ponte grande

Think you're a Hidden & Dangerous 2 pro, discuss your strategies here or ask for help.
teraus
Private

ponte grande

Unread post by teraus » Fri May 06, 2005 11:13 am

I am getting frustrated playing this mission because i cant knock out the tanks. I end up being killed by the tanks. I have some dynamite on me but there are no red markers to place it. what is required to blow up these tanks
apart from this I have been going realy well

capthavoc
Lieutenant

ponte grande

Unread post by capthavoc » Fri May 06, 2005 11:23 am

Use stickies on the tank just like in libya
those are the litlle black walktie talk looking explosive in the explosive section of your ammo setup

stick it on 10 sec and boom

you should test youre placing skills in the libya mission on a truck or something

LondonSAS
Sergeant

ponte grande

Unread post by LondonSAS » Fri May 06, 2005 12:17 pm

Capt
There are loads of ways to kill those beasts. My favoured way is to kit your strongest man out with a bazooka when you start Sicily 1 (the gun emplacements). You dont need to take shells, as you can grab all you need when you've finished with the guns, there's plenty of ammo crates in the bunker. I take the bazooka mainly cos the Panzerschreck you can pick up in the bunker is a lot less likely to get a kill first shot.
Take a couple of spare shells with you, so you've got em for Ponte Grande. When you arrive, up by the bridge on the left hand side, there is an ammo crate full of sticky bombs (note: dynamite is no good)....grab a couple of them, or get the guy(s) that you can take control of from the other SAS squad to load up and use them as mules (they're expendable!!).
There are also two PAK40 anti-tank guns on this side of the bridge, one on the extreme left, the other over on the far right. If you're playing the game on Medium, or even Hard, you could leave a squad member on this side of the bridge to man one of the PAKs when the tanks arrive. The left hand one will take out the left hand tank (as you're facing across the bridge) and the one that comes down the central street. It could theoretically even get the Tiger, but the longer you stay on the guns, the more chance there is you'll be sniped or killed by tank fire. You also have limited ammo (5 shots per gun methinks). I usually just do one tank with the PAK. Don't try this on Very Hard tho, unless you've exhausted all other options....you'll be brown bread pretty sharpish, and there's no F5 quicksave!!
The Tiger and the MkIV that sits in the middle of the street are easy to take out, provided you've killed all of the infantry around them, as their turrets wont swing round as you approach. The one thats on the far left is harder tho. It will track movement, so you need to get behind the turret. You can crawl unseen as far as the rocks on the ridge behind the tank, but generally from there you need a diversion. I tend to throw a grenade in the direction you want the turret to be facing in order to sneak up and effect your kill, the turret turns to the direction it thinks the explosion came from.
Be careful here as there is a wop sniper laying down behind one of the rocks. You need to slot him before you approach the tank, so if you can use a team member with a silenced weapon, so much the better.
Hope this helps.
LondonSAS

Drozdov
Major

ponte grande

Unread post by Drozdov » Fri May 06, 2005 2:17 pm

Ponte Grande is probably the easiest SS mission. All you need is one soldier with a sniper rifle (and a close range weapon, you'll need that occasionally). Sit next to the left hand PAK gun and snipe away. You will have to get up at some point to defuse all the explosives - bring a close range weapon for this, grab a garand/BAR from a dead ally if you don't have something already. Wait for the tanks to come and blow them up with the PAK. You have 8 shells I believe, so don't waste them. Wait until the first two tanks are in position before you fire - it's almost impossible to hit them when they're coming down the road before the town. Once they reach the town, fire! Snipe the troops that come with them. Then wait for the Tiger tank to come along the road from the left. Hit it with the PAK 40 - I believe you have to hit it twice. If you don't do it quickly enough there's a chance it will hit you with its cannon, but you should be ok. Beware the infantry that comes up the hill to the left of the PAK cannon on your side of the ravine. It's a good idea to lay a mine or two at the top of the cliff they climb up to kill a few of them.

