Stuck rescuing flyers

Think you're a Hidden & Dangerous 2 pro, discuss your strategies here or ask for help.
Asdercat
Private

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Asdercat » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:53 am

Hi , I am stuck on the mission to rescue the flyers imprisoned in the centre of town. I have got to the prison, killed all the guards and found a key but cant find the prisoners. The upstairs room doesnt seem to be an opening door when I get close to it , nothing. I have run around the entire building and cant find them , even up to the roof. I assume it has something to do with the rooms which have doors which wont open ?

If anybody can help i would much appreciate. thanks.

Lars
Commando

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Lars » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:39 am

If you enter the prisonbuilding go north/left trough 2 doors donwstairs... there you will find them ;)

Oldih
Global Moderator

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Oldih » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:17 am

The prisoners are in basement of the house which is located in the map. I had same problems first but then I realized that there was a basement with couple of Germans and then a prisons and pilots around there.
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

Asdercat
Private

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Asdercat » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:14 pm

Thanks Lars & Oldih , I did find the door , dont know how I missed it now!!!.
Of course once i found the door i did run out of time which someone else has mentioned on another topic so I had to restart the mission anyway!!. Very sneaky that little timer on the bottom left I never noticed it before.

Thanks again.

Oldih
Global Moderator

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Oldih » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:17 am

That sneaky timer is optional objective, not really necessary ;)

But it is not that hard to complete it, atleast in normal\hard (with expection of AI ?beraccuracy sometimes while playing with hard)

Jason
Administrator

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Jason » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:02 pm

Yeah the AI tend to pop out of no where in hard and score headshots :?

I just played this mission in HARD, the part where they rush in after you find the men is really difficult in hard. I just stood at the bottom of the stairs and waited for them all to come to me :oops: but that still took me like 10 tries :lol:
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Drozdov
Major

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Drozdov » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:00 pm

I had a hellish time with the enemies rushing in after you free the pilots, largely because most of my men were left outside the building sitting on their arses smoking, and at the point I saved the enemies were just coming around the corners and massacring them before they even turned around. :evil: Eventually managed to kill them all without losing any men after god-knows-how-many retries and various strategies tried with the tactical map. Probably would have been quicker just to restart the whole mission.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Asdercat
Private

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Asdercat » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:07 pm

Anybody also notice how the "stupid" unarmed airmen usually rush up the stairs ahead of the player character who says "follow" and promplty stop in the open and get shot to pieces ?

I tried again and this time deliberately waited at the bottom and armed them with a spare pistol and mp40 just in case they did it again and this helped a lot. (although I still got shot in the back by ONE of my own squad members who didnt even say sorry , just kept going BANG " in my line of fire" BANG ahhhh " in my line of fire" etc etc

Anybody tried this one as lone wolf yet ?

Jason
Administrator

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Jason » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:43 pm

Lone Wolf :shock: in hard? :shock:

Even in normal it would be a challenge I reckon. Hrmmm :roll:

I'll have to start SS in Lone Wolf, I started the original H&D2 missions the other day, suprisingly easy so far :shock: and thats in hard. But the first missions aren't very difficult.

Rafterman
Private

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Rafterman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:06 am

I am having problems with this one, Op-Heat, Mouse In The House. I am playing Lone Wolf on Normal. I can get to the flyboys, release them arm them and even escape the building and hide out on one of the rooftops but I just can't make it back to the meeting point, too much resistance. I have tried clearing a path stealthly with my De Lisle C C slienced gun but there are just too many Germans between me and freedom. I have tried bringing the flyboys along with me but even though they are armed we are no match for the Germans out on the streets. Once a shot is heard they come pouring out in numbers from all angles. I did wonder if I should have taken the Jeep with me initially but I'm not sure I'd even make it to the prison using it. Anyone got any ideas how to complete this one.

Jason
Administrator

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Jason » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:33 am

Oh I had a fun time with this baby in Lone Wolf on hard :)

This is what I done.

