Somes AI question (again) from a newcomer

Think you're a Hidden & Dangerous 2 pro, discuss your strategies here or ask for help.
Bongokid
Private

Unread post by Bongokid » Thu May 05, 2005 3:29 pm

Hey all,

Good to find a H&D2 forum still alive and kicking !

I've just discovered the world of hidden and dangerous (i recieved the combo H&D2 and H&D sabre squadron a few days ago) and although i'm just at the 3rd mission in the first campaign, i've had a taste of this great tactical game.

A few interrogations about the tactical use of team mates :

- about which weapon they are gonna use :
1.can you actually force them to use a certain kind of weapon by manually switching what they hold ?
2.will they use the most adapted weapon for the situation at hand (i read a interesting report of a Sten Vs a panzer elsewhere in the forum ...)
3. Is giving them only one weapon the only way to ensure they are gonna use this one ?

- about Mgs such as the bren

i remarked in the 3 first missions of C1 that my man with a bren almost never used it, even when i used the tactical map to order 'kill' and repeatedly send the 'fire at will' order. Is it a known bug or was i doing something wrong ?

That's all for now, i'm really glad i ordered this great game, so immersive !

Cheers,

Bongokid

Berry_Racer
Lieutenant

Re: Somes AI question (again) from a newcomer

Unread post by Berry_Racer » Fri May 06, 2005 12:16 am

[quote=""Bongokid""]Hey all,

- about which weapon they are gonna use :
1.can you actually force them to use a certain kind of weapon by manually switching what they hold ?
2.will they use the most adapted weapon for the situation at hand (i read a interesting report of a Sten Vs a panzer elsewhere in the forum ...)
3. Is giving them only one weapon the only way to ensure they are gonna use this one ?
[/quote]

Hi
with allies using 2 weopons they switch to which one is most suited to the conditions such as sten guns round buildings and springfields in the middle of no where (or they suppose to, i havnt had any troubles in this department :? )
if you manully switch there weapon they will however switch back to which one they thinks best :evil:
- about Mgs such as the bren

i remarked in the 3 first missions of C1 that my man with a bren almost never used it, even when i used the tactical map to order 'kill' and repeatedly send the 'fire at will' order. Is it a known bug or was i doing something wrong ?
Seen as bren gunners must lie down to shoot, they can sometimes not see enimies that they could standing up( such as a small hill just in front) if this is the case the bren gunner wont even bother lying down....this could be your problem, one thing that i often use when using a bren gunner is the line formation so that they stay horizontal to you which helps so you can both crawl up to and peer over a ledge at the same time :)
That's all for now, i'm really glad i ordered this great game, so immersive !

Cheers,
enjoy, make sure you shoot some africa corps units for me plz :D
p.s i say it always so ill say it now :P make sure your patched to 1.12

Bongokid
Private

Unread post by Bongokid » Fri May 06, 2005 2:40 am

Thanks for the answers Berry_racer :D

Having finished the 1st campaign i have come to the conclusion that my squad will act quite reasonnably in most situations, i just have to be not too demanding. Also i think that the AI can see much less farther than i can which could explain their inaction in some seemingly obvious cases.

i also have noticed that one squad mate changed weapons to a SMG when entering the submarine which confirms what you pointed at. My question came from observing the rescued pilot in C1M3 prefferring his pistol to a german rifle i had brouth him :?

Back to my planning of the attack of the italian airbase :D

Cheers,

Bongokid.

PS: a last one, has anyone completed the game entirely from the tactical view point ? without any direct control over a squad member ?

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Fri May 06, 2005 2:24 pm

It's best to directly control your LMG gunner when you want him to use it on a far away target while your squad is on the move. If he's prone and stationary, he won't switch weapons. It's a good idea to position your lmg using the tactical map if you want him to provide a base of fire.

I believe the AI will only switch weapons when they are on 'tactical' mode and not just following the leader. So if you gave them an order in tactical mode they will choose whichever weapon they feel is best, and they often get it wrong. :evil: Get them out of tactical mode and they will use whatever weapon you select for them. At least I think that's right...

Note: If they're in silent mode they will automatically select any silenced weapons they have! Don't worry though, that doesn't mean they will pull out a knife if they have nothing else silent. :?
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

BFI
Private

Unread post by BFI » Fri May 06, 2005 7:52 pm

i have many difficulties gettin my squad to do what i want, seems what i think they are gonna do is not what they decide to do, i tend to manually switch between squad mates and do the killing myself.