At the end, you may have to cross the bridge to kill any soldiers left hiding in the ruins on the other side. Apart from that, stay on your side of the ravine and fire away!
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

BFI
Private

ponte grande

Unread post by BFI » Fri May 06, 2005 7:48 pm

i just take 3 sticky bombs with me, thompson and an m1, right for the word go run down the right hand side of the bridge down the cliffs, defuse all the bombs then pop up the other side, the only guy that can cause a problem is the one in the bushes on the right (straight ahead as u come up the slope) can be easier to get him from the other side at the start, but wastes time.

once the tanks start comin mop up some infantry stayin near the right hand buildings then run behind the first tank slap on some explosives, carry on toward the other tank moppin up neone in the way, 2 tanks down,

the next part changes with how long it takes to take out the first 2 tanks, if ur quick u can get behind the left wall far, left side of the map and rifle most of the infantry early on, then pop out and put a bomb on the tank as it rolls by, thatts it ur free to mop up all infantry. If ur late u can be in trouble but if u stay in the first right building, (allied side of the east west road the tank rolls along,

you can get explosives on the tank without exposing urself too much, n the tank is busy with the bridge so dont worry bout it, once hes gone ur sorted.

its usually fool proof, however i havent tried it on VH yet so might need a different tactic.

AK
Private

ponte grande

Unread post by AK » Fri May 06, 2005 11:46 pm

My technique for this mission involves leaving a fire-support team consisting of my light-gunner (BREN, usually) and a marksman behind on 'our' side of the valley, gunning down infantry contacts and generally keeping our asses safe so that the fucking Eye-Ties don't come across in raiding force and kill most of the AI before I've a chance to take them down.

I take two across, both usually with semiautomatic rifles, occassionally with Lee Enfields (I'm generally carrying enough ammunition at the start of Op. Husky to keep my Commonwealth weaponry), kill everyone off, and this after I defuse the charges.

At which point, Panzerknacking comes into it's own. You get a rifleman to keep the infantry back off the tanks, ideally wipe them out.

At which stage, the second man should return from across the bridge with a good load of those three kilogram 'black stickies' (Gammon Bomb-kinda things) for attachment to the older-model medium tanks and the Panzer-VI Tiger.

If you're going to use the PaK(-40, I believe) guns, aim at the upper edge of the road-wheels. You'll generally destroy a medium tank with a single round that way, as the hull is substantially weaker there.

The Tiger it's best to engage with the gammon-bombs: kill the infantry that keep up with the tank, pop out, charge the tank, pop back into cover, and then go back to gunning the infantry. If you're behind cover, the blast won't kill you if the tank detonates prematurely, while it's still in the street.
-- A better signature is coming soon.

teraus
Private

ponte grande

Unread post by teraus » Sat May 07, 2005 6:28 am

thanks guys for all your help i am now going to wipe out those tanks and get ready for the next mission

BFI
Private

ponte grande

Unread post by BFI » Sat May 07, 2005 8:26 pm

the nice thing on this mission so far in my experience is once the tanks are busy with destroyin the bridge, they wont engage u so all u gotta worr about is the infantry.

the tank that worries me is the one in the mission before, sicily 1, the one that rolls along the road after u get up the hill, ive only bothered killin it in coop getmyself killed and spawn behind it, im doin the game on carnage now so im not sure how im gonna get him.

Berry_Racer
Lieutenant

ponte grande

Unread post by Berry_Racer » Sun May 08, 2005 12:12 am

You can actully avoid that tank by taking all your men up the hill were the mg post is on the far left. However you seem to met it again at the back with the other one :wink: Alternatively i ususally leave a man with a sticky bomb under that small ledge just before you cross the road on the left. After the tank has got its back turned to you sprint out and it doesnt seem to notice you.

