What's your favourite mission

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.

What's your favourite mission?

Poll runs till Fri Jul 15, 2039 3:03 am

Deadfish
17%
Mouse in the House
No votes
Snakebite
13%
Sitting Duck
26%
Chestnut
No votes
Ponte Grande
30%
Double Action
9%
Razor Blade
4%
Guardian Angels
No votes

Total votes: 23

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:11 am

I dont know which one was my favorite, I myself liked Husky and Houndsmith, aswell as the first operation.

Myself the Africa operation was rather disapointing, IMO in original H&D2 the Africa campaing was beter.

But I could say I like them all.
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

wigwam
Private

Unread post by wigwam » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:44 pm

I voted snakebite....i have to say the first time i did it was with 4 soldiers and just went about it the normal sort of way..

Second time i did it with 1 soldier and did it the maddest way i could i.e. drivinf
as fast and far into the map as possible then bailing out, hiding and just doing what i had to to get to the end...it took quite a while but was far more satisfying :)

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:02 pm

Driving around then jumping out and hiding behind rocks... sounds like fun :lol:

I've played both styles as well, with all 4 then just solo. I played basically the same way. I find the map is really easy when you hide and snipe all the enemy soldiers... a couple times you have to hop behind a MG though :wink:

It is a good map, probably my favourite Africa map.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

wigwam
Private

Unread post by wigwam » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:24 am

I agree snipeing is too easy..so i took a rifle instead and plenty of grenades...
although if i saw a Kabrnier optics lying around i would probably employ the thing lol

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:40 am

An enemy soldier near the first MG nest has one of those :wink:

That second tank can be a real pain in the butt sometimes. I swear it is just luck of the draw when using the german anti-tank gun to snipe it from the MG nest. I normally try that first, if by the 5th load :lol: I haven't done it I just grab my jeep then go in with one man, park behind the destroyed truck and blast the tank away. Always works :roll:
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

greatwhitenorth
Private

Re: What's your favourite mission

Unread post by greatwhitenorth » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:48 pm

to alexander and da fish: the british were in fact involved with the battle of the bulge in the ardennes, although not to as great an extent as the americans.  The British casualties of the battle were approximately 1, 400. on top of that, who knows what groups like the SAS were doing

synchro
Private

Unread post by synchro » Tue May 26, 2009 7:15 pm

greatwhitenorth wrote: to alexander and da fish: the british were in fact involved with the battle of the bulge in the ardennes, although not to as great an extent as the americans.  The British casualties of the battle were approximately 1, 400. on top of that, who knows what groups like the SAS were doing
that is correct. SOE were used once the ss150 Pzbrigade was understood to be a covert ops unit speaking english so tentative reons wrr performed to spot them [unsuccessfuly]
NEVER SAY DIE AGAIN!

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Yes the British 6th Ariborne was involved in the Ardennes Offensive. So it could have actually made it into SS. Devils Bridge did a first class job with it in my opinion.

I enjoyed the maps in SS because they attempted to recapture that huge feeling that the original had. You could see targets before accurate shooting range and could observe patrols and the like. I liked the colour scheme and genre layout of Ponte Grande but the combat doesn't suit the LS3D engine and the sound FX were there best. I'm an ardent believer that strong sounds can make or break a game, film etc. It would figure since I'm a musician  :mrgreen:

The North Africa missions were fun but the Darnis Zarine map is hard to play since its so fantastic and is more the domain of a covert op mission. The Canyon was a deliberate throwback to the Devils Bridge Greece mission which I will say was and still is a definitive piece of atmospheric gaming work. Unfortunately H&D2's engine and graphic style doesn't allow for that same effectiveness.

Ammobox is epic. Period. I love it for all the reasons Jason has stated. Great lighting, sound, atmosphere, map layout etc. The only thing that could have made it better was the ability to capture a German and use the unform to exploit the map that way and to have had German foot and vehicle traffic (trucks, passing cars with Kreigmarine officers etc.) outside the perimeter. Would have added tension like in the firs Liberator level when the Feldgendarmerie at the start check the papers of the oncoming truck.

Houndsmith was based on real SAS ops as is most of SS. But the feel of the woods level was nice. Not the potential that final Liberator level possessed. I feel the woods of Eastern and Central Europe just hold a more sinister atmosphere.
They Dared and Won..... And They Were Hidden and Dangerous.
1941-1945

unidentifiedSAS
Private

Unread post by unidentifiedSAS » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:29 am

It's definetly ponte grande

I like that I can practise both things that i like-sniping and taking out tanks

Although I have tried many tactics on that mission including a mad heavygunner assault on the reinforcements the best strategy that works for me is sniping them from the allied side. 
Last edited by unidentifiedSAS on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-What hurts more than a frontal assault on the enemy's base is poor planning-

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:07 am

I'm surprised that so many liked the Ponte Grande mission. Its direct confrontational exchange seemed more like the domain of the main market fps'. Not saying that H&D shouldn't have battle missions (the originals' mission to Prague is simply brilliant). I just expected the kind of people who played this game favored the stealth based tactics or indirect approach.

As a side note : I'd pay the price of a new game just to see the Prague mission updated  :mrgreen:
They Dared and Won..... And They Were Hidden and Dangerous.
1941-1945

Zunami
Corporal

Unread post by Zunami » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:31 am

When I think Sabre Squadron, I think of operation Dead Fish. It's just the way it is...
It's one of the most challenging stealth missions in the game. I loved it very much.
I always spent a lot of time trying to get everything perfect and finding new entry points and so on. I definitely had lots of fun with this level.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:33 pm

I love the Deadfish mission because it's the only H&D2 level that really captures the atmosphere of the original H&D game in my opinion :cool:

jacobston
Lieutenant

Unread post by jacobston » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:08 am

I voted sitting duck. I am a huge fan of all of the desert missions, although I feel "Spaghetti Airport" would have been better at night, and if I could give the charges a longer fuse. But I guess I liked Sitting Duck because it was sort-of a combination of the Oasis mission and the Spaghetti Airport mission.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm not sure I ever thought about that but I think you're right it would probably be better at night. It's an action mission at heart but I've always tried to go stealthy, it just would work better as a pure stealth mission I feel.

jacobston
Lieutenant

Unread post by jacobston » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:16 am

I do the same thing. I go "They Who Dare" style between the tents to plant explosives on the plane before it can take off. Or I quietly plant a bunch of mines where the reinforcements come in.

I suppose that I really wasn't too fond of was the last one, Burgundy 3. It was a good mission but I think, just because of the style of it, it would have worked better adapted as another Pacific Theater mission. I wonder if the Poland map would have made a better Burgundy 3?