The secret objectives of HD2, and the seemingly impossible ones!

Think you're a Hidden & Dangerous 2 pro, discuss your strategies here or ask for help.
Zunami
Corporal

The secret objectives of HD2, and the seemingly impossible ones!

Unread post by Zunami » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:56 pm

I've played through HD2 several times in my life already, but everytime I pick up the game again, I notice yet another secret objective I had once missed. So I decided to dig out a walkthrough to check them off one by one this time... It turned out I had gotten most of them right by now, but the walkthrough often mentioned that there was an included objective in the map that would never trigger, even if you accomplished it. I couldn't help to wonder how the hell the author would know such a thing if the objective is hidden and never triggers? So it made me think, is there a way to "unveil" optional objectives?

Also, one of the objectives operation snowball: rendevouz was to complete the mission with all of the boat crew still alive. The author of the walkthrough says speed is the key, but I posted a man at the watch tower near the gate to the docks and thus was able to see them as soon as they appear. The soldier that is dying when you arrive seems to be dying from nothing and dying upon arrival. No matter how fast I run to get that pilot (still don't understand why Sygurd doesn't just take him through the swamp and meet you where you cut the fence) and back, I can't make it.
Does anyone know if there is infact an optional objective about keeping all of the boat crew alive, and if it CAN be accomplished?

I'll update this thread as I encounter other difficulties with the optional objectives.
- ST

Wesley
Sergeant

Re: The secret objectives of HD2, and the seemingly impossible ones!

Unread post by Wesley » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Maybe the secret is keeping a distance from the "dying" soldier until you've saved the rest of the crew, then rushing over at the end of the mission... :lol:

All right all right. I have some ideas.

What if you leave a soldier over there before the boat arrives? Either that or the guy is dying the minute you leave the underground facility.

I just did this mission again and I'm not sure how many guys are supposed to be there, but I did not see any dead - no message that time.

Or just split your team: half to the boat, half to the cabin and back!
Last edited by Wesley on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:24 pm

Zunami wrote: Also, one of the objectives operation snowball: rendevouz was to complete the mission with all of the boat crew still alive.
Actually Prima's Official Strategy Guide says "Save most of the ship's crew."

Unfortunately, I haven't out how to get it either.  :-?

Duke0196
Captain

Re: The secret objectives of HD2, and the seemingly impossib

Unread post by Duke0196 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:39 pm

Wesley wrote: Maybe the secret is keeping a distance from the "dying" soldier until you've saved the rest of the crew, then rushing over at the end of the mission... :lol:
Just snuck all my guys & pilot onto the dock next to the Higgins Boat but I definitely had to go back to talk to the dying soldier on the landing to trigger the fact that we had rescued the pilot.
Wesley wrote: What if you leave a soldier over there before the boat arrives? Either that or the guy is dying the minute you leave the underground facility.
I just tried that.  Talking to Ken Wills (the pilot) apparently triggers the boat's arrival but watch out for a couple of snipers.  While trying to keep my head down the dying soldier magically shows up on the landing along with his mate on the other side of the pier.
Wesley wrote: I just did this mission again and I'm not sure how many guys are supposed to be there, but I did not see any dead - no message that time.
Three: one on the twin .30s on the PT Boat and the two on the pier landings.
Last edited by Duke0196 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:49 pm

I forgot to mention that I tried "bumping" into the commando with the Garand on the pier landing to get him to follow me.  No such luck.

You might already know this, and I don't know if this only works in SS missions, but sometimes bumping into guys would add them to your team.  You could not control them directly by jumping into their body but you could control them via commands or the tactical map.  You can get two extra commandos that way at Point Grande and the one commando at the beginning of Double Action.  Again, these are SS missions.

Hope this helps.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:19 am

I haven't completed that objective since before SS. I am pretty sure SS broke the script. I haven't looked into it as I don't play single player enough to care, and there is no coop conversion of that map. If there was I would definitely try and get that working.

Those are not .50s, they are .30s, M1919A4s to be exact, and that is not a Higgins, it is an 80 foot Elco.

It is only on those specific missions.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:22 am

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: Those are not .50s, they are .30s, M1919A4s to be exact,
Good catch.  Earlier boats used .30s shifting to .50s later on.  thup01
-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: and that is not a Higgins, it is an 80 foot Elco.
Prima's Official Strategy Guide calls it a 78' Higgins which makes sense since seven were transferred to the Britain (46 to USSR).  All 10 Elco 70's, 10 Elco 77's, and 10 Huckins 78's also went to Britain.  Elco 80's served with the fleet and USSR.

