Operation Snowball Mission 3-Rendevous

Think you're a Hidden & Dangerous 2 pro, discuss your strategies here or ask for help.
pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:30 am

I'm at the point where I'm supposed to send my sniper and one man - not me, the current team leader - to scout out the factory complex, kill any remaining Germans - and determine if the ship/boat is at the pier. My problem is:
In this mission "Tactical Mode" does not seem to be operative. So, when I, the team leader of only 3 men, want to send the other two into the complex and ensure the ship/boat is in place, how do I send them in other than making one of them the leader and have the other man follow? I am inclined to practice what I learned a long time ago in the Marine Corps - IMPROVISE!
I sure am pleased with the help given me, but worry - am I the only guy playing this game right now? And I look forward to any and all responses. Thank you.
pukey
pukey123

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:11 am

You sure the tactical map is disabled? I remember I always use the tactical map at the start of that mission in order to quickly take up positions to defeat the German counter-attack.

Remember you can give them (imprecise) movement orders using the command menu - only works if you can see where you want them to move though, and of course, once they've moved to the location and they're far away there's not much you can do with them.

I'd suggest you just control one of them and have the other man follow him.

By the way, have you rescued the pilot yet? You can equip him with a captured or spare weapon, just to add to the firepower of the squad. Right click on him to bring up the action menu and select inventory, then just move the weapon into his hands and he'll use it.

I don't think you're the only one playing H&D 2, but maybe the only one on this forum playing the SP campaign for the first time. Several of us still play it online.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:25 am

Well, atleast he will keep this forum active, asking for help after every mission!
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:38 am

Well, as it sounds, you should use swamp as shortcut; in the first mission of Op. Snowball, if you did things silently, Syguard led you through swamp (which is good shortcut and allows you to gain easily def. positions in the factory area and then eliminate Germans around). But if you cannot remember the path, I suggest you take one man by road, armed with Rifle\something like that. Then just get to the house, eliminate any resistance, eguip the pilot with SMG for firepower and get back and fast. (it is not an option to leave the pilot without *real* gun, since he gets killed pretty fast then)

The return may be pretty hard by the road by one man, but not impossible. You just need to play hide and seek pretty much.

After you have done that, just get to the harbour, the boat should be there and just get close to it and that?s it.

And to get men moving, use voice command menu (default numpad; 0 for all, 1 for 1st man, 2 for 2nd man etc), point direction for safely place and give "Move there" command for both, that should do the trick.
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:43 pm

Thanks Drozdov, for your comments and advice. I tried to implement the tactical map several times, but do not remember whether I tried to use it at the beginning. I have rescued the pilot and right now he is at the truck with one other man. I didn't know how to equip him but do now, thanks to you. When I finish this phase of Operation Snowball, I'll replay to see if the tactical map will work.
I just bought this game, knowing nothing about it; it's a really good game and I appreciate the help from you folks on the Forum.

And thank you for your comment, ViTaMiHnM203.

Oldih, your advice and comments are also appreciated, along with some good advice. I'm just outside the main gate and fence and will enter it utilizing a hole in the fence that I made earlier on. I made it through the swamp the first time around but came by road, along with the pilot, leaving him at the truck.

Thanks again to all who have been kind enough to respond to my messages for help.
pukey
pukey123

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:20 pm

Are you patched up to 1.12?

Are you sure you didnt change your tac map key?
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:51 pm

Yeah, I suggest patching to 1.12 for AI improvements overall and for bit more bug-free game + some new features (like holding breath while sniping etc)

http://hidden-and-dangerous.net/files/h ... ch1_12.zip

Also, you can eguip NPC by using voice command while pointing towards gun (numpad - action - take, or when pointing to a body, search), or that you go close to him, select inventory- from action menu and swap one of your weapon\give your weapon and ammo to him and pick new one from ground for yourself.

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:46 pm

[quote=""-ViTaMiHnM203-""]Are you patched up to 1.12?

Are you sure you didnt change your tac map key?[/quote]

Yes sir, I am patched up to 1.12.0
Thanks for calling this to my attention.
pukey
pukey123

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:53 am

Pukey, have you tried playing online. You can learn loads of stuff playing Deathmatch. I played HnD2 for over a year in SP because i had a pirated :oops: version, in the end i went out & bought the HnD2 & SS package for ?20, it's the first NEW game i have ever bought & well was worth the money :D
Playing online will improve your skills & knowledge of the game tremendously.

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:54 pm

[quote=""Grimples""]Pukey, have you tried playing online. You can learn loads of stuff playing Deathmatch. I played HnD2 for over a year in SP because i had a pirated :oops: version, in the end i went out & bought the HnD2 & SS package for ?20, it's the first NEW game i have ever bought & well was worth the money :D
Playing online will improve your skills & knowledge of the game tremendously.[/quote]

Thanks for your message Grimples. Some years back I did a lot of multiplayer games and was miserably bad. So I'm back to single player; but once in a while get the urge to try multi player again. I'm a slow learner; example, just today I discovered that Tactical Mode is available by using the caps lock key, not the spacebar. I really like the game and only wish I knew about it much earlier. Even though it's almost 3 years old it's right up there with many of the current offerings. Thanks again. pukey
pukey123

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:58 pm

[quote=""-ViTaMiHnM203-""]Are you patched up to 1.12?

Are you sure you didnt change your tac map key?[/quote]

Today I discovered that I can access the Tactical Map by using the caps lock key. My instruction manual said to use the space key. I'm now playing with this function and plan to use it once I become more proficient. Thanks for your assistance.
pukey
pukey123

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:34 pm

Well you can always customize your key settings if you don?t like the originals.

pukey123
Lieutenant

Unread post by pukey123 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:37 pm

[quote=""Oldih""]Well you can always customize your key settings if you don?t like the originals.[/quote]

Now that I know where the Tactical Map key is located I am very comfortable with the other keys; at least now. Thanks for your suggestion oldih. pukey
pukey123

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:02 pm

I usually don?t stick with the defaults, since when you got used into one combination of common keys (+ some keys which are only used in some games, like my L button for tac.map in H&D2), it is hard to get used to other ones. But whatever you like man :P