In defence of MINES

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
TomStone
Private

In defence of MINES

Unread post by TomStone » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:00 am

[quote=""Drozdov""]Err, you say you should expect a mine in a corridor? Ok, was unaware that it was realistic for mines to be buried in stone...

Mines are not fun, not fair, obnoxious, and hugely buggy. But aside from that, they're great.[/quote]

OK, first of all, Drozdov, the old 'reality' argument just doesn't cut it. Never has. This is a game, games are not real regardless of how much you try to project you own wishes onto them. And, yes, you should expect mines in corridors. They are not too dificult to notice. You should expect them. You should keep your eyes open for them.

"Mines are not fun, Obnoxious..."?

Obnoxious is a rediculous argument. How can they be obnoxious and also getting sniped isn't fun either.

"Buggy"

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

In defence of MINES

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:13 pm

No, Drozdov is rite...

Ill fight to the death for him here...

These mine should NOT be burried in concrete!

In the sand fine, but not in hallways!

Unless they are going to start showing there whole body ontop of the floor; like when you drop 1 on the floor...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Grimples
Major

In defence of MINES

Unread post by Grimples » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:09 pm

There should have been trip-wires in the game, maybe this is what the devs were thinking when allowing you place mines in concrete.
I feel they are pain in the butt, but they ARE part of the game, & whoever uses them will just a get a mouthfull of abuse from me, don't care who's server i am on.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

In defence of MINES

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:24 pm

I just have them disabled...

I make the game an expieriance I want to have...

Only thing I need now is a ban option for non dedicated servers...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Sgt_Steiner
Private

Re: In defence of MINES

Unread post by Sgt_Steiner » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:04 am

well i like mines myself, though i dont use them a lot in game. in multiplayer games i have no qualms about players using mines i havent tried out all the maps but in most maps its fairly easy to detect mines and so far i havent had any problems defusing them. the only real qualm about the mines though is that in multiplayer games mines laid by you do not explode if you walk over them or maybe im doing something wrong. i say keep the mines but dont over use them, thats all.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:55 am

Yes, its nice to pretend that players will police themselves in this situation...
It might be easy to detect them, but its annoying to see them inside the floor...
You dont die from your own mines because you know where they are, this is simulating you not stepping on them...

Quenaelin
Private

Unread post by Quenaelin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:27 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote: You dont die from your own mines because you know where they are, this is simulating you not stepping on them...
I think this is quite unrealistic, mines should allways blast no matter if it is friendly or not, you should remember where you lay your own mines or that is your loss if you don't.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:02 pm

Eh, sure if there was an "avoid mine" action, but as is I think it is actually realistic in the sense that you are avoiding your mine... If they were to change it you would be blocking your own path when you lay a mine...

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:52 pm

It should be possible to step on your own mines, would make people think twice about using them in some situations. What sort of mine is it in game? It has a little tab thing so I presume it's activated by vibration, might make it too sensitive to walk over even if you know it's there. It's not a major issue, as Vita says it has plausibility but I think it's a bit much that you can dance up and down over your mine and not have it go off. Or even worse, lay a mine in a corridoor, get someone to follow you and lead them over your mine.

The main mine issues are the fact they can be buried in some floors, placed in concrete and also, can't be jumped over and are triggered using only an X/Y position check (no Z axis, so you can be 10 feet over a mine and set it off, although in practice this is a good defence against unfairly placed mines).
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:28 pm

Its an SMi-35, pressure activated... I believe you should be able to bait people onto your mines... I dont dance over mines so...

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:09 pm

Sure, but not by leading someone behind you in a straight line over your mine which you don't set off but they do.

They should have made it possible to jump over mines, and made mines triggerable by anybody. This would more realistically simulate a player knowing where they've put a mine but still having to actively avoid it.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:30 pm

Its risky but quite plausible if you were desperate to kill somebody... You would be able to step rite over the activator if you marked it or just gambled on great memory...

Maybe if I had the same frustrated point of view you had, I would agree, but I dont; I havent had to contend with mines for over a year... I removed all the SMi 35s from my games until the axis are corrected and you can only place mines on disturbable ground...

I think you should be able to walk rite over your mines; pretending that you have marked the spot in an indiscriminate way and that your teammates know this marker and they can walk over it as well, for game plays sake with out being unrealistic... Also make it more difficult for you to actually step on the mine, lower the triggering radius to be more precise... Where is the next patch?
Quenaelin wrote: I think this is quite unrealistic, mines should allways blast no matter if it is friendly or not, you should remember where you lay your own mines or that is your loss if you don't.
Wait; do people actually forget where they placed their mines?
Last edited by -ViTaMiHnM203- on Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.