Berry_Racer
Lieutenant

Unread post by Berry_Racer » Sat May 07, 2005 4:32 am

[quote=""Drozdov""]I believe the AI will only switch weapons when they are on 'tactical' mode and not just following the leader. So if you gave them an order in tactical mode they will choose whichever weapon they feel is best, and they often get it wrong. :evil: Get them out of tactical mode and they will use whatever weapon you select for them. At least I think that's right...
[/quote]
nope it isnt just in the taticial map they always change to what they believe is best, even when following.......aleast they do for me, but my squad members seem to cause me no amount of trouble, as apossed to what others are saying, so who knows :roll:

Bongokid
Private

Unread post by Bongokid » Sat May 07, 2005 1:59 pm

I did the attack of the oasis last night and this time my Bren guy made a massacre of the italians without any help from me, and the whole squad was quite efficient at clearing the little houses neatly without looking dumbly at a italian arming his MP40. So my squad seems to begin to resemble yours Berry-racer :D

on a side note, i didn't find any way to cross the desert to the oasis other than rushing all the way in my jeep (yep even across the AA gun and Tanks). i lost one fellow in the atempt.

any other strat yielded to a slow massacre from the above and i didn't find a way to approach the tank close enough to harm it.

any miracle strat ?

Bongokid

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Sat May 07, 2005 6:18 pm

It's easier to get the tank to move towards you. It should drive to your squad's location as soon as it arrives. I liked to position my squad along the ridge on the west of the map in front of the oil tanks, just next to the road. The tank will go for you - get most of your squad out of the way and control one soldier with a bazooka. Wait at the top of the ridge for the tank to go over, then send a bazooka rocket up its arse when it does.

Berry_Racer
Lieutenant

Unread post by Berry_Racer » Sun May 08, 2005 12:20 am

I usually use the broken tank at the start of all the ruins, on top of the hill. It is broke exept for the cannon which has about 9 rounds in it. How ever you should sneak to it because sometimes some guy tries to get into it. If he does just fall back and after after a short wait he jumps out and walks round, seeming to have the memory of a golf fish :D

If you do take it slow and kill all the enimie, make sure you get the guy lying down hidding behind some stuff near where the tank is. He is injuired and doesnt shoot, so make sure you knife him so that he doesnt spend all eternity nursing his wounds :?

LondonSAS
Sergeant

Unread post by LondonSAS » Wed May 11, 2005 4:04 pm

You horrible bastard Berry...where's your humanity? You'll be getting Drozdov and the PC squad on your case if you keep on like that. You could always patch the poor squarehead up and send him on his way. You fookin wait til I see you on MP, you better not try and surrender you murdering SOB!! :twisted:

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Wed May 11, 2005 5:54 pm

Another Englishman with a complex about the PC brigade. :roll:

AK
Private

Unread post by AK » Thu May 12, 2005 5:53 pm

He is injuired and doesnt shoot, so make sure you knife him so that he doesnt spend all eternity nursing his wounds
I'd captured a German sidearm and figured that it needed a function check, lo and behold I found him.
-- A better signature is coming soon.

Berry_Racer
Lieutenant

Unread post by Berry_Racer » Fri May 13, 2005 12:54 am

[quote=""LondonSAS""]You horrible bastard Berry...where's your humanity? You'll be getting Drozdov and the PC squad on your case if you keep on like that. You could always patch the poor squarehead up and send him on his way. You fookin wait til I see you on MP, you better not try and surrender you murdering SOB!! :twisted:[/quote]

I didnt know small pieces of script and an image cared if they were killed or not, considering they are respawed when the map is restarted, also i didnt know having abit of light hearted fun in hidden and dangerous offended people... :shock:

LondonSAS
Sergeant

Unread post by LondonSAS » Fri May 13, 2005 10:47 am

Jesus Berry you muppet, I aint offended :shock: I was just having a light hearted dig......... My latest habit is to play every mission on carnage, and when I'm sure every kraut, wop or nip is dead, collect every body on the map and lay em out in neat rows, sort all their weapons out into piles of Kar's, MP40s and Parabellems, then get my homies to stand over em touting their pieces, and do a screen shot...hehe
London SAS