipment again because of the stupid no-save-thing =(

Oldih
Global Moderator

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Oldih » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:31 pm

Did you know that you have time limit in the first Burma mission until you discover the plane parts in camp?

I had once same problem that mission failed without a reason, then I noticed this time limit.

It sould be displayed in lower-left corner of the HUD.
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

Drozdov
Major

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Drozdov » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:31 pm

I didn't know that! Surprised it didn't catch me out last time I played it, I spent ages being stealthy and crawling around, must have been a pretty close thing.

Had the same problem with Libya 1 first time I played it, didn't realise there was a time limit until near the end. Had a fun time trying to get out of the prison area in time with all those tanks and Germans running around...

Hate those H&D time limits, they don't warn you about them and they're very hard to see!
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:05 pm

It tells you in the briefing Drozy...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Drozdov
Major

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Drozdov » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:03 am

Aye, but H&D briefings often say things like 'you must do this quickly or 200 Germans will crawl out of the earth and eat your soul!'. And often it doesn't actually matter in game. It should mention it in the mission objectives list.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:02 am

It keeps you on your toes; if you ignore your orders and overall battle plan, you deserve to fail...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Rehsalps
Private

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Rehsalps » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:19 am

Wow, I've played this map dozens of time at normal and hard and I've never noticed the timer. Seems like it only starts if you blow up the bridge before you attack the camp. Make sense I guess, the japs here the sound and destroy the documents/equipment.

Oldih
Global Moderator

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Oldih » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:12 pm

Well it is not starting from the moment you blow the bridge, it is from the beginning of the map.

Makes sense though, since they might be planning to move them away from there ASAP.

And if I remember correctly, you have around 15mins in normal, 10mins in hard and 5mins in very hard.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:07 pm

For me the timer pops up when you destroy the bridge...

Grimples
Major

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Grimples » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:42 pm

Never noticed. Never had a mission failed. I like to do this map (as with most maps really) silent, & i like to take my time same as Drozdov. Just had a look & i am playing on hard, after blowing the bridge the timer clicked in to 15:00. Last time i played (2 weeks ago) i blew the bridge & worked my way slowly clockwise, leaving the village till last & no mission failed came up, definately took me more than 15 mins.

Oldih
Global Moderator

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Oldih » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:34 pm

For me the timer pops up when you destroy the bridge...
Yeah I remembered wrong, tested that couple of hours ago.
And I tested that I secured the camp first and then blew up the bridge, nevertheless, both makes sense:

1. If you blow bridge on sight, the japanese troops on the camp hears them and are ready to transport them out of there.

2. If you secure camp first and blow the bridge, the explosion may be heard from distance and reinforcements might be sent in.

Or something like that.

I suggest you clear the camp first, then the road down to the extraction point and then blow up the bridge. Then you should not have problems with time limits.

Drozdov
Major

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Drozdov » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:24 am

I hate time limits... I wish, instead of just getting a 'Mission Failed', you got 200 Japanese soldiers for company. Would have been great using the bunkers to fight them! Though I imagine it wouldn't be able to handle so many...

And yes, it's different if you get 'Mission Failed' if the time runs out before you get to the village and they can transport the parts away. Although, even then you should be able to stop them... they can't magic them away after all.

Oldih
Global Moderator

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Oldih » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:31 am

they can't magic them away after all
Well I?ve seen once AI jap coming up with a knife (bug or something?) and it pwned two of my soldiers before I realized that he had a knife.

So they are japanese, everything is possible ;)

Grimples
Major

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Grimples » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:30 pm

they can't magic them away after all
I dunno about that Droz, they seem to magic themselves into the game behind you when you think you have cleared your rear.

Cinnander
Corporal

C4M1 - Mission failed?

Unread post by Cinnander » Sun May 14, 2006 9:54 pm

Been trying to work out what this timer does..

I dont know what started it but it started, at 15:00, and so being the curious type I hid my guy and when and had a shower.

I had:
- Blown the bridge
- 'Secured' the village (might have been a couple hiding tho)
- Found the documents
- NOT Located/Identified the parts,

Came back and ...
- No change ;P

Just about to complete, will see if there's reinforcements or whatever.

Edit.
Seems that timer starts when the bridge blows (regardless of whether village/bunkers/etc are cleared).
Timer stops when you find the parts.
Mission fails if you don't find the parts in time, but NOT (I don't think) if you find the documents but not the parts.
// cinn