No matter, PT's were all out of the fleet when I was in.  :sad:

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:03 pm

Duke0196 wrote: Good catch. 
I can't say that it is; anybody that knows anything knows they are ".30s." :mrgreen:
Duke0196 wrote:Prima's Official Strategy Guide calls it a 78' Higgins which makes sense since seven were transferred to the Britain (46 to USSR).
Which part makes sense? That they made a mistake? Prima guides are not meant to be historically accurate. Have you ever seen a Higgins 78'? It is undoubtedly an Elco 80'. The easiest way to discern is the positions of the machine guns, the Higgins 78' has both up towards the bow, the Elco has one starboard towards the bow and one port towards the stern. The scripts even refer to it as an "ELKO."
-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: I haven't looked into it as I don't play single player enough to care, and there is no coop conversion of that map. If there was I would definitely try and get that working.
As it happens, I got bored and looked into it. I managed to get it working. The script points to the wrong man for starters.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:19 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: Have you ever seen a Higgins 78'?
Yes, about 35 years ago.
-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: As it happens, I got bored and looked into it. I managed to get it working. The script points to the wrong man for starters.
Good on ya mate.

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:16 pm

Zunami wrote:one of the objectives operation snowball: rendevouz was to complete the mission with all of the boat crew still alive.....speed is the key, but I posted a man at the watch tower near the gate to the docks and thus was able to see them as soon as they appear.
Thats the best way exactly to achieve this objective. I have managed to accomplish this optional task and fairly easy, if you have good shooters.
What I do is to assemble 3 soldiers at the tower, one sniper facing the main gate but crouched and stick to the tower wall, 2nd soldier with enfield at the ladder steps and crouched facing the centre of the area and 3rd with enfield facing the oil reserves.

In the beginning atleast one soldier used to get killed no matter how high shooting skills he had. the reason was the sniper which spawns at the far end (behind the oil reserves) who gets a clear shot to one of my men on the tower facing him and so after the cutscene I used to run as quickly to that enemy, kill him and than position the rest on the tower. I had no soldier dying after cleaning out that rat hiding outside north of the area. :mrgreen:

Zunami
Corporal

Unread post by Zunami » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:35 am

Soo, this seems to have turned into a battle about who has this biggest wang.. Oh! Wait! I meant the most historically accurate knowledge. My bad (same shit).

Anyway, So I get mixed messages from people. I SWEAR that I've managed to protect that guy on the boat by now, without letting ANYONE get to him, and killed EVERY German soldier on that base, without ANYONE even getting NEAR him.
He still dies upon my arrival and I get to drag his body to the boat.

I still think I got the objective accomplished actually <.< So that's weird.

My guess is, he has to die, and if he didn't you probably missed him, a script failed to run correctly or he vanished for some reason. OR it is actually SOMEHOW possible to save him, but no one seems to have figured out what criteria has to be met for this to happen. Obviously it has nothing to do with him getting shot, but it might be a time factor that I'm simply not good enough to meet. I'm not a hardcore gamer here. So, I guess it will remain a mystery to me.

I didn't know about this trick where you could basically hump people and convert them to your squad members! That's pretty sweet actually. I'll have to try that out! Is there a post somewhere here that discusses that further?

Regarding hidden objectives, any clue as to how you can unveil them?

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Zunami wrote:Soo, biggest wang..
Soo, you like 'em big? Is that why you wear that mask? fingers01
Zunami wrote:So, I guess it will remain a mystery to me.
As will many things... but to be specific, the objective worked in a version previous to 1.12. Last time I remember it working was at launch.. so version 1.0/1.01.
Zunami wrote:Regarding hidden objectives, any clue as to how you can unveil them?
Yes, I believe the quickest and easiest way, is to go in to the texty file. Located in the Text folder.

Zunami
Corporal

Unread post by Zunami » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:50 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote:
Zunami wrote:Soo, biggest wang..
Soo, you like 'em big? Is that why you wear that mask? fingers01
Yeah, thats totally helping your case :p
Btw, Halloween =/= Penis obsession... But I guess they aren't mutually exclusive ;)

Anyway, thanks for the answer.