Nade Spammers and Snipers.

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
Talbot
Private

Nade Spammers and Snipers.

Unread post by Talbot » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:33 pm

The combination of the two seem to create un-playable arenas especially on Normandy 3. There is a serious over-reliance on grenades and snipers in this game and consequently you end up with a tking/camp fest. For example, I engage in combat only to find that my opponent lobs 3 grenades at me (while I'm shooting at him in the middle of a road) and tries to run away, he then gets shot in the back and I move away from the grenades. Does it not occur to some people to actually use their gun instead of simply pressing the nade hotkey? And then you have the wonderful world of sniping... everyone picks a space and just sits there for the whole 30-60 minutes so you have about 5 people out of 30 doing all the fighting!

I know some servers have gone to lengths to limit the use of grenades and in some cases totally remove them from the game but it just so happens that the busiest Occ. server (IFJD) is a total nade/snipe fest. You can't walk 5 feet without being blown up by a grenade; the worst is the spawn nading... a shite player can rake up some serious kills if he lands a nade in that spawn area just at the right time.

You might say 'it's the game' as I've heard other people say to ranters like me but to be honest I just can't believe the developers wanted it to be played like this. Would it not be possible for servers to disallow use of the nade hotkey thus forcing players to select it manually? Would limiting the amount of sniper rifles be a possibility?

Just some thoughts.

Drozdov
Major

Re: Nade Spammers and Snipers.

Unread post by Drozdov » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:07 am

I know, it's annoying, I've said often enough to our server host that he should get rid of grenades but he never listens - bastard likes to use them himself.  no_02

Though I have to say I've never had any problems with oversniping in H&D. Sniping's not really that effective for most players, only on Normandy 3 do many people go for it - and then they're really only a nuisance when they get up on top of the bridge and shoot you when you're focusing on the ground battle.

Unfortunately it's not possible to disable the grenade hotkey - I wish it was, it'd make people think twice about throwing a grenade if if took longer than holding 'G' for half a second. It's also not possible to limit the amount of snipers per side. All we can do is get rid of grenades and sniper rifles from the player screen menu, but we can't get rid of grenades/rifles from item boxes, where they are on some maps. Getting rid of grenades makes from the inventory list makes the game so much more fun.

I'll try and pester our admin again but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Talbot
Private

Unread post by Talbot » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:38 am

Ok I over reacted on the sniper front, I had literally just finished a game on Normandy 3 where I was consistantly sniped and never managed to find the heathens who got me.

Nading is definately more of an annoyance because people use them to compensate for their lack of... how can I put it... attunement with their rifle. To be honest though, I would be rid of grenades, sniper rifles (limit them in number) and the X-Hair if I had it my way. I was on a server recently where they had disabled the X-Hair and got rid of grenades completely.  Alot of players get an extra buzz of confidence if they have that all important white cross to guide their rifle but this often leads to 'Enemy at the Gates' style suicide runs. With the X-Hair disabled people were actually taking care in how they progressed, using cover effectively and just generally acting how soldiers would in that kind of scenario (I would imagine anyway). Perhaps the main plus is the fact that you can no longer side step and fire with perfect precision, this also means that the BAR gets used as a suppressive weapon (as it was in WW2) rather than an all purpose TX1000 killing machine.

Ok I managed to bring up a whole new subject there, sorry about that, this part of the forum seemed kinda dead anyway.

Drozdov, do you play on the IFJD server, is that the one you're talking about?

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Like you have said, you dont like the snipers because you cant kill them...
Ill concider this a moot point...

About the grenades tho, I usually kill with my Carbine, but throwing the grenades like you have described offers you time to duck, reload, rethink your plan or what not while your enemy is worrying about the grenades...

Believe it or not, the BAR wasnt a very effective suppressive weapon...

I cant believe you are apologizing for the natural progression of a conversation...
Did you grow up in a town where they cut your hands off for touching another mans doorknob?
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Talbot
Private

Unread post by Talbot » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:32 pm

The snipers are really only a problem on Normandy 3, on other maps you're able to flank them easily and see them off as required. A moot point indeed.

Ok point taken about the BAR, I assumed it was originally designed to do something like that being a heavy big gun. But my point was that it wasn't nearly as effective unless you hunkered down and brang up the iron sights which, with the X_hair, you didn't need to do much unless a target was a long way off (Czech 6).

I grew up in West London actually  :P

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:12 pm

I don't really play on any server much these days, but I'm part of 1FJD, although I'm not in control of our server.

I find removing the crosshairs has two effects - it makes the lag dances last longer (on average), and encourages the use of machine guns. Other than that, I've not noticed people playing in a realistic way because of it, but it does stop players headshotting you from 200m as they sidestep at high speed with a BAR. Small differences. It would also encourage sniper rifles...
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Talbot
Private

Unread post by Talbot » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:07 pm

Must of been just a one of then. I found that people stopped and looked through their Ironsights to fire.