I packed a thompson, not my favourite MG but perfect for this mission and I packed a springfield sniper rifle, grenades too. Make sure you have plenty of ammo for the thompson. Don't even try to take this level by stealth. This mission is pure nazi-killing action fun :twisted: First off, snipe the guards on the wall. There is about 4 of them. Kill the guards around the main gate but go through the entrance on the right side. Using the ally, grenades and boxes you can easily kill, dodge bullets from the rush of guards! This will make your escape easy. You seem to only have trouble getting out. So just use the rest of your plan fine but killing all the surrounding guards before you have the POWs will make your escape easy. Just go the way you came out.

I think the hardest part for me was killing the rush of guards after you get the POWs :shock:, that was SO difficult.

Hope this helps... Good luck! and welcome to the boards :D

Oldih
Global Moderator

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Oldih » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:03 am

One good way to get the mission alone is to start cornerwhoring and pack yourself with MP40 and K98k, you get atleast ammo for it.

I tried this (not in lone wolf but only me in the squad), and it worked. Since MP40 is the most accuratest SMG in the game and Kar is good to take those snipers around, you got deadly combination.

And since you get enough ammo for MP40 and K98k, you don?t have that problem. And if you arm those pilots, I suggest giving "Fire at will" command, and if you are in their line of fire, change formation or hit the dirt in the moment.

Column is a good formation in many ways but it tend to has this AI problem. Wided up or tighted up- formations would work beter, but in tight formation enemy likes to score multikill by grenade.

And best way, IMO, is to go from the left and return from the right. Then you don?t encouter that pesky tank (atleast I didn?t) and even you need to kill more people, returning same way has same problems and also that pesky tank.

And for Jason: IMO, Thompson is the coolest allied SMG you can get. Even Sten is more beter in many ways, Thompson is just cool weapon ;)

LondonSAS
Sergeant

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by LondonSAS » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:29 am

Take the 4 anti personnel mines you are allowed for this mission, plant them at the entrances to the lobby above the cellar BEFORE you free the airmen, then fire off a few shots to attract the krauts, then sit on the stairs and listen to the fireworks. The ones that you don't get with the mines you can finish off by hoiking grenades up the stairs. Piss easy.

Cinnander
Corporal

Stuck rescuing flyers

Unread post by Cinnander » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:37 pm

I'd use a guy lying prone opposite the doors (near to or behind cover if possible) with a Bren, OR put a guy up on the roof bit who can drop grenades and rain lead on the incoming krauts with a sten.

Bear in mind that the door to the upstairs sniper bit is set to LOCKED as soon as the attack starts, and a rifle kraut spawns up there (so be playing the guy who is on the roof as soon as you rescue the prisoners, and slot him).
If your upstairs guy draws attention it will send many of the incoming krauts up the stairs (just past the panzerschreck), so giving this dude as I said some nades and a machine pistol is wise. Only the incoming krauts can open the locked door, so if you have a guy up here make sure it's him that gets the attention of gerry.

Once the prison has cooled off, pick a guy with a carbine or similar, dial 022 and go out either entrance (if you go out the large front doors beware the sniper that opens the window right in front of you as you walk out), head to the left and into that narrow alleyway (up some gentle steps - beware the tank which will be behind you), head past the market stands and liquidate any krauts along the way (carbines are quite handy).
Kill any wall patrols who you haven't already pegged (they throw nades). Keep going towards the wall, you get to two german trucks parked in front of a white building, look at one of the trucks and dial 031, then turn to the immediate right of the trucks and up, there's another sniper behind a closed window who pops out when you get into the trucks. An MP40 guy can sometimes come from down the alley directly in front of the trucks behind a low wall.

Jump your final guy into the truck and drive like buggery out the main entrance to the waiting LRDG patrol. If you're lucky you won't get a wall-top-guard-makes-headshot-to-driver-of-moving-truck, so the getaway is fairly easy.
// cinn