Gamma settings and questions

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
Daniel
Lieutenant

Unread post by Daniel » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:06 pm

Firstly, how do I know what to set my gamma settings at? Also, online, there is notihing to stop other people having unrealistically high levels of gamma to allow them to see you more easily when hiding and stuff - does this affect the game a lot or is it not too bad? And how can I just my gamma to be a realistic level?

Also, the game won' let my action button be f at the same time as a tactical mode button for "slow" - why is this? Is there any way to force the game to let me do that? Either that or does anyone have some control setup suggestions?

I have the courage under fire edition, so I installed H&D2 and then SS and then I put the sabre squadron patch on (i think there is only one ss patch?) - is this all I need or do I need the H&D patch also? I also notice that if I click the H&D exe I can only play H&D but if I click SS exe I can play both - so is this the so called "unification" of the games? If so, why didn't it just make it so there was only one exe? I assum I don't actually need the H&D exe anymore then?

I am playing on very hard. Is this a bad idea? :D I just think it is best to try on hardest straight away? Since otherwise you know what will happen in the levels, so replaying again on hard makes it not necessarily harder, as you know what you are up against etc.

Any tips on playing and stuff then?

Cheers, Daniel

Malefactor
Private

Re: Gamma settings and questions

Unread post by Malefactor » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:36 pm

[quote=""Daniel""]I am playing on very hard. Is this a bad idea?[/quote]

Saves during a mission are disabled on the very hard difficulty level.You must make it to the end of each mission without getting killed.It can be quite annoying when you get so close to completing a mission and get killed and have to start from the beginning again.One gets 3 saves per level on hard,and unlimited saves per level on any difficulty below hard.

As for whether that is a bad idea or not,that is for you to decide.
:P

Daniel
Lieutenant

Unread post by Daniel » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:36 pm

I heard there was a sort of bug on very hard that meant people don't EVER surrender? Is this true? Cos apparently it means you can't actually complete a mission because of this? Is it the same on hard or is it okay? I might try on just hard then, hehe :D

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:25 pm

That's right, you can't get past one of the missions on very hard as you have to get the uniform from someone, which is only possible if they surrender, and they can't. It's best to play on hard I think, it's the right balance between challenging and frustrating. There's not that much difference between very hard and hard, I think the only difference is the number of saves (and the fact they can't surrender on very hard). The actual skill of the enemy soldiers is no higher, or so I've been told.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Presley
Private

Unread post by Presley » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:29 pm

Yes, that's true.
On very hard it's impossible to finish some mission (as I remember). The nazis don't want to surrender or it's practicly not possible to force them to surrender.

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:37 pm

Also, I suggest you use the right mouse key as your action button! That way you can open doors and so on much faster.

You don't really need shortcut keys for the tactical mode (at least I never used them). I think you'd only need them if you were playing on tactical mode in real time. If the tactical mode keys are causing conflicts, just remap them, they're not important. There's no way of forcing H&D to allow you to have 2 functions for the same button, at least not for the action button, as it's also used in tactical mode.

Daniel
Lieutenant

Unread post by Daniel » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:24 am

okay, but if I put action button as my RMB, then what do I set as my alternate fire button?

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:19 am

LoL, I wonder if Drozy has a 7 button mouse or not......

How many buttons you got Daniel??????
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:20 am

That really depends on what you're comfortable with. I use the Numpad 0 for that, but that's only easy to access if you use the arrow keys to move (like I do). If you're using WASD for movement, you'd want to change it to something closer to hand. Controls are mostly a question of personal choice.

Daniel
Lieutenant

Unread post by Daniel » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:48 am

Ah I see, so for me, atm F is action, so just swit action with alt fire. That makes sense possibley :P hehe. I actually have a five button mouse, and thankfully H&D 2 actually lets you use the 2 extra buttons, as most games seem to not pick them up :-/ so I use them for weapon change. I use middle for drop, since it is a not very good button to press and so I can't have it as something I would need regularly.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:12 am

You can probably get a program that will bind the mouse buttons to other keys that HD2 will asccept as controls... My drivers do this for me....

How many people actually use the arrows!?
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Malefactor
Private

Unread post by Malefactor » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:03 pm

I also use the arrow keys for movement.I found that was more convenient for me than using the WASD keys.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:24 pm

LoL

Daniel
Lieutenant

Unread post by Daniel » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:43 pm

What do you mean also? :p He was implying that nobody used them, heheh.

Malefactor
Private

Unread post by Malefactor » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:49 pm

[quote=""Daniel""]What do you mean also?He was implying that nobody used them, heheh.[/quote]

Perhaps the following quote from a previous reply in this thread will explain my usage of the word also. :)

[quote=""Drozdov""]if you use the arrow keys to move (like I do)[/quote]