LondonSAS
Sergeant

ponte grande

Unread post by LondonSAS » Mon May 09, 2005 9:35 am

Interesting the totally different ways you fellahs use to do this mission, some good stuff here.....might try out a few of these tactics see how I get on. Just one point though, don't know how many of you have got as far as Very Hard on this, but all of the cool little strategies that we like to cook up just disappear.
If you stay on a PAK40 for more than 2 shots max, you'll be killed. If you leave any man static sniping from across the valley, he'll be killed within 4-5 shots.....and the biggest fucker on VH is that you have a time limit to secure the bridge. If you don't get down into the valley and diffuse the explosives within about 5 mins of the mission starting, or at least get your men onto the bridge, there is a cut scene where this little short arsed, ice cream selling, barber shop owning, cowardly, surrendering, spaghetti noshing, mountain wop greaseball appears and presses the fookin plunger!!!
I've got the VH saved game files to post, just talking to Jason about where and how o post them (I'm an IT luddite!!) so you can all go have a look for yourself. Droz and co. I'd be interested to see how you get on with your tactics on VH. Let me know.
LondonSAS

Berry_Racer
Lieutenant

ponte grande

Unread post by Berry_Racer » Mon May 09, 2005 11:52 am

The guy blows the bridge on all different levels, it just takes longer.
Lol and no offense but why is it in all your posts LondanSAS you seem to like to rant on about how you always play on very hard, trust me alot of other people do but they dont feel the need to tell everyone 1000000 times(slightly overly expressed):P please dont get angry im just saying :)

Drozdov
Major

ponte grande

Unread post by Drozdov » Mon May 09, 2005 8:02 pm

I've completed this mission a few times alone on VH in co-op mode (with no respawn) using my sniper/PAK tactics. Can't remember how different the mission is in co-op from SP though, only played SS through once in SP.

On co-op you can remain in the same spot, in the shade under the mountain near the left PAK 40, for the whole mission without getting shot. You will never be killed by infantry on the PAK 40, unless they get to your side of the ravine. Occasionally the Tiger will blow you up on its way past, but not before you've had a chance to blow it up. You only need to move from there to defuse the explosives.

Enough of the anti-Italian stereotyping rubbish.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

LondonSAS
Sergeant

ponte grande

Unread post by LondonSAS » Tue May 10, 2005 10:30 am

Hehe Berry.....point taken!! Not givin it the biggun, its just that every post is about strategies for the other levels, and nix works on VH, so I'm trying to get some input from people who play on that level to LEARN!! Hardly something to boast about..."I'm good at a PC game" is it?
Droz.... How do you get over the time limit for disabling the explosives if you stay on "our side" of the valley? And the Italian thing...fuck's sake lighten up...what is it with all you politically correct dudes? They eat spaghetti, cut hair, sell icecreams and surrender, make me wrong.....
LondonSAS

Berry_Racer
Lieutenant

ponte grande

Unread post by Berry_Racer » Tue May 10, 2005 10:42 am

[quote=""SASLondan""]
How do you get over the time limit for disabling the explosives if you stay on "our side" of the valley?
[/quote]

well Drozdov actully stated that if you had read properly......but anyway back to the topic :)

[quote=""Drozdov""] You only need to move from there to defuse the explosives.
[/quote]

LondonSAS
Sergeant

ponte grande

Unread post by LondonSAS » Tue May 10, 2005 2:53 pm

Berry, when you're through digging me out over everything I post, read MY question. I said before that you get probably no more than 5 or 6 mins (might be a little more, seems about that though) to get stuck into the explosives in the valley, or get your men onto the bridge on their way over (seems if you actually get onto the bridge and start moving in the direction of the detonator, the time limit seems to get longer, and the wop...oops sorry, Italian, doesn't detonate it). Drozdov's sniping seems to be a simple solution, but it would be good to know at what stage he makes his move into the valley. I've had a bitch of a time with this mission and wanna try new things.
Anything in the above you want to take a pop at? Spelling mistakes maybe.....? :)
LondonSAS